Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Heir to Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters, #4)
This topic is about Heir to Sevenwaters
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Heir to Sevenwaters [Feb 3, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Feb 3rd

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments in

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments in

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I am starting early.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I know what my problem is with this series. All the protagonists speak the same voices. Of course, minor details like names are different (and not always if you take the fact that healers and herbalists are rather over represented) but their narrative and internal monologues feel and read the exactly same. You could copy-paste paragraphs between books and nothing would be amiss.

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I will join you tomorrow, my friend...

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I think you'll enjoy the romance. It's sparkly!

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Ooo, I love sparkly romance:):):)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Mayim wrote: "I know what my problem is with this series. All the protagonists speak the same voices. Of course, minor details like names are different (and not always if you take the fact that healers and herba..."

Yes. Yes. I can't yes this enough. So annoying.

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I started and I see exactly what you guys mean... Almost all of the main heroines have had almost identical internal monologue and that is not something you can just chuck to being from the same family line...

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Up to Ch. 2... I think she is mistrustful of the wrong dude... Her crush is the one who makes me uneasy...

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Up to CH. 5... I must be reading too many double-crossing books, because I don't trust anyone right now,... I feel like there is danger larking from everywhere...

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Ch. 5.... WTF??? (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Speculation of Ch. 5-6... (view spoiler)

message 15: by Choko (last edited Feb 01, 2018 07:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Ch. 7... Well, I guess there are good reasons to be paranoid at this point,,,,

This book seems to be better organized and paced than the last one, at least up to now... Hope I don't jinx it:):):)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Ch. 8... (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Choko wrote: "Up to CH. 5... I must be reading too many double-crossing books, because I don't trust anyone right now,... I feel like there is danger larking from everywhere..."

I kind of enjoy the romance in this instalment but do not pay attention to pretty much anything else (except for the baby that is).

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I am really enjoying this book. So much better than the last one! I am up to Ch 13 and am so upset with (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Choko wrote: "Ch. 5.... WTF??? [spoilers removed]"

When I reached this part I was like: FINALLY things get rolling!

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Choko wrote: "Speculation of Ch. 5-6... [spoilers removed]"

I loved Cathal from the start, there is no way he could have been involved. :D

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I liked the book more than the previous instalments. Aside from the fact that I hate the way she shows sisterhood and I would never want to be a part of the Sevenwaters clan.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Looks like everybody finished this. :(
I stopped after the first chapter to dedicate my time to Phedre. That was an excelent read. I'll get back to this now.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I think you'll like the book Laura! And I'm always around to chat (even though my internet access is intermittent these days).

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Laura wrote: "Looks like everybody finished this. :(
I stopped after the first chapter to dedicate my time to Phedre. That was an excelent read. I'll get back to this now."

I haven't even started.. so... lol. Starting today. Almost done with Nevernight

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Mayim wrote: "I liked the book more than the previous instalments. Aside from the fact that I hate the way she shows sisterhood and I would never want to be a part of the Sevenwaters clan."

Me neither! No one trusts the others and they are very rood with each-other! Not a good clan to be a part of...

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Laura wrote: "Looks like everybody finished this. :(
I stopped after the first chapter to dedicate my time to Phedre. That was an excelent read. I'll get back to this now."

Phedre was awesome!!! I am really enjoying that series:):):)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments At least we'll keep each other company Diana and Mayim also promised to stick around to chat. :)

@Choko - She was awsome right!!! I'm planning to read all 9 books one a month same time. Will you join me?

And I'm starting the Empire trilogy by Feist/Wurts on Wednesday. I saw you have that on your TBR too. Do you want to join me?

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments So far the reviews from you guys look promising. Can't wait to start this one.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I'm up to chapter 5 right now and have the same feeling as Choko. 🤔 Can't trust anyone! I may be getting a tiny bit paranoid! :D

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Laura wrote: "At least we'll keep each other company Diana and Mayim also promised to stick around to chat. :)

@Choko - She was awsome right!!! I'm planning to read all 9 books one a month same time. Will you j..."

I am soooo with you!!! I was wondering where the rest of the folders are:):):)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Laura wrote: "At least we'll keep each other company Diana and Mayim also promised to stick around to chat. :)

@Choko - She was awsome right!!! I'm planning to read all 9 books one a month same time. Will you j..."

Yes!!! I will join you! Are there threads set up for it already?

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Laura wrote: "I'm up to chapter 5 right now and have the same feeling as Choko. 🤔 Can't trust anyone! I may be getting a tiny bit paranoid! :D"

I think we are all paranoid with all the convoluted plots we have been reading:) We will be jumping at our own shadows soon, hahaha!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments No threads yet. Can you ask please? For both Carey and Feist? Same 1 a month if that's ok with you?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Ha ha! very true! We should lay low on these intrigue books for a while. But they're too good to set aside. :)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments How does everyone in this family have twins? I get that twins run in families, but through the mother's side. How come Sean has twins, too? I'm over the twin thing. Anyway, I just started it. Your comments are encouraging.

message 36: by Laura (last edited Feb 06, 2018 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I'm 3 quarters through and like it more than the previous book.

I didn't really like Cathal in the beginning but he grew on me very fast. By the time he left I was already swooning for him. :D

I expected the chapter 5 because I had read the blurb but it didn't even cross my mind that (view spoiler)

I love Cathal. (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I'm totally going to be a buzzkill here.

While all the books are slightly different, they all follow the same romance plot line. Girl starts with a potential suitor, but he's not going to be who she ends up with. She's going to end up with the other guy who she butts heads with at first but then they fall in love. Ok, Child of the Prophecy didn't really follow that because it wasn't really romance heavy, but 1, 2 and 4, did. I'm only <50% through this one but I'm so tired of this formula. All these books are kind of blurring together for me. I want something different, like maybe they were set up as matches by their families. They didn't have a choice, but they fell in love anyway.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Chapter 10 I think. (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Chapter 10 I think. [spoilers removed]"

I presume I am the only one not really fawning over Johnny. I just cannot imagine a grown man with a name suitable for a toddler in a role of the hero.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I finished ot last night and I completely agree with Diana. The stories are very simmilar and repetitive.
I rated it 4 stars because of Becan and because of Clodagh's interaction with him; as well as for Cathal. He was very nicely made as swoon-worthy characters go. :D

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I guess we all agree that one could swap whole pages between the books and nobody would notice. :D

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Exactly. :)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Yes, very much so. I'm in the home stretch of the story now. This one is WAY better than the last installment. If it were a stand alone book I probably would have really liked it, but they're all so similar that I'm getting bored of the same premise. Probably going to end up giving it a 3.5.