The Orion Team. discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
THE SEVENTH FLOOR > Welcome to 2018. WHAT SPY THRILLERS ARE ON YOUR RADAR

Comments Showing 1-50 of 186 (186 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel  | 4691 comments Mod
Happy New Year Group Members! We come into the uncertain new year like the last year, with more fun spy/political/military thrillers set to be released. 2017 may have been full of chaos, panic, disorder with rule books being burned, but for thriller novelists, it was an outstanding time full of so many ideas to be u So, what books are on your "to read list"?

And on a side note, what were the best spy/geopolitical thriller that you read in 2016? Best protagonist, antagonist, plot, most interesting threat are the categories to name a few.

message 2: by Samuel , Director (new)

As per last year, the following is my personal nominations. It is unscientific to the extreme and is not dependent on some archaic voting system like that of the American Film Academy Oscars (which didn't seem to be stellar this year and may not be stellar the next) . So lets get to it shall we? The surprising thing here is that there is a bit of an indie publishing slant for 2017....

message 3: by Samuel , Director (new)

Best Military Thriller.

Lex Talionis (American Praetorians Book 5) by Peter Nealen
Peter Nealen

Group member Peter Nealen closes his Praetorian series with an awe inspiring operatic flourish. Lex Talonis is a military epic that ranks with the best of the NYT bestsellers but then decided to blow up its competitors with a drone strike.

So very timely, and exploring complex, real world themes with an ice cold maturity that one doesn't normally get in the genre, Nealen shows how a civil war would break out in this day and age, and doesn't shy away from the horrors that follow. We have found the enemy and he is us, as you yourselves will find when you read this flawless masterpiece.

message 4: by Samuel , Director (new)

Best Spy Thriller.

Red Phoenix (Thomas Caine #2) by Andrew Warren

There hasn't been a true "great China spy novel". Not in the cold war at least. But in this decade, while Adam Brookes wows mainstream critics with his trilogy of spy novels, and Mark Greaney and Alex Berenson paved with way with the ghost war and threat vector, Andrew Warren takes the indie thriller crown with his second book, Red Phoenix.

Boasting the most fully realized portrayal of the magnificence and wretchedness of modern China in literary form Warren takes readers on run down the length of the modern day middle kingdom with his hero, burned CIA Paramilitary officer Thomas Caine.

What starts as a simple debt of honor to repay, turns into a situation with far higher stakes, namely an effort to stop the wholesale decimation of the PRC's population through engineering the biggest natural disaster in the nation's history.

Boasting a cast of impressive characters, especially a bad guy who has some very good reasons for taking up arms against his own country, a plot that is pitch perfect, a gorgeous setting that will immerse you into the story far more than other novels, and a sublime amount of real world detail, Andrew Warren is on his way to becoming one of the indie fiction kings, alongside Stephen England.

message 5: by Samuel , Director (new)

Best Evil Scheme

Fire and Forget (Thomas Caine #3) by Andrew Warren

Andrew Warren conveniently released two books this year, and they do not disappoint. Fire and Forget in particular, has an amazing evil scheme. Not since Forsyth, has knocking off a republic been so well thought out, planned and (almost) executed to perfection......

message 6: by Samuel , Director (new)

Best fictional protagonist.

A tough fight this but ultimately the winner is Jefferson Stone. He was always a good character, solid, professional and a toughie, not a softie when it was wise to avoid the latter, but in his final book, we get to see what he's truly made of as the brotherhood he's part of goes down on what looks like the end of the line.

message 7: by Samuel , Director (last edited Dec 31, 2017 03:15PM) (new)

Best fictional antagonist.

OMG. After meeting this chap, no other bad guy was going to have come close this year. I call him "The Company Man". Partly because he used to work for the only Company of consequence in Langley Virginia, and also because it's a deliciously ironic title.

One of the most gifted spies and assassins of his generation, the Company Man came to despise the leadership of the CIA and went out into private practice. Eventually he created the holy grail of private spy shops and the Alex Jones brigade, a fully functioning deep state that was able to subvert the leadership of the US intelligence and military community.

Charismatic, cruel and cool as a cucumber despite his age, the Company Man is motivated in keeping America great, not the way loud politicians claim they'll do it, not the way a divided, apathetic public demands it, but the way the founders of the CIA did it. A shadow war, the likes of which has not been seen since the 1950s.

Through fire, blood and deception he kicks starts the opening shots of a war that seeks to arrest the erosion of the promise of Pax Americana, and he doesn't care if he has to destroy entire nations to keep the nation he loves from getting knocked off the geopolitical numero uno spot.

message 8: by Samuel , Director (new)

Best fictional universe.

Exile The explosive new action thriller from the Sunday Times bestselling author of Nomad (The Marc Dane series Book 2) by James Swallow

These thrillers wowed because their authors knew how to build a full realized fictional universe and even engage in world building.

message 9: by Samuel , Director (new)

Best conspiracy thriller.

Exile The explosive new action thriller from the Sunday Times bestselling author of Nomad (The Marc Dane series Book 2) by James Swallow

Group member James Swallow created what I called the second coming of James Grady's "CONDOR". In this book, he cements that with a fascinating, well written second novel about two non - state actors battling it out over a nuclear device, and a wild card who wishes to use it on a major city.

message 10: by Samuel , Director (new)

Best plotline.

I think I may be guilty of putting a lot of expectations on poor Andrew in the future because he's racking up nominations at an alarming rate.

Fire and Forget showcases his abilities at making a more complex, but still coherent plot. He even explores one or two big issues that you don't see in American thriller fiction while he's at it.

message 11: by Samuel , Director (new)

Best Action Scene

Andrew's third book features an outstanding balls to the wall assassination in the streets of Washington DC. There, US law enforcement gets its crock cleaned by a team of well equipped assassins who systematically break down the rings surrounding the target through a judicious use of sophisticated firearms and explosives. That chapter alone is worth the price of admission.

message 12: by Samuel , Director (new)

Now to the honorable mentions.

message 13: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Best Military Thriller.

Peter Nealen

Group member Peter Nealen closes his Praetorian series with an awe inspiring operatic flourish. Lex..."

Lion of God Episode I (JET; Lion of God #1) by Stephen England

Group member Stephen England recently wrote a trilogy of historical fiction military thrillers set in Palestine. Packed with evil Iraqis and Arabs, cool and competent Mossad assassins and even a CIA officer scrambling to keep himself out of prison, this trilogy is a fascinating look at post 9/11 counter terrorism and warfare in the middle east.

message 14: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Best Spy Thriller.

Red Phoenix (Thomas Caine #2) by Andrew Warren

There hasn't been a true "great China spy novel". Not in the cold war at least. But in this decade, while Adam Brookes wows mainstream critic..."

Gunmetal Gray (Gray Man, #6) by Mark Greaney

Mark Greaney is the undisputed rising star of mainstream thriller spy novels. With this book, he's become a new king of them.
Boasting top secret government sources for research, a balls to the wall plot, and a lovable, if somewhat gruff hero who tries to do the right thing in this cynical age, despite growing to hate every time it hurts him in the process, Gunmetal Gray captures the covert wars that errupt now and then between the super power and the great powers.

message 15: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Best Evil Scheme

Andrew Warren conveniently released two books this year, and they do not disappoint. Fire and Forget in particular, has an amazing evil sch..."

Insurrection (Paul Richter #7) by James Barrington

Paul Ricther is perhaps the coolest fictional 21st century British super spy, but he's also one of the most underrated. In this story, his long awaited return after more than 5 years in the dark, Richter goes up against the terrorist attack to end all terrorist attacks. A multi pronged strike audacious in its scope and so well thought out that it's impossible to prevent people dying once set in motion, while there's an explosion or two, it's merely the dot to the very big, crushing exclamation point.

message 16: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Best fictional protagonist.

A tough fight this but ultimately the winner is Jefferson Stone. He was always a good character, solid, professional and a toughie, ..."

Retribution (Paul Richter #6.5) by James Barrington
Exile (The Marc Dane Series #2) by James Swallow

A violent three way tie here.

Paul Richter gets an honorable mention because Barrington captured ensured that the best in him remained despite the long hiatus.

Marc Dane gets one here due to the fact his story arc, about coming to terms with his natural talents as an intelligence officer made for a great story arc as he fought to carve a place for himself in the spy game.

And Thomas Caine gets once because Andrew neatly tied up his character arc in a bow, and unlike most pig headed rogue agents, Caine was willing to stop running when the opportunity was given to him.

message 17: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Best fictional antagonist.

OMG. After meeting this chap, no other bad guy was going to have come close this year. I call him "The Company Man". Partly beca..."

Insurrection (Paul Richter #7) by James Barrington

The bad guys in these books are ones of the old school. Tough, old fashioned and very competent and dangerous. They're also very twisted and willing to drive in the knife.

message 18: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Best plotline.

I think I may be guilty of putting a lot of expectations on poor Andrew in the future because he's racking up nominations at an alarming rate..."

Gunmetal Gray (Gray Man, #6) by Mark Greaney

Mark Greaney does a very good story here, with a sting in the tail that you won't see coming. The set up he does for it is a masterful piece of writing that you'll appreciate on reading.

message 19: by Samuel , Director (new)

And that's most of my list for 2017. whats yours?

message 20: by Samuel , Director (last edited Dec 31, 2017 03:47PM) (new)

Samuel wrote: "And that's most of my list for 2017. whats yours?"

oooooops. Forgot to put in one book that I should have. But too late now.....Victor is gonna kill m-

message 21: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Samuel wrote: "And that's most of my list for 2017. whats yours?"

oooooops. Forgot to put in one book that I should have. But too late now.....Victor is gonna kill m-"

The Final Hour (Victor the Assassin #7) by Tom Wood

Apologies to Tom Wood for forgetting him and his awesome 7th book. The Final Hour captures the spark of the original 3 Victor novels and provides an awesome closing chapter to this section of the best damn assassin in 21st century spy fiction's life. Check out my review and buy the book!

message 22: by Samuel , Director (new)

Ghost (The Marc Dane series #3) by James Swallow

A book I'm looking forward to.

A terrible threat from the depths of the dark net.

A devastating betrayal at the heart of a covert strike force.

A deadly pursuit across a digital battlefield.

A ruthless terrorist fuelled by revenge.

As devastating attacks unfold across the globe, Marc Dane must call on all his skills and ingenuity to track down the mysterious figure behind it all - a faceless criminal known only as "Madrigal".

Before they plunge the world into war . . .

message 23: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Ghost (The Marc Dane series #3) by James Swallow

A book I'm looking forward to.

A terrible threat from the depths of the dark net.

A devastating betrayal at the heart of a covert strike force.

A deadly pursuit acr..."

James Swallow is an outstanding writer. And Marc Dane is an "everyman" protagonist who does not irritate or infuriate.

message 24: by David (new)

David Rollins | 2 comments I haven't read any of Swallow's books, but yours is a solid recommendation, Samuel.

message 25: by Samuel , Director (new)

David wrote: "I haven't read any of Swallow's books, but yours is a solid recommendation, Samuel."

Ah, thanks for the kind words David. Happy to hear that Vin Cooper will be returning. I loved WAR LORD by the way, especially the shenanigans on the Rio Sugarloaf mountain. Cooper did some impressive quick thinking during that chapter.

message 26: by David (new)

David Rollins | 2 comments Thanks, Samuel. I'm hopeful that KINGDOM COME won't disappoint. I'm pretty excited about this one.

message 27: by Samuel , Director (new)

Gerard Seymour returns for A damned serious business. Old dog tries new tricks as the man who gave us the legendary Harry's Game goes into cyberwarfare technothriller. https://www.amazon.com/Damned-Serious...

message 28: by Samuel , Director (new)

“You weren’t prepared for chaos,” Kranemeyer interrupted quietly, finishing Arntz’s sentence for him as his dark eyes flickered between the lawyer and the DNI. “Because that’s what you set in motion, with every bullet fired, with every missile launched. Chaos. You think because our technology is so advanced that we can put a missile through a window—a specific window—that we can control who it kills once it’s through, that we can decide then who lives and who dies? Because that’s not war. That’s not reality. Chaos. . .that’s reality.”

He was born Michael Warnick, a native of Duluth, Minnesota. Now he's known as Umar ibn Hassan, and he's a spiritual leader for the Islamic State in the Egyptian Sinai.

The CIA and Egyptian special forces have been tasked with bringing him in. They've failed.

So now the mission has been simplified: kill him.

On February 2nd, the Shadow Warriors return. . .

message 29: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "“You weren’t prepared for chaos,” Kranemeyer interrupted quietly, finishing Arntz’s sentence for him as his dark eyes flickered between the lawyer and the DNI. “Because that’s what you set in motio..."

Stephen England

Indie fiction king Stephen England returns

message 30: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Samuel wrote: "“You weren’t prepared for chaos,” Kranemeyer interrupted quietly, finishing Arntz’s sentence for him as his dark eyes flickered between the lawyer and the DNI. “Because that’s what y..."

He has also shown me the cover art.....it's the drone to dusty death.

message 31: by Samuel , Director (new)

We have an ask me anything interview with an author and group member going on right now. 3 more days till the thread is locked down.

Jeremy Duns

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 32: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Samuel wrote: "“You weren’t prepared for chaos,” Kranemeyer interrupted quietly, finishing Arntz’s sentence for him as his dark eyes flickered between the lawyer and the DNI. “Because that’s what y..."

Ready for pre - order.

https://www.amazon.com/QUICKSAND-Warr...

message 33: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "We have an ask me anything interview with an author and group member going on right now. 3 more days till the thread is locked down.

Jeremy Duns

https://www.goodreads.com..."

If you don't ask anything in the AMA in time, you can ask here.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/2958...

message 34: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Samuel wrote: "We have an ask me anything interview with an author and group member going on right now. 3 more days till the thread is locked down.

Jeremy Duns

https://ww..."

do check out the interview with Jeremy Duns. He still has a lot to say.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 35: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Samuel wrote: "Samuel wrote: "We have an ask me anything interview with an author and group member going on right now. 3 more days till the thread is locked down.

[authorimage:Jeremy Duns|2958978..."

Interview is now closed, but fear not, Jeremy activated the author question box on his author page! So drop him a question there.

message 36: by Samuel , Director (new)

Hmmm. Unrelated note, I did my first non fiction review in a long time. About Gregory Potemkin of all things. The warm up to the priority list I have going.

message 37: by Samuel , Director (new)

message 38: by Samuel , Director (new)

QUICKSAND A Shadow Warriors Novella by Stephen England

Drone warfare has its place.
But never, never mistake it for clean, precise warfare.
That's what this story by group member Stephen England focuses on.
Set in the Sinai, a drone strike causes a domino to fall.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%...

message 39: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "QUICKSAND A Shadow Warriors Novella by Stephen England

That's what this story by group member Stephen Eng..."

First review done by group member Bodo.....

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 40: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "QUICKSAND A Shadow Warriors Novella by Stephen England

That's what this story by group member Stephen Eng..."

First review done by group member Bodo.....

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 41: by Bodo (new)

Bodo Pfündl | 208 comments Thanks for the exposure, Samuel. ;)

message 42: by Samuel , Director (new)

breaking news! The plot details for the next Mitch Rapp novel have been revealed by group member and Mitch Rapp connoisseur Ryan Steck......it's the conclusion of a story arc that began in Order To Kill. Not many Islamic terrorists around in this story, but Mitch is going to face a true challenge that he's never quite done before. Go up against the full power of the most dangerous historical enemy of his country and match wits with the best spies on Continental Europe.

That's right folks, the legendary government assassin beloved by millions in the Post 9/11 era, is set to decapitate the leadership of the Russian federation and go gunning for their President.

https://therealbookspy.com/2018/02/04...

message 43: by Samuel , Director (new)

When Russian president Maxim Krupin discovers that he has inoperable brain cancer, he’s determined to cling to power. His first task is to kill or imprison any of his countrymen who can threaten him. Soon, though, his illness becomes serious enough to require a more dramatic diversion—war with the West.

Upon learning of Krupin’s condition, CIA director Irene Kennedy understands that the US is facing an opponent who has nothing to lose. The only way to avoid a confrontation that could leave millions dead is to send Mitch Rapp to Russia under impossibly dangerous orders. With the Kremlin’s entire security apparatus hunting him, he must find and kill a man many have deemed the most powerful in the world.

Success means averting a war that could consume all of Europe. But if his mission is discovered, Rapp will plunge Russia and America into a conflict that neither will survive.

message 44: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "When Russian president Maxim Krupin discovers that he has inoperable brain cancer, he’s determined to cling to power. His first task is to kill or imprison any of his countrymen who can threaten hi..."

At the end of Order To Kill, Irene Kennedy had turned Krupin into a de - facto CIA asset if not arranged a detente between him and the USA......but what's more dangerous than an asset that's slipped out of the control of his handlers? The Survivor, also by group member Kyle Mills used this to devastating effect as Senator Carl Ferris became the first enemy in more than a decade to have nearly destroyed Irene Kennedy's career......but it seems here that Kyle Mills is going to take this concept to new heights. This asset is one of the few people on earth who could burn down the world.....and he'd be happy to do so when he goes from ruthless Stalinist Paranoia to full blown power hungry nihilism.

message 45: by Samuel , Director (new)

message 46: by Samuel , Director (last edited Feb 08, 2018 01:07PM) (new)

Some spies live, some spies die.
But to become a legend, as the man who became the blunt instrument for Queen and Country found out, you have to live................Forever And A Day.

‘M laid down his pipe and stared at it tetchily. “We have no choice. We’re just going to bring forward this other chap you’ve been preparing. But you didn’t tell me his name.”

“It’s Bond, sir,” the Chief of Staff replied.

“James Bond.”’

The sea keeps its secrets. But not this time.

One body. Three bullets. 007 floats in the waters of Marseille, killed by an unknown hand.

It’s time for a new agent to step up. Time for a new weapon in the war against organised crime.

It’s time for James Bond to earn his licence to kill.

This is the story of the birth of a legend, in the brutal underworld of the French Riviera.

message 47: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Some spies live, some spies die.
But to become a legend, as the man who became the blunt instrument for Queen and Country found out, you have to live................Forever And A Day.

‘M laid do..."

31/5/18.

http://www.ianfleming.com/forever-and...

message 48: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Samuel wrote: "Some spies live, some spies die.
But to become a legend, as the man who became the blunt instrument for Queen and Country found out, you have to live................Forever And A Da..."

In awe at the challenge Horowtiz has set himself. Having become the first writer in more than ten years to receive a coveted retainer from the Fleming estate, he could have played things safe, but nope, he's going to try make a compelling story about how literary James Bond became literary James Bond.

message 49: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 159 comments Oh, is this is origin story of sorts?

message 50: by Samuel , Director (new)

Andrew wrote: "Oh, is this is origin story of sorts?"

Yeah. How did James Bond rise from just being another nameless agent of "Six" to becoming one of the original government assassins in spy fiction. Sort of like Graveyard of Memories by Barry Eisler but set in Europe in the early days of the Cold War.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.