Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

I'll Keep You Safe
This topic is about I'll Keep You Safe
Archives > January 2018-Final Thoughts-**Spoilers Allowed**- I'll Keep You Safe

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phrynne | 3679 comments Mod
Final thoughts on I'll Keep You Safe by Peter May.
Because this is a January release we've decided to extend reading time to 28th February for those who have trouble accessing it in January.

message 2: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda | 9471 comments Mod
Can't wait to read this one!!

message 3: by Li'l Owl (new) - added it

Li'l Owl | 1064 comments Nuts! I can't get my mits on this one for a decent price so will have to pass. Perhaps I'll have better luck for the next one. =o)

message 4: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bad luck Owl :( But remember it's going until the end of Feb so keep an eye out for specials :)

message 5: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Spectacular! 5s with my review here

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 6: by Li'l Owl (new) - added it

Li'l Owl | 1064 comments Brenda wrote: "Bad luck Owl :( But remember it's going until the end of Feb so keep an eye out for specials :)"

Will do!

message 7: by Carolyn (last edited Jan 24, 2018 09:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carolyn | 1399 comments Here's my review - 4.5★

I did really enjoy the novel for the most part but felt the ending could have been better (half a star off for that). What do others think? I felt the twist revealing Ruairidh's fate was unlikely and unnecessary and I also felt the murderer's motive didn't ring quite true as they already knew that Niamh had no interest being with that person.

message 8: by Rowena (last edited Jan 24, 2018 04:14AM) (new)

Rowena Holloway | 54 comments Very much enjoyed this novel--a new author to me and one I'd read again, although not sure I'd be interested in the re-release/rewrite of a twenty year old novel he has planned for next year.

So the story! Nice twist, and lots of family drama and secrets, which always appeal to me. Beautiful rugged landscape that was easy to picture and fitting to the tone of the story. I admit at first I was less interested in all the loom and manufacturing detail and wondered at times why we were going so far back into Niamh's past. But this backstory soon grabbed me as much as the mystery of (Rory's) death. (as you can tell I struggled with the names)

I felt so sorry for the french police woman--just when she'd figured out her priorities, too!

I agree with you Carolyn about the murderer. She was a piece of work, and I wondered why she and Niamh remained friends. I guess needs must when the island community is that insular. In the final scene, after being so calculating, the murderer seemed to have slipped into madness, though you could argue that choosing to murder a 'rival' isn't exactly sane. I would like to have seen what set her off after so many years. Perhaps there was a clue I missed ??

Still, overall a great read.

Kerri_M | 681 comments Rowena recommend the other books set on Lewis, starting with The Blackhouse. I haven’t read his other series yet, still on the TBR

message 10: by Rowena (new)

Rowena Holloway | 54 comments Kerri_M wrote: "Rowena recommend the other books set on Lewis, starting with The Blackhouse. I haven’t read his other series yet, still on the TBR"

Okay, I shall add that/them to my TBR. thanks Kerri :)

message 11: by Rob (last edited Jan 24, 2018 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob | 635 comments Great way to start the new year. 5★s

My review.

message 12: by Rob (last edited Jan 24, 2018 06:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob | 635 comments Carolyn wrote: "I did really enjoy the novel for the most part but felt the ending could have been better (half a star off for that). What ..."

I felt a lot stronger about the ending than, "could have been better" Carolyn. It was such a spell binding story for it to end up like Sleeping Beauty was a real let down. But the final, finger down the throat was, "guess what darling, I'm pregnant" and they all lived happily ever after.

message 13: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rowena wrote: "Kerri_M wrote: "Rowena recommend the other books set on Lewis, starting with The Blackhouse. I haven’t read his other series yet, still on the TBR"

Okay, I shall add that/them to my TBR. thanks Ke..."

Kerri is right Rowena - a brilliant trilogy. I've read books 1 & 2 and have the third and final still to look forward to :) Soon!

Carolyn | 1399 comments Rowena wrote: "Kerri_M wrote: "Rowena recommend the other books set on Lewis, starting with The Blackhouse. I haven’t read his other series yet, still on the TBR"

Okay, I shall add that/them to my TBR. thanks Ke..."

I also second Kerri's recommendation Rowena. A really outstanding trilogy (which is why this was just a tad disappointing at the finish).

Kerri_M | 681 comments Like everyone else, I loved this up till the final couple of chapters. I had foreseen the pregnancy, the resurrection, and even the murderer, but the way it was wrapped up at the end was a disappointment. I see-sawed between 4 and 4.5 stars.

message 16: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phrynne | 3679 comments Mod
Finished it at the last minute !!!!
I thought the ending was weak and unrealistic. It spoiled the whole book for me:(
My review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 17: by Tien (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tien (tiensblurb) | 130 comments Late to the party, yet again!

Can't say that I enjoyed it that much. 3 stars max from me...

I guessed abt Ruaridh, of course... sounds like many of you did too.

I may have to go back to the book but um... weren't there DNA testing done on the bodies?! I remembered there was something about it was a rush job etc to release the bodies etc but surely... somewhere someone should have done a proper job and caught on whose bodies were in the car?

I enjoyed the Scottish atmosphere but that's about it. Very impatient about the flicks between time...

Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

I'll Keep You Safe (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Peter May (other topics)