American Westerns discussion

Favorite Westerns read in 2017?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth | 32 comments What were everyone's favorite Western books read this past year? I read more Westerns in 2017 than I did the year before, and several of them were excellent. Here's my highlights:

The Rhodes Reader: Stories of Virgins, Varmints, and Villains by Eugene Rhodes (edited by W.H. Hutchinson)
The Unforgiven by Alan LeMay
Under Fire by Charles King
The Nerve of Foley, and Other Railroad Stories and Held for Orders: Being Stories of Railroad Life by Frank H. Spearman
The Girl From Kilpatrick's and Other Stories by B.M. Bower
Indian Country by Dorothy M. Johnson
West Is West by Eugene Rhodes
A Century of Great Western Stories edited by John Jakes

message 2: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 226 comments Thanks for the list Elisabeth. I'll check these out. I've been hearing a lot about Dorothy M. Johnson lately and have never read anything by her.

Here's a list of the 27 Westerns that I read in 2017 with short reviews - https://edmandu.blogspot.com/2017/12/...

Some highlights for me include:

Trouble Rides Tall by Harry Whittington
Ambush on the Mesa by Gordon D. Shirreffs
The Legend of Caleb York by Mickey Spillane, Max Allan Collins
Outrage at Blanco by Bill Crider
Guild by Ed Gorman

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Whitt | 30 comments My resolution is to read more in 2018 but here's a few that I enjoyed in 2017:

Buffalo Trail: A Novel of the American West by Jeff Guinn
El Paso by Winston Groom
Glorious: A Novel of the American West by Jeff Guinn
Asunder: A Novel of the Civil War by Curt Locklear

message 4: by Lowell (new)

Lowell Ross | 30 comments I have read many westerns, which were all good reads. My favorite the best to read if you read westerns.
Any of Dusty Rhodes books, start with the 1st. he wrote : Man Hunter. he wrote 18 books. A shame that he passed.
next are the trilogy by Anothony Whitt
Hard Land to Ride
Cold Hard Ride
Into the Hard Hills

message 5: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Whitt | 30 comments Lowell wrote: "I have read many westerns, which were all good reads. My favorite the best to read if you read westerns.
Any of Dusty Rhodes books, start with the 1st. he wrote : Man Hunter. he wrote 18 books. A..."

Thanks Lowell, That's putting the trilogy in some good company. I appreciate the compliment.