Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Quest for Women Authors > Aubrey's 2018 Quest for Women Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited Oct 26, 2018 11:07AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments CHALLENGE COMPLETE

I'm going to try for both challenges, but it depends on what I have on my shelves.

My Century Challenge, Authors-Some Old Some New
1850-1859 - Aurora Leigh - Elizabeth Barrett Browning, 1856 (completed 3/23/18)
1860-1869 -The Semi-Attached Couple and the Semi-Detached House - Emily Eden, 1860 (completed 6/25/18)
1870-1879 - Daniel Deronda - Mary Ann Evans, 1876 (completed 2/13/18)
1880-1889 - The Story of an African Farm - Olive Schreiner, 1883 (completed 5/5/18)
1890-1899 - A Voice from the South - Anna Julia Cooper, 1892 (completed 10/24/18)
1900-1909 - The Convert - Elizabeth Robins, 1907 (completed 3/30/18)
1910-1919 - The Voyage Out - Virginia Woolf, 1915 (completed 9/13/18)
1920-1929 - The Enchanted April - Elizabeth von Arnim, 1922 (completed 4/12/18)
1930-1939 - The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas - Gertrude Stein, 1933 (completed 3/20/18)
1940-1949 - Lark Rise to Candleford - Flora Thompson , 1945 (completed 6/7/18)

My Decade Challenge, Authors-Some Old Some New

1961 - The Apple in the Dark - Clarice Lispector (completed 4/20/18)
1962 - We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson (completed 1/13/18)
1963 - The Group - Mary McCarthy (completed 8/28/18)
1964 - La Bâtarde - Violette Leduc (completed 8/14/18)
1965 - The Iguana - Anna Maria Ortese (completed 9/19/18)
1966 - Efuru - Flora Nwapa (completed 1/9/18)
1967 - The Essays of Virginia Woolf: Volume 1, 1904-1912 - Virginia Woolf (completed 7/5/18)
1968 - Coming of Age in Mississippi: The Classic Autobiography of a Young Black Girl in the Rural South - Anne Moody (completed 2/22/18)
1969 - Savushun: A Novel About Modern Iran - Simin Daneshvar (completed 2/1/18)
1970 - Julia and the Bazooka and Other Stories - Anna Kavan (completed 1/19/18)

20/20

I've previously read Evans, Woolf, Kavan, Lispector, Jackson, and Stein.

message 2: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1630 comments This is a great list, Aubrey. Several that I am unfamiliar with but need to check out. I am definitely interested in The Blood of the Vampire. I am eager to see if you choose the decade challenge as well. Best of luck with your challenge/s.

message 3: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Laurie wrote: "This is a great list, Aubrey. Several that I am unfamiliar with but need to check out. I am definitely interested in The Blood of the Vampire. I am eager to see if you choose the decade challenge a..."

Thanks very much, Laurie. Marryat's is actually the only book I don't have on hand, so I'm going to have to do some digging. I'm hoping it'll be worth it.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie | 583 comments Great list! I'm intrigued by Aurora Leigh. I've read some of her other work, but I had never heard of this one.

message 5: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Angie wrote: "Great list! I'm intrigued by Aurora Leigh. I've read some of her other work, but I had never heard of this one."

Thanks, Angie. I read parts of AL for university, and I liked it so much that I decided to read the entire work.

message 6: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
You have an exceptional list of books and authors that are new to me. I see we are both reading the decade of the sixties. It looks like you have a more varied list than mine. I’m trying to stay with best sellers from that decade. I’m hoping to end up with a glimpse into the popular culture, what were my parents reading and talking about when I was a kid.

I do admire the members who take on both challenges, good luck.

message 7: by Aubrey (last edited Jan 02, 2018 08:33PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Bob wrote: "You have an exceptional list of books and authors that are new to me. I see we are both reading the decade of the sixties. It looks like you have a more varied list than mine. I’m trying to stay wi..."

Thanks very much, Bob. For whatever reason, I thought that I wouldn't be able to do the decades challenge because my earliest series of ten wasn't 'classic' enough, but when I saw yours I figured it didn't matter. I chalk the variety of my list off of having pursued the goal of reading women for some time now. The deeper you go, the more obscure everything gets.

Good luck to you with your challenge as well.

message 8: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've officially begun my quest for women challenge with Efuru. I wrangled it to fit for quite a few other challenges, both within this group and outside of it, so three cheers for multitasking!

message 9: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments Aubrey wrote: "I've officially begun my quest for women challenge with Efuru. I wrangled it to fit for quite a few other challenges, both within this group and outside of it, so three cheers for mul..."

I love it when a book fits multiple challenges! It's the only way I stand a change at succeeding, really.

message 10: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Leni wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I've officially begun my quest for women challenge with Efuru. I wrangled it to fit for quite a few other challenges, both within this group and outside of it, so three..."

Heh, yep. I already have 33k+ pages of reading planned out for 2018 and am still finishing books from 2017 (shakes fist (but not really cause it's great) at Sacred Games)), so I need to be conservative where I can be.

message 11: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished Efuru by Flora Nwapa. My review can be seen above.

message 12: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments Great start!

message 13: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Veronique wrote: "Great start!"

Thanks, Veronique. I've now finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson and have added my review above.

message 15: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments You’re on a roll!
Sorry to see you didn’t like it although I can see why from your review. I saw and experienced it quite differently, not so much to apologise the horrific act but more as showing horrific social behaviours and psychological illness, challenging our preconceptions.
Hopefully your next book is more to your taste :0)

message 16: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Veronique wrote: "You’re on a roll!
Sorry to see you didn’t like it although I can see why from your review. I saw and experienced it quite differently, not so much to apologise the horrific act but more as showing ..."

Yes, I always get antsy around books where readers on the whole love to armchair diagnose the characters. It doesn't do real people with actual mental illness who are simply trying to live their lives and have good access to healthcare any good. In any case, thanks for liking, Veronique. I hope my next read goes better as well.

message 18: by Aubrey (last edited Feb 02, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed Savushun: A Novel About Modern Iran and posted my review above.

message 19: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed Daniel Deronda and posted my review above.

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Wow, I'm impressed with your list! I've only read one of your listed books, and have never heard of many of the others. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you enjoy!

message 21: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Christine wrote: "Wow, I'm impressed with your list! I've only read one of your listed books, and have never heard of many of the others. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you enjoy!"

My pleasure, Christine. I hope I enjoy them as well.

message 23: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas and posted my review above.

message 24: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3797 comments Ah, you give me hope for my reading of Stein, Aubrey. A very interesting review. I especially like your last point, and the quote at the end. How very true that is.

message 25: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Kathleen wrote: "Ah, you give me hope for my reading of Stein, Aubrey. A very interesting review. I especially like your last point, and the quote at the end. How very true that is."

I'm glad to hear it, Kathleen. The problem with Stein, I find, is not that she isn't interesting, but that the interesting things about her aren't considered 'proper', aka apolitical, enough for academia. Sucks for them.

message 26: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed Aurora Leigh and posted my review above.

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz Treacher | 14 comments Great list! One of my favourite books is The Enchanted April Hope you enjoy it...

message 28: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Liz wrote: "Great list! One of my favourite books is The Enchanted April Hope you enjoy it..."

Thanks Liz. I hope I do so as well.

message 29: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed The Convert and posted my review above.

message 30: by Aubrey (last edited Apr 13, 2018 02:41PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed 'The Enchanted April' and posted my review above. With that, I'm officially halfway through my quest.

message 31: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments Wow, well done! I really need to get my... books together and make some progress on this challenge.

message 32: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Leni wrote: "Wow, well done! I really need to get my... books together and make some progress on this challenge."

Thanks Leni. If you need any advice on which books to read, let me know. I moderate a group devoted to reading books by women :)

message 33: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5031 comments Mod
Half way is terrific! I have The Enchanted April on my own challenge list, so glad to see that others liked it.

message 34: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Sara wrote: "Half way is terrific! I have The Enchanted April on my own challenge list, so glad to see that others liked it."

Thanks, Sara.

message 35: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished 'The Apple in the Dark' and posted my review above.

message 36: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments Wow, Aubrey, you are ploughing through thes challenges!
You have an interesting collection of authors on the century challenge - pre 1900 we tend to see the same few women repeated over and over, it's good to see some names new to me. I'm off to source some of them myself now!

message 37: by Aubrey (last edited Apr 23, 2018 01:13AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Tonia wrote: "Wow, Aubrey, you are ploughing through thes challenges!
You have an interesting collection of authors on the century challenge - pre 1900 we tend to see the same few women repeated over and over, ..."

Thanks Tonia. I moderate a group devoted to discovering great books by women whenever they happen to have been written, so I'm more familiar with the breadth of earlier extremeties of women writers than he average reader. My modus operandi is, if a year existed, a woman worth reading (about) existed.

message 38: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments wow, Aubrey! you are making grt progress on the challenge..

message 39: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments siriusedward wrote: "wow, Aubrey! you are making grt progress on the challenge.."

Thanks, Elena.

message 40: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished The Story of an African Farm and posted my review above.

message 41: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished Lark Rise to Candleford and posted my review above.

message 42: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished The Semi-Attached Couple and the Semi-Detached House and posted my review above.

message 43: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments Aubrey wrote: "I've finished The Semi-Attached Couple and the Semi-Detached House and posted my review above."

Congratulations on completing another one Aubrey! You are doing really well with this challenge. I'm going to focus on it more when I finish my BINGO board.

I see you have The Voyage Out left on your top list. I loved that book. It's not for everyone since it's not plot drivenm but it was definitely for me. I love her writing.

message 44: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Sue wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I've finished The Semi-Attached Couple and the Semi-Detached House and posted my review above."

Congratulations on completing another one Aubrey! You are doing really ..."

Thanks, Sue. TVO will be my tenth Woolf once I've finished her first volume of essays, and I'm looking forward to exploring more of her earlier work.

message 45: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished The Essays of Virginia Woolf: Volume 1, 1904-1912 and posted my review above.

message 46: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished La Bâtarde and posted my review above. Four books to go.

message 47: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished The Group and posted my review above. Three left.

message 48: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've finished 'The Voyage Out' and posted my review above. Only two more.

message 49: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I've completed 'The Iguana' and, with that, the Women Authors Decade challenge. I still haven't managed to get a copy of 'The Blood of the Vampire', so I may be switching it out for another work, as while it isn't available at any of my libraries, there's other 1890's women authored works that are.

message 50: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3059 comments Mod
Congratulations on the completion Aubrey!

« previous 1