Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

I'll Keep You Safe
This topic is about I'll Keep You Safe
Archives > January 2018-First Thoughts-**No Spoilers**-I'll Keep You Safe

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phrynne | 3667 comments Mod
First thoughts on I'll Keep You Safe by Peter May.
Because this is a January release we've decided to extend reading time to 28th February for those who have trouble accessing it in January.

message 2: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda | 9454 comments Mod
An excellent idea :) I'm looking forward to it!

Tien (tiensblurb) | 130 comments Phrynne wrote: "Because this is a January release we've decided to extend reading time to 28th February for those who have trouble accessing it in January. "

Went looking at the libraries and got confused when I saw the 'on order' status; didn't read your comment til now lol

How are you 2 getting your copies? Saw it's on GR giveaway... Might be one of the last giveaways for AU ever (saw something abt change in t&c and so we, Aussies, will miss out on giveaways sometime this year)

message 4: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am waiting for the library to get a copy Tien - they have it on order. If it comes out cheaply at Target I will buy it.

Carolyn | 1396 comments Phrynne wrote: "First thoughts on I'll Keep You Safe by Peter May.
Because this is a January release we've decided to extend reading time to 28th February for those who have troubl..."

That's good. I've entered the giveaway but it doesn't close till 28th Jan (not that I'll get one!) Currently USD 13 on Amazon for preorder.

message 6: by Li'l Owl (new) - added it

Li'l Owl | 1064 comments Do you have Target in Australia, Phrynne?

message 7: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sure do Owl.

message 8: by Li'l Owl (new) - added it

Li'l Owl | 1064 comments I didn't realize Target was world wide although, now that I think about it, I'm not surprised. I love Target!

message 9: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Target, Big W and KMart will all have it I suspect. Target is usually a little dearer than Big W and KMart (which are usually $16 :)

message 10: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just googled it through Booko.com.au and the cheapest is Book Depository for $24.22 and pre-order!!

message 11: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes I looked at that. A bit too dear when you know it will be cheaper later on.

message 12: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

It is! The prices vary so much don't they!!

message 13: by Bea (new) - added it

Bea | 264 comments I'm not sure that I will be able to get this book. Neither library system that I have access to has it. And, when I checked on Amazon, I found that the book (Kindle and hardcover) is not due to be released in USA until March 6.

Hopefully, I will be able to join in the group read next month.

message 14: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea the reading time has been extended to the end of February for those who have trouble accessing it. Perhaps you could ask your library to order it in for you? I've done that a number of times and they mostly do!

Have you voted on the poll for the February book? I set that up yesterday :)

message 15: by Bea (new) - added it

Bea | 264 comments Brenda wrote: "Bea the reading time has been extended to the end of February for those who have trouble accessing it. Perhaps you could ask your library to order it in for you? I've done that a number of times an..."

Yes, I have voted. Since the January book is not due to be published in the states until March, I will be later than the extension in getting to it.

message 16: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Never mind :) I'm sure you'll read it some time!

Kerri_M | 680 comments Got my book today 👏👏👏👏

message 18: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yay! Enjoy Kerri :)

message 19: by Bea (new) - added it

Bea | 264 comments Wow! I just checked the Australian Amazon. This book is expensive! (Coming from someone who relies on library, book sales, etc.)

However, I am wondering how that would work. Since the USA does not yet have a published copy of this book, would I have to order from Australia Amazon online as opposed to USA Amazon online?

message 20: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 3 stars

The kindle version is available on US Amazon but a bit expensive I think. The paperback and hardback aren’t available in the US yet. The paperback is available from Book Depository for $25 which is more than I pay for books:)

message 21: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 3 stars

No, Australia.

Kerri_M | 680 comments Phrynne wrote: "No, Australia."

oh ok, I thought you were in Oz, but then got confused :)

message 23: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Because I buy from US Amazon? I just have never switched over to the Aussie one. So far they have let me stay:)

Kerri_M | 680 comments Phrynne wrote: "Because I buy from US Amazon? I just have never switched over to the Aussie one. So far they have let me stay:)"

Well once you switch, you can't go back for Kindle, so stay there if it suits you! :)

message 25: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kerri_M wrote: "Phrynne wrote: "Because I buy from US Amazon? I just have never switched over to the Aussie one. So far they have let me stay:)"

Well once you switch, you can't go back for Kindle, so stay there i..."

Very true. I sometimes miss out on Aussie author deals but not enough to make me switch yet:)

message 26: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ditto to all Phrynne says Kerri - I'm with US too :)

message 27: by Li'l Owl (new) - added it

Li'l Owl | 1064 comments Coming in a bit late to this discussion but after reading what you have been saying I thought I'd scroll around just to see what I found from here in the USA. At least for this book.

First, Amazon US says that it isn't available for purchase - at all, in any format.

Second, and I've tried this before, I can look up on Amazon AU for it and get prices, the Kindle is 16.99 and goes up in price from there, of course. for this book. However, as you all have correctly deduced, if you have an Amazon account in one country you can't purchase from any Amazon site but the one you use.
I'm sure that Brenda and I have discussed this topic before.
It still comes up weird, though, because Brenda can get books from the US site from Australia but I can't get the same book for the same price and/or I can't get it at all on the Amazon US site from here in the US. Clear as mud, right?
There just isn't a rhyme or reason for it that we've been able to figure out.
When Brenda puts books on the discount Kindle book thread with both the AU and US prices with links, those same links often don't work for from here (US). if it is available the price is usually different, sometimes by a little.
How many times have we had a book that was the same from my end and yours, Brenda.
Maybe once?
So..... there it is. Crazy.

message 28: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Doesn't make sense to us - but it probably does to those who make the decisions :)

Kerri_M | 680 comments Li'l Owl wrote: "Coming in a bit late to this discussion but after reading what you have been saying I thought I'd scroll around just to see what I found from here in the USA. At least for this book.

First, Amazo..."

I would say that it is because Brenda is on the US site, but they can tell she is in Aus, and the book is ok for release in Aus but not in US. Somewhere in the back of the "cloud" the computer works it all out :)

message 30: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Clever little things aren't they O_o !!

message 31: by Li'l Owl (new) - added it

Li'l Owl | 1064 comments Very cleaver, indeed! Still.....
=o)

We've got their number now, thanks Kerri!
We shall carry on!

message 32: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob | 635 comments Have to put this out there.
I can't stand the all seeing, all knowing, omnipotent, multi-national, conglomerates. Top of that list would be Amazon and next would be Apple. Lets start with Kindle. MOBI is the only file structure you can read on Kindle and the only place you can purchase MOBI books is at, surprise, surprise, Amazon. You can covert Epub files to MOBI with Calibre but you shouldn't have to. You spend your hard earned money on a Kindle, from Amazon, now you're trapped, no where to go except Amazon.

When the time came for me to buy a Ereader I choose a Kobo. Kobo accepts a lot of different file structures and I can buy my ebooks anywhere I like and at the best possible price. It wouldn't be difficult to make Kindle more user friendly but that would give you, the buying public, the choice to shop elsewhere.
By the way, I pre-ordered I'll Keep You Safe from Kobo for $16.99 and it arrived on my desktop on the date of release without a hitch.

Sorry, I shouldn't get so political but I just hate the blatant manipulation that the likes of Amazon uses.

Carolyn | 1396 comments I wasn't going to buy this yet, but apparently I pre-ordered it in October for USD12 so it popped up on my kindle last week! Ooops! I do love Peter May's books so must have convinced myself it was worth it!

Started it today and it does have a somewhat dramatic start!

message 34: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haha! Just as well you didn't buy a paper copy as well Carolyn ;)

message 35: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brenda wrote: "Haha! Just as well you didn't buy a paper copy as well Carolyn ;)"

I did that this month or something similar anyway. I bought Year One from Audible and then got an email from the library saying the book I had requested was ready to pick up. At least I hadn’t paid twice though.

message 36: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haha! So easy to do!

message 37: by Peter (new)

Peter Stankovic | 109 comments Rob wrote: "Have to put this out there.
I can't stand the all seeing, all knowing, omnipotent, multi-national, conglomerates. Top of that list would be Amazon and next would be Apple. Lets start with Kindle. M..."

Another annoying thing with Amazon is that they require a customer (a friend bought one of my ebooks) to have spent $50 before that customer can leave a book review.

Kerri_M | 680 comments Half-way through and loving it!

message 39: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yay!!

Kerri_M | 680 comments Finished!

Loved this all the way through, but then a titch disappointed with the ending :( Was heading for 4.5 stars until then, but settled on
★★★★. I am a scrooge with my stars!

Actually listened to this one on audio, which I have done with several other Peter May books, because the accents are fabulous. With this one, it had 2 narrators, with a female narrator for the chapters with Niamh's memories. It worked really well.

Ok, for the accents and the narrators, I will add a ☆

message 41: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glad you enjoyed it Kerri :)

message 42: by Tien (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tien (tiensblurb) | 130 comments So I finally picked up a copy from the library over the weekend and lo & behold, I had an email saying that I won a copy from the Goodreads giveaway yesterday. Errr... what do I do now? Do I read the library copy or wait for my own copy to arrive? oh the dilemma... >_< lol

message 43: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Read the library copy and keep your shiny new one for a re-read or a gift (if you don't want it in your collection) ;)

message 44: by Tien (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tien (tiensblurb) | 130 comments Brenda wrote: "Read the library copy and keep your shiny new one for a re-read or a gift (if you don't want it in your collection) ;)"

Thanks for the advice, Brenda... good one! I could use it for a gift definitely... or a giveaway on the blog :)

message 45: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

There you go :)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Moving up on the reserve list. So excited.

message 47: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Good news MsG :)

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 447 comments Finished. Wow - I love this book - 5 ★. I love Pete May's books, and I'll Keep You Safe continued my love affair with his books.

message 49: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well done Jenny :)

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 447 comments Thanks, Brenda!

« previous 1

Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Year One (other topics)
I'll Keep You Safe (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Peter May (other topics)