I Read Comic Books discussion

Favorite Comic Books 2017

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments I would like to know what people’s favorite (books published and read in 2017)
Here are my Favorites

DC comics
Batman
All-Star Batman
Mister Miracle
Dark Knights: Metal

Marvel comics
The Punisher
Doctor Aphra
All-New Wolverine
The Mighty Thor
Iceman
Astonishing X-Men

Image Comics
Saga
Redneck
God Country
The Old Guard

Other Publishers
Mech Cadet Yu
Babyteeth

My favorite single issues

Batman 23 (The Brave and the Mold)
Batman/Elmer Fudd special 1
Batman Annual 2
All New Wolverine Annual 1
God Country 6
Mech Cadet Yu 1

message 2: by Kate (last edited Jan 01, 2018 02:04PM) (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) I haven't been very active in the group but I'm going to attempt to change that in the new year. I read more graphic novels than I ever have last year and my favorites are as follows:

Saga, Vol. 2
Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery
Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening
Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood
Giant Days, Vol. 1

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Hybrid Creature (devours books instead of brains) wrote: "I haven't been very active in the group but I'm going to attempt to change that in the new year. I read more graphic novels than I ever have last year and my favorites are as follows:

[book:Saga, ..."

The art in Monstress is on a whole new level!
I need to keep reading and get on Vol 2

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) There is a lot to like about Monstress!

message 6: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 633 comments Mod
Some of my favorites from 2017...

Fante Bukowski Two - A continuation of the story from Fante Bukowski. It's sad and funny.

Boy, I Love You: A BL Comics Anthology - A fantastic romance anthology.

Djinn - I picked this up on a whim, and it's a beautiful little story about, yeah, Djinn.

The Long Year - Another anthology (all by the same creator) of short stories that are bleak.

Royal City, Vol. 1: Next of Kin - Such a sad book. I like sad books. This is a solid one.

Motor Crush, Vol. 1 - This book kicked me in the teeth and I loved it. It's fast paced and will throw you for the loop.

Generation X, Vol. 1: Natural Selection - By far the best X-Book released in the massive number of Marvel reboots. Teen angst and drama and everything you would expect from a solid X-Men book.

SuperMutant Magic Academy - Not published in 2017, but such a wonderful collection of comic strips that ultimately tell a fun, quirky story. I want more of this, but I also don't. It's perfect as is.

Okay, so the books I really appreciate are kind of sad and depressing. sigh

message 7: by KaitLphere (new)

KaitLphere | 201 comments Mod
This thread it a great idea! I also read quite a bit this year. Here are a few that stand out:

Godshaper Vol. 1 - I read this in spurts as it was coming out, then read the entire thing before finishing up the series. It's definitely better read as a collection. I liked the world building ideas, although it left me with a lot of questions.

Ladycastle - I love this. Most of the men in a castle/town die and the women have to take charge. Everyone has their thing and everyone is super supportive. There's a new challenge from the outside in every issue.

Runaways (2017-) #1 - The new Runaways series is amazing so far! It's only a few issues in, but Rainbow Rowell is a great match for this book. I love her fiction, and I am SO glad she's breaking into comics! This is also a great opportunity to read the old content.

Misfit City Vol. 1 - A call back to the Goonies movie, but with all ladies! This just wrapped up!

Eleanor & The Egret #1 - Hear me out on this. An egret who talks and eat paintings. Everyone has an animal companion. Everyone except the bad guy lives happily ever after. Watercolors.

Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel - I'm not even kidding, they made these books into graphic novels, and they are great. Just great.

Kin - Holly Black and Cassandra Clare team up to write a three-volume story about a half-fairy who's mother is missing. If you like those authors, you'll like this book.

The Comic Book Story of Beer: The World's Favorite Beverage from 7000 BC to Today's Craft Brewing Revolution - I have recommended this more than any other graphic novel this year. They explain the history and creation of beer with great and varied art. But the starches in the chemistry explanations are represented by tiny teethed bulldozers, which is weird.

Han Solo - Everyone recommends Poe Dameron but no one mentions Han Solo, so I'm doing it. This book is about Han and Chewie in a space race. There are some pretty sweet secondary characters.

I also really enjoyed this run of Hulk with Mariko Tamaki, but I have no idea what the collected editions are called to link them. I also want to say that I really liked Supergirl: Being Super, but to be honest I haven't read the last issue yet.

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Kait wrote: "This thread it a great idea! I also read quite a bit this year. Here are a few that stand out:

Godshaper Vol. 1 - I read this in spurts as it was coming out, then read the entire t..."

Recently read Han Solo and it’s sooo good
Great concept for that Scoundrel

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Here are some of my favorites that I read in 2017:

Lighter Than My Shadow
Generations
Midnight Nation
Heathen Vol. 1
Jeff Lemire's Moon Knight run
The entire Rai series including 4001 A.D. and the tie in book from Valiant.

message 10: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 633 comments Mod
Phillip wrote: "Here are some of my favorites that I read in 2017:

Lighter Than My Shadow
Generations
Midnight Nation
Heathen Vol. 1
Jeff Lemire's Moo..."

Oh man! I have been meaning to read Midnight Nation for a long while. What did you think of it?

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Mike wrote: "Phillip wrote: "Here are some of my favorites that I read in 2017:

Lighter Than My Shadow
Generations
Midnight Nation
Heathen Vol. 1
J..."

I thought it was great. It is a lot more philosophical than other comics I've read. The feeling of the story/design of the book reminded me quite a bit of Sandman and Lucifer. This one grabbed my attention and I read it pretty quickly. The only other thing I've read by Straczynski is some of his Thor stuff, which I also liked. Gary Frank's art totally fit the tone/style of the book. I thought it complemented the story really well.