2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Caraval (Caraval, #1)
This topic is about Caraval
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > Caraval (Caraval #1)

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Jan 06, 2018 07:11AM) (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Stephanie Garber‘s book, Caraval.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Anastasia, Eirelyn, Joan, Susy, Eunice, BMAD_Addicts, Lindsay, Julia, Susan, SarahKat, Juliette, Debbie

message 2: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 102
Week 2: 102
Week 3: 102
Week 4: 102

Lindsay | 1327 comments Please can I join in.

message 4: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Lindsay wrote: "Please can I join in."

I have added you to the list of participants!

message 5: by Anastasia (new) - added it

Anastasia Are we starting this book now then? I’ve never done a buddy read before....

Julia Lowrence (juliettal) | 140 comments I'd like to join this reading, although I've never done a buddy read...

message 7: by Susy (new) - added it

Susy (susysstories) Anastasia wrote: "Are we starting this book now then? I’ve never done a buddy read before...."

You can start whenever you want Anastasia. Everybody starts, finishes and reads in his own pace and time. You can start reading and also start posting your thoughts about it, as long as you mark spoilers :)

message 8: by Susy (new) - added it

Susy (susysstories) Julia wrote: "I'd like to join this reading, although I've never done a buddy read..."

Cool, the more the merrier!

message 9: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 26 comments I'm going to join in all the buddy reads is that ok?

message 10: by Susy (new) - added it

Susy (susysstories) Susan wrote: "I'm going to join in all the buddy reads is that ok?"

Of course it is Susan!
Mary Pat will add you to the list of participants of all January buddy reads as soon as she sees your message :)

Welcome!!!

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments I am through chapter 6 & really enjoying the book so far. Scarlett & Julian have just (view spoiler).

There have been a lot of intriguing elements to this story so far, and I'm very interested to see where it all goes from here! :D

message 12: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 878 comments This one hasn't come in at the library yet for me.

message 13: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3250 comments I'd like to join this one too please. I read the first 2 chapters at the library and it grabbed me.

Also, Mary Pat can you add me to Throne of Glass? It fulfills a popsugar challenge for me I may as well get that done as well!

BMAD_addicts | 100 comments I haven't started on any of my buddy reads... I hope i can start reading those books soon and discuss with everybody how it goes

Julia Lowrence (juliettal) | 140 comments 6.30 am. I’ve just finished reading Caraval. Lol
I have such a different impressions because of this book and I would love to discuss it (after a good sleep:))
Ps. I’m a bit sad that it’s not a series of 3-5 books yet. Really want to stay in this magical world.

message 16: by Susy (new) - added it

Susy (susysstories) Julia wrote: "6.30 am. I’ve just finished reading Caraval. Lol
..."

OMG, without having slept??

message 17: by juliette (new) - added it

juliette | 20 comments Could I join? The books been sitting on my shelf waiting to be read

Julia Lowrence (juliettal) | 140 comments Susy wrote: "Julia wrote: "6.30 am. I’ve just finished reading Caraval. Lol
..."

OMG, without having slept??"

Fortunately, we have a holiday week and sleep is not that necessary :D

message 19: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie (debelizlam) | 12 comments I'm in!

message 20: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Julia, Susan, SarahKat, Juliette, Debbie - I have added all of you to the list of participants!

SarahKat, I have added you to Throne of Glass as well!

message 21: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments For our new buddy readers! Has all the nitty gritty details! :)

Check out the first post (here) for more information about Buddy Reads!

(It is especially important that participants mark spoilers appropriately so that the book’s contents are not revealed to someone who is not as far along as others is the group. You can mark spoilers by placing [spoiler] before the text and [/spoiler] after the text using <> instead of []. Let me know if you have any questions!)

message 22: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 878 comments My ebook loan came through on Overdrive. I have read through chapter 6 also. It is a fast read and I'm interested to see what the Caraval is all about. It does grab your interest from the start. I like the characters so far.

message 23: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3250 comments I'm on chapter 24 and I'll probably finish it pretty quickly. I really like it. It keeps me guessing. I can't really say much about it without spoilers, but things I thought were going to be predictable are not. Yet, at least.

Julia Lowrence (juliettal) | 140 comments SarahKat wrote: "I'm on chapter 24 and I'll probably finish it pretty quickly. I really like it. It keeps me guessing. I can't really say much about it without spoilers, but things I thought were going to be predic..."

I was sure it's sweet and predictable YA but I all my guesses were wrong:D
Share your opinion when you finish

message 25: by Susy (last edited Jan 10, 2018 10:30AM) (new) - added it

Susy (susysstories) SarahKat wrote: "I'm on chapter 24 and I'll probably finish it pretty quickly. I really like it. It keeps me guessing. I can't really say much about it without spoilers, but things I thought were going to be predic..."

You can mark your spoilers so other won't read it until they want to and open it, you do it like this:
[spoiler]your text[/spoiler]
but you use < and > instead of [ and ]

(can't use it correctly here otherwise it will change, like this (view spoiler))

message 26: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 878 comments I'm on night 1. I'm hoping to read all of night 1 tonight. It keeps the interest up as to what is going to happen and if it is just a game or not. Julian has me interested in what his character is going to do.

message 27: by Eirelyn (last edited Jan 11, 2018 01:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments 4.5 stars

I just finished this book and I really enjoyed it. It was the perfect mix of mystery & enchantment. I don't typically enjoy books with *lots* of detailed descriptions of the setting, but this book has the type of setting that calls for more details than usual, and I think Stephanie Garber nailed the perfect amount of details.

I had guessed several things throughout this book, but (view spoiler).

It reminded me a lot of a magical YA version of the movie (view spoiler).

This is the type of book that makes me cringe a little to think of it being turned into a movie because I am afraid they won't be able to capture the perfect balance of mystery & magic that the book conveys.

I loved the setting of this book. The world was developed so well, and the characters came to life on the page. I am glad that (view spoiler)

message 28: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 878 comments I read Night 1. I'll try to read Night 2 tonight. I'll have to admit the mystery has gripped me. I'm interested in what is going to happen and if people are what you think they are.

message 29: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3250 comments I finished this today. I LOVED it! Here's my review. The one "real" spoiler is marked, but I still wouldn't read mine or any reviews until you've finished. I think the book was more enjoyable without knowing anything, including outside opinions or comments.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 30: by Eirelyn (last edited Jan 12, 2018 12:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments SarahKat wrote: "I finished this today. I LOVED it! Here's my review. The one "real" spoiler is marked, but I still wouldn't read mine or any reviews until you've finished. I think the book was more enjoyable witho..."

I agree, SarahKat. I knew of one person who loved the book, but other than that, I really didn't know anything about it at all. I was glad to go into it that way. :D

message 31: by Joan (last edited Jan 12, 2018 04:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 878 comments Hmmmm I just read Night Two. I'm probably a little confused but think it will clear upon further reading. I wish I could stay home from work and finish it! I'm halfway through the book.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Joan wrote: "Hmmmm I just read Night Two. I'm probably a little confused but think it will clear upon further reading. I wish I could stay home from work and finish it! I'm halfway through the book."

About what are you confused? I don't remember what was happening in Night Two. XD (Don't worry, I won't explain any of it to you, lol; I'm just curious).

message 33: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 878 comments I finished the book. After Night Two I was confused about (view spoiler)

At the end I really read it fast because I wanted to know what happened. I liked the book. I ended up rating it 4 stars. (view spoiler)

message 34: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3250 comments Kristin wrote: "I have just started Chapter 9. I am not blown away by the writing but am still enjoying this book. It reminds me a bit like a soapy teen drama, and I suppose that is because it sort of is. It is a ..."

I understand what you're saying about not wanting to be right about everything. I sort of have "I think this is probably what's going on but I hope not" thoughts, but I also have "I really hope this is what's going on" thoughts.

I like to be surprised, so I don't actually spend much time thinking about what could happen. Like, when I read whodunit type mysteries I try not to formulate theories. I just let the story take me where it's going to.

message 35: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 878 comments Kristin wrote: "I have just started Chapter 9. I am not blown away by the writing but am still enjoying this book. It reminds me a bit like a soapy teen drama, and I suppose that is because it sort of is. It is a ..."

I agree about the writing. I read YA books for the fun of it and some of the cheesyness! I like them for a distraction. I tend to read them quickly and they are just fun.

message 36: by BMAD_addicts (last edited Jan 15, 2018 11:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

BMAD_addicts | 100 comments I just finished this book and wow i did not expect it to be this good!! I started reading it without knowing so much about the world and i'm very surprised about all the plots and twist. Im the type of reader that likes to guess how it will end but this book totally blew it off.

The characters are all very interesting and i love to see how Scarlett's character have become towards the end. (view spoiler)
My full review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 37: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3250 comments Kristin wrote: " It's like dessert. You don't expect it to be like a gourmet meal or a healthy meal. It's just supposed to taste good. Caraval is a sugary treat and I am really enjoying it."

This is the perfect description as to why I enjoy YA novels as much as I do. As long as the writing isn't distractingly awful, it's nice to just sit back and enjoy the story. It's a good palate cleanser between books like Dorian Gray and Grapes of Wrath.

I must say that this is probably one of my favorite YA novels to date. If you liked this one, may I also suggest reading Heartless by Marissa Meyer. It is similar in feel to Caraval.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments SarahKat wrote: "Kristin wrote: " It's like dessert. You don't expect it to be like a gourmet meal or a healthy meal. It's just supposed to taste good. Caraval is a sugary treat and I am really enjoying it."

This ..."

I've been wanting to read Heartless because I loooved Meyer's Lunar Chronicles. Hearing that it has a similar feel to Caraval makes me want to read it even more! :D

message 39: by BMAD_addicts (last edited Jan 16, 2018 09:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

BMAD_addicts | 100 comments SarahKat wrote: "Kristin wrote: " It's like dessert. You don't expect it to be like a gourmet meal or a healthy meal. It's just supposed to taste good. Caraval is a sugary treat and I am really enjoying it."

This ..."

Heartless is on my tbr list but havent pick it up yet. Will definitely read it now after your recommendation 💜

Kristin wrote: "I'm still really enjoying this book, and was happy to learn that [spoilers removed] I still stand by my earlier comments about thinking the writing is just okay, but I am having so much fun I reall..."

What a great description of the book!!

message 40: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 878 comments BMAD_addicts wrote: "I just finished this book and wow i did not expect it to be this good!! I started reading it without knowing so much about the world and i'm very surprised about all the plots and twist. Im the typ..."

I agree about Donatella. You put into words my thoughts on that.

I've seen mixed reviews on Heartless. I don't want it to taint my love for the Lunar Chronicles - ha ha. I'll read it eventually but I don't think I can fit it in this year.

Caraval was really fun. I didn't know what to expect from it. I'm definitely going to read the second book!

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Joan wrote: "BMAD_addicts wrote: "I just finished this book and wow i did not expect it to be this good!! I started reading it without knowing so much about the world and i'm very surprised about all the plots ..."

Same here -- I wasn't sure what to expect from Caraval, but I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. The enchantment of it really appeals to someone with a vivid imagination. I'm excited to read the 2nd book!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.