Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Classic Bingo Challenge > Aubrey's 2018 Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited Nov 19, 2018 03:30PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments BINGO COMPLETE

Reserving a spot for this.

B I N G O
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate - Snow - Orhan Pamuk (completed 1/15/18)
B2: Children’s Classic - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith (completed 10/3/18)
B3 Government Banned Book - Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China - Jung Chang (completed 8/2/18)
B4: Classic Made into a Film/TV -Twelve Years a Slave - Solomon Northup(completed 2/20/18)
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - Sleeping on Jupiter - Anuradha Roy- DSC Prize for South Asian Literature (completed 2/9/18)

I1: 20th Century Classic - Efuru - Flora Nwapa (completed 1/9/18)
I2: New-to-You Author - Aurora Leigh - Elizabeth Barrett Browning (completed 3/23/18)
I3: Mystery or Crime Classic - The Journalist and the Murderer - Janet Malcolm (completed 6/1/18)
I4: Classic of More than 500 Pages - Daniel Deronda - Mary Ann Evans (completed 2/13/18)
I5: 18th Century or Earlier Classic - The Bhagavad Gita - Krishna-Dwaipayana Vyasa (completed 5/14/18)

N1: North American Classic - The Coquette - Hannah Webster Foster (completed 8/7/18)
N2: Classic Short Story -The Collected Short Stories - Jean Rhys(completed 1/6/18)
N3: FREE SPACE - Go Tell It on the Mountain - James Baldwin (completed 2/26/18)
N4: Classic Play - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead - Tom Stoppard (completed 7/25/18)
N5: African Classic - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts - Amos Tutuola (completed 8/7/18)

G1: 19th Century Classic - The Story of an African Farm - Olive Schreiner (completed 5/5/18)
G2: Finest Works of Fiction (Martin Seymour-Smith & Editors) - The Castle - Franz Kafka (completed 4/16/18)
G3: Adventure or Action Classic - Queen Margot, or Marguerite de Valois - Alexandre Dumas (completed 3/27/18)
G4: Group Read - We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson(completed 1/13/18)
G5: 21st Century Potential Classic - 2666 - Roberto Bolaño (completed 3/14/18)

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region - Tipping the Velvet - Sarah Waters- Lambda Literary Award (completed 2/19/18)
O2: Lesser known book by a famous author - The Temple of the Golden Pavilion - Yukio Mishima (completed 4/26/18)
O3: Australia, Antarctica, or Oceania Classic - Owls Do Cry - Janet Frame (completed 7/16/18)
O4: A Classic that you have put off reading - Lark Rise to Candleford - Flora Thompson (completed 6/7/18)
O5: Classic written by a Female Author - The Book of the City of Ladies - Christine de Pizan (completed 4/6/18)

Completed - 25/25

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9426 comments Mod
Good luck on whatever you decide for this challenge.

message 3: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Katy wrote: "Good luck on whatever you decide for this challenge."

Thanks for the boost in confidence, Katy. I've filled in some of these, and will work on the rest of them later.

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I have no books filled in on my Bingo, so you are ahead of me. It is a challenge that I plan as I read.

message 5: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Katy wrote: "I have no books filled in on my Bingo, so you are ahead of me. It is a challenge that I plan as I read."

Challenges are useful for when I'm having trouble deciding my next read, so I like seeing what's ahead. Anyway, I've filled this out as best I can, so now all that's left to do is to start reading.

message 6: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments Nice possibilities. Most of your titles are new to me. Enjoy :0)

message 7: by Susie (last edited Jan 01, 2018 06:54AM) (new)

Susie | 751 comments I like your list...Evelina is on my list for this year, and a few will definitely end up on my tbr shelf...
Good luck!

message 8: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 75 comments Great choices! Wish you all the best!

message 9: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Luffy wrote: "Great choices! Wish you all the best!"

Susie wrote: "I like your list...Evelina is on my list for this year, and a few will definitely end up on my tbr shelf...
Good luck!"

Veronique wrote: "Nice possibilities. Most of your titles are new to me. Enjoy :0)"

Thanks, Veronique, Susie, and Luffy. I wish you the best with your own reading challenges.

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3794 comments I loved The Story of an African Farm and We Have Always Lived in the Castle, and am very curious about the Virginia Woolf ghost stories, Sleeping on Jupiter, and, well, most of the others you have here! It will be fun to follow your progress. Enjoy!

message 11: by Brina (new)

Brina Aubrey, I didn't know that you joined here. I always increase my tbr by looking at your choices. Good luck with bingo, it is my favorite game/challenge on goodreads.

message 12: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Kathleen wrote: "I loved The Story of an African Farm and We Have Always Lived in the Castle, and am very curious about the Virginia Woolf ghost stories, Sleeping on Jupiter, and, well, m..."

I'm glad to hear that, Kathleen. I hope you enjoy the challenge as well.

message 13: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Brina wrote: "Aubrey, I didn't know that you joined here. I always increase my tbr by looking at your choices. Good luck with bingo, it is my favorite game/challenge on goodreads."

I saw the quest for women challenge and was intrigued, Brina. Good luck to you as well.

message 14: by Brina (new)

Brina I love that challenge too. Can't wait to see yours.

message 15: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've begun my Bingo (and my first book of 2018) with Snow by Orhan Pamuk. I don't actually intend to go in order; it's just that the book has been on my shelves for so long and qualifies for multiple challenges, so it was an appealing beginning.

message 16: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've started another bingo work, Efuru.

message 17: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished Efuru by Flora Nwapa. My review can be seen above.

message 18: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson and added my review above.

message 19: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed Snow by Orhan Pamuk and added my review above.

message 20: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I rearranged my shelves a tad in order to better incorporate the reading I did in 2018 before I set out on my challenge path, so now I have The Collected Short Stories by Jean Rhys filling the N2 slot. I've posted my review above.

message 21: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Well, I haven't finished any books in a while, but now I've wound up with all four of my current reads qualifying for the bingo. I'll finish one soon.

message 22: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I saw your request for a buddy read of 2666. I fell a bit in love with Bolano last year after reading By Night in Chile and a collection of his short stories. I am set to read The Savage Detectives this year and can't commit to another long book. I wish I could. I look forward to your review. Wonderful list!

message 23: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Tammy wrote: "I saw your request for a buddy read of 2666. I fell a bit in love with Bolano last year after reading By Night in Chile and a collection of his short stories. I am set to read The Savage Detectives..."

Bolano's survived years of my changing tastes, so I'm looking forward to returning to the work that initially attracted me to him (I picked it up cause I liked the cover. Lucky me) and give it a proper review. I liked SD even more than 2666, so I hope you enjoy it.

message 24: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed B5 with Sleeping on Jupiter by Anuradha Roy and posted my review above.

message 25: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed Daniel Deronda and posted my review above.

message 26: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished Tipping the Velvet and posted my review above.

message 27: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished Twelve Years a Slave and posted my review above.

message 28: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments You’re whizzing through your list! And a bingo! Nicely done :O)

message 29: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Veronique wrote: "You’re whizzing through your list! And a bingo! Nicely done :O)"

Thanks, Veronique. By bingo, do you mean that I've inadvertently gotten one? Or is this referring to the little text image I've rigged up.

message 30: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments Did I jump the gun? I did! Was on my phone. Oh well, it doesn’t hurt and you’re very close to one anyway :0)

message 31: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed 2666 and posted my review above.

message 32: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed Aurora Leigh and posted my review above.

message 33: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed Queen Margot, or Marguerite de Valois and posted my review above.

message 34: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I’m adding more books to my TBR list. It is fun to follow your books read.

message 35: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Katy wrote: "I’m adding more books to my TBR list. It is fun to follow your books read."

Ha ha, that's good to hear, Katy. I've certainly done my best to make a diverse bingo for myself.

message 36: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished The Book of the City of Ladies and posted my review, and thus have finally gotten my first bingo; a diagonal, of all things.

message 37: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed 'The Castle' and posted my review, thus getting another bingo through the other diagonal.

message 38: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Congrats on those Bingos!

message 39: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Katy wrote: "Congrats on those Bingos!"

Thanks very much, Katy. After spending so long getting close to practically every single type of bingo and still not getting any, I feel I've reached the tipping point.

message 40: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished The Temple of the Golden Pavillion and posted my review above.

message 41: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished The Story of an African Farm and posted my review above, and thus have gotten a bingo in G.

message 42: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished 'The Bhagavad Gita' and posted my review above.

message 43: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished 'The Journalist and the Murderer' and posted my review above, and thus have gotten a bingo in I.

message 44: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Good for you. Congrats on the newest Bingo Win.

message 45: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments Congratulations Aubrey!

message 46: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Thanks Katy and Sue :)

message 47: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished Owls Do Cry and posted my review above. Five books to go.

message 48: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments Congrats! At this rate, you’ll be done very soon :O)

message 49: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Veronique wrote: "Congrats! At this rate, you’ll be done very soon :O)"

Thanks, Veronique. I'm looking forward to being done, as while I've definitely done some necessary deshelfing of books that have hung around unread for far too long, I miss the ability to be flexible with my reading.

message 50: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 740 comments Aubrey wrote: "Veronique wrote: "Congrats! At this rate, you’ll be done very soon :O)"

Thanks, Veronique. I'm looking forward to being done, as while I've definitely done some necessary deshelfing of books that ..."

Ditto on the flexibility of my reading. This challenge didn't help with my personal TBR list as much as I thought it would.

« previous 1