Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
This topic is about Stillhouse Lake
Archive - Buddy Reads 2018 > Stillhouse Lake - January 13, 2018

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 04, 2018 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 6032 comments Mod
We will be starting a buddy read of Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine on January 13th. Everyone is welcome to join. Please mark your posts with where you are in the book and use spoiler tags as needed.

Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1) by Rachel Caine

Gina Royal is the definition of average—a shy Midwestern housewife with a happy marriage and two adorable children. But when a car accident reveals her husband’s secret life as a serial killer, she must remake herself as Gwen Proctor—the ultimate warrior mom.

With her ex now in prison, Gwen has finally found refuge in a new home on remote Stillhouse Lake. Though still the target of stalkers and Internet trolls who think she had something to do with her husband’s crimes, Gwen dares to think her kids can finally grow up in peace.

But just when she’s starting to feel at ease in her new identity, a body turns up in the lake—and threatening letters start arriving from an all-too-familiar address. Gwen Proctor must keep friends close and enemies at bay to avoid being exposed—or watch her kids fall victim to a killer who takes pleasure in tormenting her. One thing is certain: she’s learned how to fight evil. And she’ll never stop.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments January ?? works for me! LOL

Thank you for making the thread for us! I'm excited to read this one! I love the cover and it looks eerie!

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hahaha. I wasn't sure the date to put down. lol We can do the 21st as you suggested or earlier. Trisha said she didn't mind when the date was because she'd have the book soon. I was thinking of the 13th. Does one date work better for you than the other?

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I can't wait to read this one too. I've heard good things. :)

Trisha I'm open for either 13th or 21st!

and thanks for the threads! I've noted both of them and I'll keep checking back for a date :)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments I’m good with either date so pick one & I’ll work around it.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 04, 2018 02:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Perfect. Why don't we go with the 13th then. That way I won't worry about online time while on vacation. :) I'll edit the first post.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments Oh, yes, that sounds like a plan then! The 13th it is!

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Is everyone ready to start tomorrow? I have it all ready to go. I can’t wait. :)

Trisha I am ready!! I actually ended up buying it for Kindle so I'm charging my kindle now :)

looks like we have 15 chapters

should we come back every 5 chapters? Or 3?

Trisha (and did anyone else notice the soundtrack playlist at the end of the book?? I'm looking it up now! LOL hopefully it's good :D)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments I have my book on Kindle Unlimited, so I haven't really looked into it yet.

I think every 15 sounds reasonable.

And HI Trisha, little Miss Busier Than Ever!! I hope you get some time to do some reading this weekend, or does your job include weekend work?

I love a GOOD mystery and this one looks really good!

Krisite, I am so ready! My husband works on Saturdays/Sundays, so they are my BEST reading days. Although this past week I've practically abandoned him so I could read books galore for a challenge I'm in. LOL My poor eyeballs. Ha ha ha!

Trisha Vicki wrote: "I have my book on Kindle Unlimited, so I haven't really looked into it yet.

I think every 15 sounds reasonable. "

Hey!!! I know, I'm so crazy busy!! I've just asked to scale my hours back because this is just too much! And yes, I work tomorrow too :)

SO every 5 chapters, then?

I love that you read so much your eyeballs hurt! lol poor thing :D I hope they were good reads at least

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments Yes, every 5 chapters. LOL Me and my mistakes!

I'm glad you've asked for fewer hours because you still need to live a little! LOL I've had some really good ones and a couple...eh...but at least I'm pushing for our team!

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Every 5 chapters is fine for me too. Though, to be honest, I’ll probably pop in sooner or later, whenever I have something to say and time to type it.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments Exactly, Kristie, sometimes I pop in sooner; sometimes later. But it's nice to have a general idea of when to post something. I don't think we've ever been rigid about the postings. Hopefully we'll have lots to say. I tend to be lengthy in my comments at times and don't really even know if they're read unless someone comments. But I like to post what's on my mind and sometimes I digress...a LOT...so hope you're okay with that too. LOL

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hahaha. That’s great, Vicki. I like the extra discussion.

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Has anyone started this yet? I'm not sure where I am, so I'll come back and comment when I can mark a spoiler properly with my progress, but I had to see what everyone thought of the opening scene. I thought it was wild. That poor woman. I can't even imagine.

Trisha Finally done with the last buddy read - finally ready for this one.
I hope to start tonight! I'll post later today (hopefully)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments I’m glad you’re getting in some reading time, Trisha :)

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

So, I'm thinking we need to switch to every 3 chapters. I'm at 35% in the book and have just finished chapter 3. I'll probably be halfway through before getting to chapter 5.

I'm curious what everyone thinks of (view spoiler)

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Up to chapter 7 (55%) (view spoiler)

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Up to chapter 11 (75%) (view spoiler)

I'm hoping to finish this one today.

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished. (view spoiler)

I thought it was a great book. I look forward to reading the next one. Hope you two are enjoying it.

message 25: by Trisha (last edited Jan 23, 2018 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha Ugh, I'm sorry I missed you on this one
I had a bunch of real life book clubs pop up and it bogged me down with reading! lol

but I'm finally starting this one!

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hope you love it, Trisha!

message 27: by Vicki (last edited Jan 23, 2018 10:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments Hey, Kristie, I've just finished ch.3 and holy moly! I am really into this one. I love a good, really good mystery and I think this one is so far.

3 Chapters

Sam (view spoiler)

Javi (view spoiler)

I do think that (view spoiler)

Gwen (view spoiler)

Gernally (view spoiler)

message 28: by Vicki (last edited Jan 24, 2018 02:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments 7 Chapters

This is the best mystery I've read in a while.

Sam (view spoiler)

Mel (view spoiler)

Javi (view spoiler)

Graham (view spoiler)

Absolom (view spoiler)

message 29: by Vicki (last edited Jan 24, 2018 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments 11 Chapters

Sam (view spoiler)

Connor and Lanny (view spoiler)

Kez (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments Finished

WOW!

I thought this book was so well done! I loved it, just loved it.

Graham (view spoiler)

The end (view spoiler)

Gwen (view spoiler)

Chris Read it all - kept me hooked so when Killman Creek came up free on kindle unlimited I grabbed it and read it - still kept me riveted until read to the end!!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments I thought it was really good! I'm glad you liked it. Did you like book 2 as well?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Stillhouse Lake (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachel Caine (other topics)