Mount TBR 2018 discussion

Level 5: Mt. Kilimanjaro (60) > Kristen's Kilimanjaro Climb COMPLETE!

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Dec 27, 2018 05:08PM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments Heyo! My physical TBR is at 140 unread books as of December 31, 2017. I want to try and get that number down to 75ish by the end of the year.

I'm officially out of shelf space and so I will be limiting the amount of books I can buy in 2018. My rule is that I can't buy it unless I need to read it ASAP and the library doesn't have it or I've already read it and love it and need it in my life. I don't want to keep adding any unread books that will sit for months or years at a time, basically. We'll see how that goes. haha

I also want to limit my library usage in 2018. My rule for myself is that I'm only allowed 1 library read after ever 3 TBR reads. Or basically around 3 library reads per month tops. This is counting physical library books and overdrive ones.

I'll probably only update once per month one big wrap up. Wish me luck!

Overall climb progress: 64/60 completed 11/21

message 2: by Kristen (last edited Jan 31, 2018 10:05AM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments JANUARY 2018:

TBR Books Read -

1. The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3) by Agatha Christie 2. Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone, #1) by Leigh Bardugo 3. Siege and Storm (Shadow and Bone, #2) by Leigh Bardugo 4. Ruin and Rising (Shadow and Bone, #3) by Leigh Bardugo 5. Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo 6. Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2) by Leigh Bardugo 7. Literally by Lucy Keating 8. Althea & Oliver by Cristina Moracho
9. Harbinger by Sara Wilson Etienne

Books Bought -

1. Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2) by Neal Shusterman 2. Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1) by Tricia Levenseller 3. Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann 4. Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer 5. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Books Unhauled -

1. Literally by Lucy Keating 2. Harbinger by Sara Wilson Etienne

TBR started at 140.
TBR is now down to: 132

I broke my own rule and bought a few books without immediately reading them. That means I Capture the Castle, Daughter of the Pirate King and Valley of the Dolls were all added to my TBR. If I wouldn't have gotten them, my TBR would have been at my goal for the month, which was 129. Still, I don't think I did too badly. I read Thunderhead right away, which was good. And I already read Winter last year but needed it in paperback to match my set. Love that series so much.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Good luck and happy climbing

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments Hilary S wrote: "Good luck and happy climbing"

thanks! :)

message 5: by Kristen (last edited Feb 27, 2018 10:39AM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments FEBRUARY 2018:

TBR Books Read -

1. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 2. Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum 3. Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann 4. The Belles (The Belles #1) by Dhonielle Clayton 5. Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch 6. Wintersong (Wintersong, #1) by S. Jae-Jones 7. The Wobbit A Parody by The Harvard Lampoon 8. Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1) by Julie Murphy
9. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Books Bought -

1. The Belles (The Belles #1) by Dhonielle Clayton * preordered in December 2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 3. The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour 4. Summer and Bird by Katherine Catmull 5. The Railway Children by E. Nesbit

Books Unhauled -

1. The Belles (The Belles #1) by Dhonielle Clayton * returned that POS.

TBR started at 132.
TBR is now down to: 128

Went to Ollie's Bargain Outlet and got 4 books for $1.99 each. Couldn't resist. Don't even feel bad about it. Overall, don't think I did too great this month. I wanted to get my physical TBR down to at least 125 (and I would have if I didn't buy those Ollie's books hehe). Goal for next month is to get my TBR down to 120 or less!

message 6: by Kristen (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments MARCH 2018:

TBR Books Read -

1. The Siren by Kiera Cass 2. Five Children and It (Five Children, #1) by E. Nesbit 3. Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery 4. Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1) by Tricia Levenseller 5. The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner 6. Where You'll Find Me by Natasha Friend 7. Trouble by Non Pratt 8. The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson

Books Bought -

1. The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw 2. Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy 3. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 4. Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi 5. Beginnings Obsidian & Onyx (Lux, #1-2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Consequences Opal & Origin (Lux, #3-4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Books Unhauled -

1. The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah 2. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins 3. Wintersong (Wintersong, #1) by S. Jae-Jones 4. The Wobbit A Parody by The Harvard Lampoon 5. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier 6. Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1) by Tricia Levenseller 7. The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson 8. The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson
9. The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson 10. Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy

TBR started at 128.
TBR is now down to: 123

- Okay, so I kind of messed up this month because I got into the mood to go to the library and ended up reading a bunch of books not on my TBR instead. I'm not exactly mad about it, but I do wish I would have had time to read more of my own books this month. I don't think I did too badly with book buying this month. When I was at Ollie's this month, I started to look at the books, but didn't really feel like buying any, so that's progress!
- Got Children of Blood and Bone for my birthday (already read it from the library and LOVED IT!!)
- Decided to unhaul two unread books (books 2 and 3 of Mistborn). I pretty much never unhaul an unread book. Progress or just wasteful? I can't decide.
- Decided to ask for the Lux series for my birthday because I am trash. xD Before adding those books, my TBR was actually down to 119 - lower than my goal of 120!

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments I hope you find I Capture the Castle as fantastic I did. I think it will earn its keep and totally justify its purchase :)

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments Karen wrote: "I hope you find I Capture the Castle as fantastic I did. I think it will earn its keep and totally justify its purchase :)"

Thank you. 5 star reads have been hard to come by this year for me. I hope I love it!

message 9: by Kristen (last edited Apr 30, 2018 05:00AM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments APRIL 2018:

TBR Books Read -

NONE - YIKES

Books Bought -

1. Roots The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley 2. Looking for Alaska by John Green 3. Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen 4. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

Books Unhauled -

1. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen 2. Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

TBR started at 123.
TBR is now down to: 121

Goal is to get TBR down to 115.

Went to Ollie's and got 4 books for under $10. Already read and 5 starred three of them and really, REALLY wanted to read Roots anyway so I got that too. 2 of the books were just replacement copies for really old/gross versions of books I already had. So that only technically adds one book to my TBR that I planned on reading anyway. Not bad.

Spent the majority of the month reading the Lux series that I bought last month so it doesn't count for this challenge but did still technically lower my TBR anyway. Also read 4 library books because I HAD to. Once I read The Raven Boys, I couldn't NOT figure out what happens next. No regerts. Not even a single letter.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I like the way you are keeping a tally of books in and out! I think I will try that approach, starting in April. Good luck w your challenge!

message 11: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments I like this tracking format you're using for your climbing & TBR! I might do it at the end of every month, at least the books hauled & unhauled part! Good climbing!

message 12: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments Pam wrote: "I like the way you are keeping a tally of books in and out! I think I will try that approach, starting in April. Good luck w your challenge!"

Thanks. :) It seemed the easiest way to me. Good luck to you too.

message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments Natália wrote: "I like this tracking format you're using for your climbing & TBR! I might do it at the end of every month, at least the books hauled & unhauled part! Good climbing!"

Thank you. :) Have fun tackling your TBR.

message 14: by Kristen (last edited May 29, 2018 11:28AM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments MAY 2018:

TBR Books Read -

1. Cartwheeling in Thunderstorms by Katherine Rundell 2. Scholastic Classics the Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum 3. The Railway Children by E. Nesbit 4. The Boxtrolls A Novel by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel 5. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, #1) by Ann Brashares 6. The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares 7. Girls in Pants The Third Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares 8. Forever in Blue The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares
9. The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5) by Carolyn Keene

Books Bought -

1. Death Note (All-in-One Edition) by Tsugumi Ohba 2. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell 3. The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater 4. The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater 5. Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater 6. The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4) by Maggie Stiefvater 7. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater 8. We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson
9. The Surface Breaks by Louise O'Neill 10. Legendary (Caraval, #2) by Stephanie Garber

Books Unhauled -

1. Trouble by Non Pratt 2. Where You'll Find Me by Natasha Friend 3. A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall 4. The Boxtrolls A Novel by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel

TBR started at 121.
TBR is now down to: 113

Goal is to not worry about it.

Overall climb progress: 35/60

I feel like I've had a good month and I'm on track to reach my goal by the end of the year. I ended up losing my library card and since I'm too shy/lazy/cheap to go get another one, I cut back on my library usage for the time being and that's helped me focus on my own books.

message 15: by Kristen (last edited Jun 30, 2018 04:07PM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments JUNE 2018:

TBR Books Read -

1. Trial by Fire (The Worldwalker Trilogy, #1) by Josephine Angelini 2. Emma by Jane Austen 3. A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1) by Brandon Mull 4. Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2) by Brandon Mull 5. Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3) by Brandon Mull

Books Bought -

1. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Books Unhauled -

1. Trial by Fire (The Worldwalker Trilogy, #1) by Josephine Angelini 2. Firewalker (Worldwalker, #2) by Josephine Angelini 3. Witch's Pyre (Worldwalker, #3) by Josephine Angelini

TBR started at 113.
TBR is now down to: 104

-- 6/1: Goal is to read all of the books I bought this year so far and haven't read. Turns out that is 8 books so I feel pretty confident that I'll be able to do it. That way I'll be caught up for the year and won't have managed to make my TBR any longer.

-- 6/4: Scratch that, reverse it. It's 9 books now. Got The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo from Ollie's for $3.99! :D

-- 6/30: What a horrible awful slumpy ass month this was. Only technically finished 4 books this month. This coming after devouring 29 books in May. I wish I could say now that the month is over I'm feeling ready to read again, but at this point I'm still slumping hard.

Overall climb progress: 40/60

message 16: by Kristen (last edited Jul 31, 2018 05:03AM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments JULY 2018:

TBR Books Read -

1. Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1) by Renee Ahdieh 2. The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver 3. Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman 4. Stolen A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher

Books Bought -

1. Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín (free from library)

Books Unhauled -

1. Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1) by Renee Ahdieh 2. A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1) by Brandon Mull 3. Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2) by Brandon Mull 4. Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3) by Brandon Mull 5. The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver

TBR started at 104
TBR is now down to: 101

-- 7/1: Goal is to overcome the slump but not stress over it. I do better when I don't force myself to read. I would very much like to get my TBR down to 100 or less though. That would be cool.

-- 7/3: Got a free book from the library and a free bluray!

-- 7/10: So done with bullshit books. From now on, if a book I own sucks, I'm just throwing it out the window and forgetting about it forever. Let's face it. 2 years ago I was a book buying idiot. My tastes have changed. I no longer feel the need to read just any book that sounds cool. Nobody has time to read something they're not 100% excited to read in this world of a billion good books. On the bright side, I've definitely learned from my mistakes. I no longer buy random books just because they're cheap or I heard somebody talk about it, etc. Pretty much just been using the library and then when I read a book I love, I will plan to buy that instead of one I haven't read yet.

-- 7/31- Kind of interesting that I spent $0 on books this month. I didn't actually buy any. Just picked up a free one from the library cart. It's been a major long time since I bought 0 books. Not sure how I feel about it. Hopefully I get at least one book next month though.

Overall climb progress: 44/60

message 17: by Kristen (last edited Sep 03, 2018 06:32AM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments AUGUST 2018:

TBR Books Read -

1. The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling 2. The Last Leaves Falling by Fox Benwell 3. Life, After by Sarah Darer Littman 4. Like It Never Happened by Emily Adrian 5. Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce 6. Girl Online (Girl Online, #1) by Zoe Sugg

Books Bought -

1. By Your Side by Kasie West

Books Unhauled -

1. Life, After by Sarah Darer Littman 2. Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce 3. Wolf-Speaker (The Immortals, #2) by Tamora Pierce 4. Emperor Mage (The Immortals, #3) by Tamora Pierce 5. The Realms of the Gods (The Immortals, #4) by Tamora Pierce

TBR started at 101
TBR is now down to: 93

-- 8/1: Goal = No real goal for this month. Just keep reading whatever catches my fancy for now. TBR should dip down under 100 now, so YAY!

-- 8/26: Unhauling a bunch of unread books makes me sad but I'm seriously not going to force myself to finish a series I don't like. I just don't like wasting money.

-- 8/29: Happy with the progress I made this month. :)

--8/31: Weirdly enough, I counted and I unhauled the exact number of books that I bought this year. wtf. 32 bought. 32 unhauled.

Overall climb progress: 50/60

message 18: by Kristen (last edited Sep 29, 2018 06:53AM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments SEPTEMBER 2018:

TBR Books Read -

1. Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1) by Lana Popović 2. The Girl at Midnight (The Girl at Midnight, #1) by Melissa Grey 3. Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger

Books Bought -

1. The Ghost Road by Charis Cotter (won free in giveaway)

Books Unhauled -

1. Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1) by Lana Popović

TBR started at 93
TBR is now down to: 90

-- 9/1: Goal = It would be nice to take 3 books off my TBR this month. That way it'd be down to 90 and I'd be up to 53. I'm rereading old favorites and I have some library holds so hopefully I can actually achieve this.

-- 9/29: Unintentionally read all purple books this month. lol Love it. I'm happy with what I got done since most of the month was dedicated to playing Persona 5 anyway.

Overall climb progress: 53/60

message 19: by Kristen (last edited Oct 30, 2018 07:00AM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments OCTOBER 2018:

TBR Books Read -

1. Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1) by C.C. Hunter 2. Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2) by C.C. Hunter 3. Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3) by C.C. Hunter 4. These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly

Books Bought -

1. Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7) by Sarah J. Maas

Books Unhauled -

1. Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger

TBR started at 90
TBR is now down to: 85

-- 10/1: Goal = This may be a stretch, but my goal is to read 7 books off my tbr this month and complete the climb!
-- 10/30: My BTS obsession took away the majority of my reading time this month but I'm 100% okay with that. I feel confident that I will finish the challenge by next month, just need to read 3 more books! Wee! I also think that my book buying is totally under control now.

Overall climb progress: 57/60

message 20: by Kristen (last edited Nov 27, 2018 10:34AM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments NOVEMBER 2018:

TBR Books Read -

1. White Fang by Jack London 2. The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6) by Carolyn Keene 3. The Clue in the Diary #7 by Carolyn Keene 4. Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8) by Carolyn Keene

Books Bought -

NONE. New girl. Who dis?

Books Unhauled -

NONE.

TBR started at 85
TBR is now down to: 80

-- 11/1: Goal - Read three books and finish the challenge!
-- 11/21: Completed challenge!!

Overall climb progress: 61/60

message 21: by Kristen (last edited Dec 27, 2018 05:07PM) (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments DECEMBER 2018:

TBR Books Read -

1. The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson 2. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll 3. Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

Books Bought -

1. Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2) by Kiersten White 2. A Million Junes by Emily Henry 3. Once and for All by Sarah Dessen 4. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell 5. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger 6. The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry 7. Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor 8. Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Laini Taylor
9. The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5) by Sarah J. Maas

Books Unhauled -

1. just some arcs

TBR started at 80
TBR is now down to: 76

-- 12/1: No goals. Just do whatever this month.

12/8: This month is obviously Christmas and so there will be some books being hauled this month. I'm not about to feel bad about it any time soon. Most of the books I got this month were books I already read and loved so it doesn't add much to the TBR anyhow.

12/26: So that's pretty much it for the year. My goal a year ago was to get my TBR down to around 75. It's at 76. Close enough. lol I WIN 2018!

Overall climb progress: 64/60

message 22: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Congrats on completing your challenge!!

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments Jessika wrote: "Congrats on completing your challenge!!"

thank you! :)

message 24: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) Congrats Kristen! I see you even made some extra miles circling the peak :)

message 25: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments Sam wrote: "Congrats Kristen! I see you even made some extra miles circling the peak :)"

haha yeah. Thanks. I'm glad I did this this year. (:

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Well done!

message 27: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 23 comments Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) wrote: "Well done!"

Thank you! Happy New Year!