Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > My Family and Other Animals - Durrell - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2811 comments My Family and Other Animals (Corfu Trilogy, #1) by Gerald Durrell
My Family and Other Animals - Durrell
Audio performance by Nigel Davenport
3.5 stars

I didn’t enjoy this quite as much as I expected. The writing reminded me a bit of James Herriot. I enjoyed most of the animal stories, although I couldn’t help being a bit appalled by the capture and treatment of wild creatures. ( I realize that the book was a memoir which reflected the attitudes of the time.) There were some humor and clearly exaggerated stories that were entertaining to listen to. But, overall, I couldn’t warm up to Durrell’s eccentric family. I felt there was too much dysfunctional truth behind the humor. Possibly, I just wasn’t in the mood for it.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5764 comments Jgrace wrote: "My Family and Other Animals (Corfu Trilogy, #1) by Gerald Durrell
My Family and Other Animals - Durrell
Audio performance by Nigel Davenport
3.5 stars

I didn’t enjoy this quite as much as I expected. The writing ..."

I think I would like to read this. I read a book by his brother Lawrence Durrell Bitter Lemons of Cyprus and loved it. It made my top ten the year I read it. I've always meant to read more of him and have a few on my TBR. As I understand it he also lived in Corfu for a while.