21st Century Literature discussion

Spill Simmer Falter Wither
This topic is about Spill Simmer Falter Wither
2018 Book Discussions > Spill Simmer Falter Wither - Background/General (no spoilers please) (Jan 2018)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2716 comments Mod
This topic is for background and general chat on Spill Simmer Falter Wither, which is the first of two novels by the young Irish writer Sara Baume. It tells the story of the relationship between a middle aged loner and his rescue dog. Be warned - this is no syrupy feel-good romance...

I will dig out some reviews and start the main threads tomorrow, but for now it would be useful to know who will be participating in the discussion.

Happy New Year

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer I would be interested to participate Hugh.

Neil | 309 comments I have reserved it at the library and plan to participate.

message 4: by Whitney (last edited Dec 31, 2017 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Whitney | 2160 comments Mod
I am currently reading it. I expect to be reading it for awhile. Amazing prose that needs to be savored, and also one I need to take breaks from as it's wrenching. Excellent choice.

Happy New Year, everyone.

Kathleen | 279 comments Ah, good to know that this is best read slowly. I picked up a copy yesterday, and will start some time next week. Looking forward to it, and the discussion. And yes, happy New Year!

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2354 comments I agree wholeheartedly with Whitney's comment. Although I did not take any big breaks from it, I probably should have -- it is gut and heart wrenching. I often had to retreat and reread a passage because the prose is demanding - no skimming allowed if you want to get the most out of this book. I look forward to the discussion.

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2716 comments Mod
Thanks to all of you. Should be an interesting discussion!

message 8: by Viv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Viv JM | 62 comments I am reading this now. I definitely agree with the comments that it is best read slowly and savoured.

Marc (monkeelino) | 2719 comments Mod
Count me in! Had to return my copy to the library, but I took notes and hopefully my memory holds.

message 11: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily (joy1) | 2498 comments LindaJ^ wrote: "... - no skimming allowed if you want to get the most out of this book...."

I guess I have to agree with this -- I picked up the book a few weeks ago, got sucked into it and read furiously, then between feeling a bit bogged down by the story and needing to meet the demands of holiday preparations, I tried skimming. I ended feeling that I didn't "get" the story. Now I have to go back and figure out where I stopped reading carefully, probably back-track a bit, and then hope I can now get it read before it must be returned to the library.

message 12: by Lily (last edited Jan 01, 2018 12:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily (joy1) | 2498 comments Hugh wrote: "A few reviews:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/201......"

This first review has a "new word" in it for me (undoubtedly, it is in the book itself):

boreen noun \bȯr-ˈēn\ plural -s Irish
: a narrow country road or lane especially in hilly country
Origin of BOREEN
Irish Gaelic bōithrīn, diminutive of bōthar road, from Old Irish, probably from bōox, cow; akin to Latin bos cow — more at cow
First Known Use: 1836

“Boreen.” Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. 2018.. Web. 01 Jan. 2018.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ent...

Gave "gardai" -- policemen in the Republic of Ireland, short for gardaí síochána, literally, guardians of the peace.