Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Child of the Prophecy [Jan 3, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Jan 3rd

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments You're killing me. I am so overbooked. But in... I guess. Somehow.

message 3: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments :D :D :D

I'm planning to start this come midnight... I read Blood Song early so I can get a jump on my eleven (ELEVEN!!!) Buddy Reads this month...

Things should slow down a bit for me around the 5th, assuming I get everything else read so I can jump into Malazan on time...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Iain wrote: ":D :D :D

I'm planning to start this come midnight... I read Blood Song early so I can get a jump on my eleven (ELEVEN!!!) Buddy Reads this month...

Things should slow down a bit for me around the..."

I have myself signed up for 11 in January, too. I'm not a fast reader and I'm still finishing 2 from December, so the chance of getting them all is 0%. Maybe if I can hide from my family and job for the month...

message 5: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Meeee

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I'm starting tonight.

message 7: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments 33% through... the (view spoiler) around 10% was sad... Fiane (view spoiler)

message 8: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Forgot this one. I hope it will be better than the predecessor.

message 9: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments So far, Mayim, I'm not sure... it's quite different in tone than the first 2, I think... pretty dark with little in the way of hope... in a different way than the first 2... not even sure if there's a romantic pairing...

message 10: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Will see. I'll start when I finish Malazan. And the book after Malazan will have a difficult life anyway. :)

message 11: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments Yea... I'm looking forward to starting Malazan... I read the Prologue in September, and listened to the first 4 chapters 2 weeks ago... and already skimmed Scott's notes on the prologue and chapter 1... he's right, there's a lot to take in and pick up on... I could already sense the epic scale of it in those 4 chapters and 9 years I read already... Going to start over when I join to get challenge credit...

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I finished the first 3 chapters yesterday night and I have to say it's pretty bleak.

But to be fair, I am also reading Kushiel's Dart right now and that book is fabulous. Child of the Prophecy sort of pales in comparison. Either that or the Sevenwaters Saga is starting to drag.

message 13: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Kusniel is excellent! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

message 14: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments I finished it last night... the book was super bleak until about 60%... it was still kinda bleak after that, but there was light at the end of the tunnel...

It doesn't help that I was always one of the people who didn't like these books as much as other people... I'm glad to be done with the Oonagh storyline... I had the mods schedule the rest of the Buddy Reads for you guys, but I'm not planning to continue (I never really was)

I agree the Phedre trilogy is pretty great (altho the 3rd one was a little brutal with the (view spoiler))...

Only reason I never continued was the opinions I kept seeing that the (view spoiler) trilogy were a bit of a re-tread and not as good...

message 15: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments I only read a few pages because I'm not in the mood for bleak yet. I think I am bad at this whole buddy read thing.

message 16: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments I see what you're doing :P... you STARTED, now you have 12 months to finish earning these bonus points in the competition...

message 17: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments :D

I am not admitting to anything. But in deference to your sensibilities I'll try to read a couple of chapters before the week.

Now I need to get back to my mangaish gay teenage cursebreaking story thingy.

message 18: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments I have had the whole series on my TBR so I will be continuing with irrespective of the rating this book will get (and it won't be high after Malazan, I can see it already).

message 19: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments I'm so overbooked in Buddy Reads that I relish the chance to drop something if I'm not loving it... especially since I keep signing up for more...

@Sha: don't feel like you need to read more on my account (we're not on the same team, anyway... ;) )

message 20: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments I'll take this one for the team :D

message 21: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Iain wrote: "@Sha: don't feel like you need to read more on my account (we're not on the same team, anyway... ;) )"

no no no, i insist *makes generous hand gestures*

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I haven't started yet (hoping to start tomorrow ) but you guys aren't making me look forward it it.

message 23: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments And we had such a good track record going, Diana...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Iain wrote: "And we had such a good track record going, Diana..."

Hey, i read the other 2 and fairly liked them :-)

message 25: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 03, 2018 08:35AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments I just meant I/we have liked every Buddy Read for the past 2-3 months that we've done together, I think...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Iain wrote: "I just meant I/we have liked every Buddy Read for the past 2-3 months that we've done together, I think..."

We've had a good run. It was time for a dislike to show up I guess. Though I reserve judgement on this one until i read it.

message 27: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments I'm starting the party tonight. With certain reservations but not without hope. :)

message 28: by jess (new)

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Laura wrote: "I finished the first 3 chapters yesterday night and I have to say it's pretty bleak.

But to be fair, I am also reading Kushiel's Dart right now and that book is fabulous. Child of the Prophecy so..."

The Kushiel's 6 books are one of my favorite series!

message 29: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Chapter 1. Can somebody please explain why (view spoiler)

message 30: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Chapter 2: I still don't understand why (view spoiler). The whole setup just doesn't make sense in my head.

message 31: by Laura (last edited Jan 04, 2018 07:41PM) (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments The same question still plagues me also even though I'm halfway through now Mayim. A part of it is explained later with the grandmother but Ciaran's reason is still not there.

I'm finding so many things I dislike in this book. If you were critical about the last book also I wonder what you will think of his one.

Everything seems conflicting to me. The way the girl is brought up, her reasons to go to Sevenwaters and the girl herself. Even Conor (and don't read this spoiler until you reach chapter 8) (view spoiler)

message 32: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments Mayim wrote: "Chapter 1. Can somebody please explain why [spoilers removed]"

I think (view spoiler)

message 33: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments Laura wrote: "The same question still plagues me also even though I'm halfway through now Mayim. A part of it is explained later with the grandmother but Ciaran's reason is still not there.

I'm finding so many ..."

Good to know I wasn't the only one to feel this way... most things are explained at the very end... there's a lot of info-dumping at the end here...

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Iain wrote: "Mayim wrote: "Chapter 1. Can somebody please explain why [spoilers removed]"

I think [spoilers removed]"

That was not clear for me. (view spoiler)

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Iain wrote: "Laura wrote: "The same question still plagues me also even though I'm halfway through now Mayim. A part of it is explained later with the grandmother but Ciaran's reason is still not there.

I'm fi..."

Again do not read until you reached chapter 8.
It does feel good to know I'm not the only one wondering about it. But even with things explained at the end I think I will still not like our MC that much even then. She (view spoiler)

message 36: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments I'm leaning towards rating this 2.5 stars rounded up to 3... the 2nd book was my favorite of the 3 I think...

message 37: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments At least I like the main character much more this time. I will let you know how I cope with the rest. :D

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I started out liking her Mayim but now....

I'm curious how you will feel toward her later.

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments If it goes on like this Iain, I'll probably rate it the same. I also liked book 2 the best. :)

message 40: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments Things get better when Liadan arrives...

message 41: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Laura wrote: "I started out liking her Mayim but now....

I'm curious how you will feel toward her later."

So far, what I precisely love about her is that she is flawed. Sorcha and Liadan were two supersnowflakes. Sorcha had to, and because of the fairy-like quality of the retelling it didn't bother me, but Liadan I coudln't stomach as you know (team Niamh!).So far (and I know I'm only two chapters in) I like the girl not only because she is not pretty, but also because she is a walking (well, limping) proof that having magic doesn't make you smart or sociable or courageous. (view spoiler) Maybe it is the way she had been brought up - like a rat in a lab, with care but no love or tenderness. She has been sheltered in a different way than the two previous girls, but sheltered nonetheless.

Really, at this point it is only the idiotic plot setup I do not like. Also, Oonagh kind of shrank (cannot find a better word).But it is tied with the idiotic setup (view spoiler)

message 42: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments By the way, where is the rest of the Sevensweaters group? Two Mels I am missing, Zaara and Choko were also there, no?

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Mayim wrote: "Laura wrote: "I started out liking her Mayim but now....

I'm curious how you will feel toward her later."

So far, what I precisely love about her is that she is flawed. Sorcha and Liadan were two..."

I'm finally starting this one. Your review of the character actually leaves me intrigued, though the 2 star reviews I'm seeing aren't encouraging me.

message 44: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15580 comments @Mayim: I agree with everything you said about Oonagh... she lost a lot of her presence from the first book... I thought she was more... like a Fowl Folk in opposition to the Fair Folk...

Zaara never made it to Son of Shadows with her busy December... Choko has been showing up to a ton of Buddy Reads late, when she finds the time, and throwing her thoughts in, so I'm sure she'll do the same here...

@Diana: I swear, me and Laura could share a single account... we parrot one another's thoughts and ratings a lot on our Buddy Reads :)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Iain wrote: "@Mayim: I agree with everything you said about Oonagh... she lost a lot of her presence from the first book... I thought she was more... like a Fowl Folk in opposition to the Fair Folk...

Zaara ne..."

Awww... book soul mates. Always great to find one lol

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Laura wrote: "I finished the first 3 chapters yesterday night and I have to say it's pretty bleak.

But to be fair, I am also reading Kushiel's Dart right now and that book is fabulous. Child of the Prophecy so..."

I love that series. I only read the first 2 books. Need to continue it soon.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I finally started reading this one. Omg the fish... I'm not a fan of this protagonist.

message 48: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments That was a very good scene I thought. There is another in chapter 3 I liked a lot.

message 49: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments I finished chapter 5. At this point, I cannot see how the girl will escape her own conscience. Mine would eat me alive should I be in her shoes, so to speak.

message 50: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5296 comments I am here! I had to be reminded about this one:) Thank you, Mayim!

« previous 1 3