Reading the Detectives discussion

The Abbey Court Murder (Inspector Furnival, #1)
This topic is about The Abbey Court Murder
Group reads > January 2018 - The Abbey Court Murder by Annie Haynes

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8964 comments Mod
Welcome to our January 2018 group read, The Abbey Court Murder The Abbey Court Murder (Inspector Furnival, #1) by Annie Haynes by Annie Haynes.

As one of the first successful authors of the Golden Age, Annie Haynes showed the way forward to the later "queens of crime". The Abbey Court Murder was first published in 1923 and is the first book in her Inspector Furnival trilogy.

This thread is for people who may not have finished the book yet, so please don't post any spoilers here, but save them for the spoiler thread.

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2064 comments I thought it was obvious who had committed the murder, so the majority of the book was taken up with the history of the characters and their angst. Was much more a love story than a who-dun-it, but was quite interesting. The police inspector, who I had imagined would be the main character, didn't turn up until over half way through. Hoping to see more of him and how he works in future books.

message 3: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia | 813 comments I thought this was 'mis-filed' as a GA mystery - to me it was a throwback to the Victorian 'sensation' novel. I'm popping over to the spoiler thread before I give anything away.

I quite enjoyed this but agree it is more of a sensation novel than a true mystery.

I had previously read the second book in the series, The House in Charlton Crescent, after receiving it as a freebie - that one fits more into the classic detective story format.

Sandy | 2792 comments Mod
I am going to have to actually purchase (!) this for a whole $2! I either missed or ignored any free offer.

I bought this one too, also very cheaply, from Dean Street Press - there are some even cheaper editions with several Haynes stories in one book, but I decided to go for DSP as it had an interesting introduction by Curtis Brown, and I've had so many freebies from them!

Judy wrote: "I bought this one too, also very cheaply, from Dean Street Press - there are some even cheaper editions with several Haynes stories in one book, but I decided to go for DSP as it had an interesting..."

I agree with supporting Dean Street Press, and even better when it doesn't cost much.

Susan | 10028 comments Mod
I think most of the Dean Street Press books I have downloaded have been either free, or under a pound. I'm always happy to buy books and support the author/publisher. I don't really have any other vices, so at least my book buying doesn't hurt anyone - and could even be helpful!

message 9: by Frances (new)

Frances (francesab) | 384 comments I've read the first 3 chapters and have thrown in the towel-I agree with the comments about it feeling more like an old sensation novel than a mystery. Having just reread some Christie and Marsh I realize I'd rather read more of them (or the other Queens) than this novel.

Frances wrote: "I've read the first 3 chapters and have thrown in the towel-I agree with the comments about it feeling more like an old sensation novel than a mystery. Having just reread some Christie and Marsh I ..."

Fair enough, Frances. I must admit that I struggled in the beginning with this. I did get to the end, but it is not going to be one of my favourites...

message 11: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

For Frances and anyone else disappointed by this one, I remember enjoying the second book in the series, The House in Charlton Crescent, more - it’s more of a traditional mystery. So might be worth giving Annie Haynes another try:)

Judy wrote: "For Frances and anyone else disappointed by this one, I remember enjoying the second book in the series, The House in Charlton Crescent, more - it’s more of a traditional mystery. So might be worth..."

Thanks, Judy. I do have a few of hers on my kindle, so may well give her another try in future.

message 13: by Frances (new)

Frances (francesab) | 384 comments Thanks Judy, I did by a bundle of the first 3 so might well try the second.

I also found this a bit too Gothic for my taste. It really seemed set much earlier. I was repeatedly surprised when a car was mentioned.

I found the Inspector an interesting character; his tactics were a bit unauthorized.

message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2064 comments I thought the Inspector's actions were rather underhanded for a member of the Force at that time.

Tania | 427 comments I started this last night and agree that Judith is showing all the classic symptoms of being a heroine in a sensation novel, however, I quite enjoy Sensation and Gothic novels so I shall carry on with it.

message 17: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

On a shallow note, I enjoyed seeing a glamorous heroine called Judith- most fictional Judith and Judy characters are anything but! Often put-upon maids.

message 18: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 817 comments Funny that, Judy—over in the Georgette Heyer group they’re doing a group read of Regency Buck, which has a very glamorous heroine named Judith!

It could be a new trend, Judy :)

message 20: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abigail wrote: "Funny that, Judy—over in the Georgette Heyer group they’re doing a group read of Regency Buck, which has a very glamorous heroine named Judith!"

Thanks, Abigail - I've just had that one recommended to me by Goodreads, funnily enough!

This has been a quiet thread this month. I am assuming that most of us have read it by now and were not that thrilled. Is anyone going to read on?

message 22: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

I enjoyed the second book which I had read previously, and I found this one very readable, so I may well read more.

That's good to hear, Judy.

message 24: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia | 813 comments I would read more, too, with the group - although this one was more Victorian sensation than GA mystery, the writing and characters were vivid and assured.

message 25: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2064 comments It does seem unfair to judge the author on the reading of one book, and as Judy has said she considers the next one to be better, I will probably read on at some time.

message 26: by Sandy (last edited Jan 22, 2018 05:33AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Based on Judy's recommendation, I would not refuse to read the second book, but unless it is hiding on my kindle or selected for a group read, there are just too many other books I'm excited to read.

If anyone else continues, I'm curious if the inspector maintains his odd investigative procedures. Report back, please.

message 27: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sandy wrote: "If anyone else continues, I'm curious if the inspector maintains his odd investigative procedures. Report back, please...."

I don't think he does, as far as memory serves.

I'm now hoping that, if anyone does read the second book on my recommendation, they enjoy it!

I think I would read it with the group, but probably not on my own. There are just too many other books I want to read.