Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
Archive - Buddy Reads 2018 > The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper - January 7, 2018

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 6032 comments Mod
We will be starting a buddy read of The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick on January 7th. Everyone is welcome to join. Please mark your posts with where you are in the book and use spoiler tags as needed.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick

In this poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure

Sixty-nine-year-old Arthur Pepper lives a simple life. He gets out of bed at precisely 7:30 a.m., just as he did when his wife, Miriam, was alive. He dresses in the same gray slacks and mustard sweater vest, waters his fern, Frederica, and heads out to his garden.

But on the one-year anniversary of Miriam's death, something changes. Sorting through Miriam's possessions, Arthur finds an exquisite gold charm bracelet he's never seen before. What follows is a surprising and unforgettable odyssey that takes Arthur from London to Paris and as far as India in an epic quest to find out the truth about his wife's secret life before they met--a journey that leads him to find hope, healing and self-discovery in the most unexpected places.

Featuring an unforgettable cast of characters with big hearts and irresistible flaws, The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper is a curiously charming debut and a joyous celebration of life's infinite possibilities.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha and anyone else that would like to join - Are you still ready to start tomorrow? I'm looking forward to it. I may start later in the day, but I can start.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I read the beginning yesterday and it was cute. He has just found the bracelet and had the seed of the idea to go on the journey planted. So, basically the blurb. I like that it happened quickly though, so the rest of the story is unknown. We're not waiting for the blurb to start, if that makes sense.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm at 27% or so. Up to "The Photograph" (view spoiler)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 18 comments I was going to start this yesterday, but I ended up binging on The Crown.

Trisha I made it to the beginning too

Bracelet(view spoiler)

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm about 72% in (up to The Paint Pallet) - I'm rather enjoying this story, although I feel like (view spoiler) I still think it's a cute story, I just don't think it'll be an absolute favorite of mine.

message 8: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
Kirsten wrote: "I was going to start this yesterday, but I ended up binging on The Crown."
I've just watched both series in 2 days ....... so bloody good!

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished. I thought it was cute. Nothing really special and overly coincidental for my taste, but still cute enough.

message 10: by Trisha (last edited Jan 15, 2018 08:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha I'm just past Paint Pallette and just finished The Ring
(finally - my IRL book club for this one is tomorrow! lol)

I agree(view spoiler)

but(view spoiler)

Neighbor(view spoiler)

Trisha I'm done

I really enjoyed this one - probably more of 3.5 rating

I was okay with the coincidences because I think they broke up what could have been a very sad and depressing book. I was okay with the cute moments and the times I laughed because there were so many times when I was so sad for Arthur.

Yay! I'm so glad we read this one!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Phaedra Patrick (other topics)