Reading the Detectives discussion

Group reads > March 2018 Group Read - Winner!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (last edited Dec 31, 2017 02:14PM) (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8429 comments Mod
It's time to nominate for our March group read.

You are welcome to nominate books which were written in the Golden Age or which were written later but are set in the era. Just one nomination per group member, please.

And Then There Were None And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie by Agatha Christie was held over from the runners-up poll to avoid splitting the Christie vote (it was one of the third-placed books with the highest number of votes) and will be in this poll - so please don't nominate anything else by Christie this time round.

The mods have agreed not to carry on with the second chance polls, as they have been getting a bit complicated to run - but in future runners up could well be in line for buddy reads!

message 3: by Judy (new)

You can, Hilary. :)

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9430 comments Mod
Judging by the favourite books of last year, I think I have to nominate:

Holy Disorders Holy Disorders (Gervase Fen, #2) by Edmund Crispin by Edmund Crispin Edmund Crispin

We have read number one (Gilded Fly) and number three (Moving Toyshop) but this is the second in the series, published in 1945.

As inventive as Agatha Christie, as hilarious as P.G. Wodehouse - discover the delightful detective stories of Edmund Crispin. Crime fiction at its quirkiest and best.

Holy Disorders takes Oxford don and part time detective Gervase Fen to the town of Tolnbridge, where he is happily bounding around with a butterfly net until the cathedral organist is murdered, giving Fen the chance to play sleuth. The man didn't have an enemy in the world, and even his music was inoffensive: could he have fallen foul of a nest of German spies or of the local coven of witches, ominously rumored to have been practicing since the 17th century?

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1870 comments I'd like to nominate The Murder at Sissingham Hall by Clara Benson

On his return from South Africa, Charles Knox is invited to spend the weekend at the country home of Sir Neville Strickland, whose beautiful wife Rosamund was once Knox's fiancee. But in the dead of night Sir Neville is murdered. Who did it? As suspicion falls on each of the house guests in turn, Knox finds himself faced with deception and betrayal on all sides, and only the enigmatic Angela Marchmont seems to offer a solution to the mystery. This 1920s whodunit will delight all fans of traditional country house murder stories.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Ooh, good choice, Jill and currently free on kindle in the UK.

message 7: by Judy (new)

I loved The Murder at Sissingham Hall and think Clara Benson would be great to discuss. I've also only just read Holy Disorders and it would also make for a great discussion!

message 8: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 444 comments I'm going with The Jazz Files which has been on my TBR for ages.

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin I'd like to support The Murder at Sissingham Hall as I've just bought it, and have not read Clara Benson before.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Any more suggestions? There are a wealth of good books already in
the list above...

message 11: by Judy (new)

Thanks, Susan. If nobody has any more to add, perhaps we could put the poll up a bit earlier in the month than usual - say on the 10th?

message 12: by Susan (new)

Sounds good, Judy. Going to be a difficult choice!

message 13: by Judy (last edited Jan 11, 2018 01:40PM) (new)

The poll is now open - please cast your votes!
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 14: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) | 250 comments Judy wrote: "The poll is now open - please cast your votes!
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1..."

Well I've voted, but it was a tough decision and my TBR is now that little bit longer! ;-) They all sound good.

message 15: by Susan (new)

They do all sound good, Sue. I have read some of them, but some great choices and all of them look interesting.

message 16: by Judy (last edited Jan 13, 2018 12:52AM) (new)

And Then There Were None has taken an early lead - looking like a 2-horse race with The Murder at Sissingham Hall, although all the books have had a good number of votes.

message 17: by Judy (new)

Still very close between those two leading books, with just a few days to go until the poll closes.

message 18: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 715 comments Since my first pick is irremediably behind, I changed my vote to one of the contenders.

message 19: by Susan (new)

It is definitely a two horse race now.

message 20: by Judy (last edited Jan 25, 2018 11:21AM) (new)

We have a winner! It's And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, which will be our March group read.

It was a very close race between the winner and the runner-up, The Murder at Sissingham Hall by Clara Benson, so, as this book also had such a lot of support, the mods have agreed that we will make this one our April group read. Lots of good reading in store :)

Full results:

And Then There Were None 38 votes, 37.6%
The Murder at Sissingham Hall (Angela Marchmont Mystery #1) 34 votes, 33.7%
The Jazz Files (Poppy Denby Investigates #1) 11 votes, 10.9%
Information Received (The Bobby Owen Mysteries, #1) 9 votes, 8.9%
Holy Disorders (Gervase Fen, #2) 9 votes, 8.9%

message 21: by Susan (new)

Very close - two great books, so a win-win all round, I think!

message 22: by Judy (new)

Yes, they should both make great group reads!

message 23: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1870 comments I, for one , think that is a good decision.

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) | 250 comments I've never read any Clara Benson so I'm looking forward to that one, but "And Then There Were None" is one of my favourite Agatha Christie books so I'm pleased that came out ahead!

message 25: by Judy (new)

I've just suggested a buddy read of Information Received by E.R. Punshon - if you are interested, please post to say so in the thread for organising buddy reads:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...