Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Author is fictional

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Neylan (patrickneylan) | 43 comments Noticing that "I, An Actor" (ISBN 9780413765505, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) is credited to Nicholas Craig as the author.

The book is a parody of an acting autobiography. Craig is a fictional invention of the actual authors, Christopher Douglas and Nigel Planer.

Whoever corrects it might consider adding "Christopher Douglas and Nigel Planer's parody of an actor's autobiography", just to stop a later, over-zealous editor from "correcting" it back to Nicholas Craig.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
That makes Nicholas Craig a pen-name, and correctly credited as the primary author.

message 3: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Neylan (patrickneylan) | 43 comments A pen-name is a brand, so it makes sense for the likes of Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) and Richard Bachman (Stephen King) to be listed as the author.

But Nicholas Craig isn't a genuine pen-name, since neither of the actual authors is using it as such: they are very much writing under their own names. Otherwise the copyright page would say something like "Christopher Douglas and Nigel Planer writing as Nicholas Craig", as we often see with other writers.

If we apply that logic consistently, Sue Townsend's "Secret Diary" should be credited to Adrian Mole as primary author.

Regardless of the above, thanks for adding the real authors.

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments The diaries of Adrian Mole have always been credited to Sue Townsend. She appears on the covers as the author.

This "autobiography" is credited to Nicholas Craig, "with Christopher Douglas and Nigel Planer", as if they are the ghostwriters helping the actor.

message 5: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Neylan (patrickneylan) | 43 comments This is what it says on the cover, but the cover is not the definitive, official record of what a book actually is. It's a piece of packaging; part of the marketing.

The true, legal record is the copyright page, and nowhere on this page does it say anyone is "writing as Nicholas Craig". The name isn't mentioned at all.

What it does say is this: "The right of Christopher Douglas and Nigel Planer to be identified as authors of this work has been asserted by them in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988".

They are the authors. They have made a legal declaration demanding to be identified as the authors. Shouldn't Goodreads take their word for it?

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments They are credited as secondary authors. Their pseudonym Nicholas Craig, credited on the cover, should be the primary author, according to GR policy.

Authors using pseudonyms do not always use the phrase "writing as...".

message 7: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Neylan (patrickneylan) | 43 comments Nicholas Craig is not a pseudonym or a pen-name. He is the central, fictional character in this work of fiction. Putting him on the cover as the 'author' is part of that fiction.

But if Goodreads policy on identifying the book's details gives the cover priority over the copyright page, then it's only an accident of cover design that Adrian Mole doesn't have his own author profile.

Surely the central issue is that the person listed as the author should actually be the author? Nicholas Craig can't be the author, because he doesn't exist.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 845 comments If you go to the bookstore and look for his books - where do you find them?

Richard castle is a fictional author (from the TV show) but he has a GR profile and if you go to the library or bookstore they are shelved undef that name

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6788 comments Patrick wrote: "Surely the central issue is that the person listed as the author should actually be the author? Nicholas Craig can't be the author, because he doesn't exist. "

By that argument, neither does Illona Andrews or Ellery Queen.

message 10: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Neylan (patrickneylan) | 43 comments Before I pitch in again, I'm not seeing this thread as a hostile confrontation: as you'd infer from the tone of my initial post, it never occurred to me that anyone would think it wasn't an error. It's become an interesting discussion.

Illona Andrews and Ellery Queen do exist. They're pseudonyms. Lots of people trade under names that aren't their real names: Ringo Starr, Michael Caine, Pope Francis. It doesn't make them any less real.

I'd never heard of Richard Castle, but from what I've seen he seems to be a fictional character who has become a pseudonym for some real authors. It doesn't make him entirely analogous to Craig, but it does tie a delicious new knot in this ever-twisted reality.