What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Country Tradition
This topic is about Country Tradition
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Man tells grandson and his friend about rural life. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2082 comments I read this book in the 1970s - my grandparents had a copy. It was a book about rural life in the late 1800s/early 1900s; in each chapter a man is telling his grandson (about 8 or 9, probably) and a female friend of his grandson about what life was like when he was a kid. I remember that the girl didn't know what "dry goods" were, and that grandfather explained that getting enough water for a bath was difficult enough that he and his siblings would use the same water for their baths (taking turns in the tub, one after another). This was a hardcover book, fairly thick.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Set in the U.S.? Any particular region? Fiction or nonfiction? Author female or male?

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2082 comments Set in the USA, probably in the prairie. The author was probably male.

message 4: by Andy (last edited Jan 29, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

Andy Love | 2082 comments I should have asked my wife (Pamela Love) about this earlier - she didn't remember the name of the book, but she knew where it was on our bookshelves, just a few feet from where I was when I posted the question. It's "Country Tradition" by John H. Van Gorden - looks just like this https://www.amazon.com/Country-tradit...

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34448 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Andy.

I've asked the Goodreads Librarians Group to add this book - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 6: by Andy (last edited Jan 28, 2018 04:03PM) (new)

Andy Love | 2082 comments Thanks (for both the good wishes, and the request to the Librarians).

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34448 comments Mod
Here's the Goodreads link - Country Tradition by John H. Van Gorden.

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2082 comments Thanks!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Country Tradition (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Pamela Love (other topics)
John H. Van Gorden (other topics)