Horror Aficionados discussion

The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)
This topic is about The Book of the Dead
Buddy Reads > The Book of the Dead

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Ginger | 3290 comments Come join Terry and I on January the 1st for another epic BR with Pendergast! We're starting the new year off right!

This is book #7 in the series and the last one in the Diogenes series.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Need I say . . . Muah ha ha!?

Ginger | 3290 comments Matthew wrote: "Need I say . . . Muah ha ha!?"

Yes, you still need to say it. hahaha!!

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Need I say . . . Muah ha ha!?"

Yes, you still need to say it. hahaha!!"

That's right, it has to be started off right with the mysterious laugh!

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments What's weird about this one is I remember how it ends, but for the life of me I cannot remember the story in this one. I look forward to jogging my brain with your discussions!

Terry | 4867 comments I ended up reading up to ch8. Interesting start. (view spoiler)

message 7: by Ginger (last edited Jan 02, 2018 06:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments I should get back to this today Terry. I overextended myself and had too many books going. I finished one up last night so I should be back to the magical number of "3", and of course one will suffer. ;) hahaha

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "I should get back to this today Terry. I overextended myself and had too many books going. I finished one up last night so I should be back to the magical number of "3", and of course one will suff..."

No worries, Ginger! Work is going to keep me busy, so I'll be slow going no matter what!

Ginger | 3290 comments Just got to Ch6.
Hey, isn't Hugo Menzies (view spoiler)

Nothing good is going to come out of this. haha

message 10: by Terry (last edited Jan 03, 2018 08:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Just got to Ch6.
Hey, isn't Hugo Menzies [spoilers removed]

Nothing good is going to come out of this. haha"

Ha, I like your guess! Makes it (view spoiler)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Man! So far based on your spoilers I am only remembering a few small things. Perhaps it is because this was my leas favorite book of the trilogy?

Terry | 4867 comments Matthew wrote: "Man! So far based on your spoilers I am only remembering a few small things. Perhaps it is because this was my leas favorite book of the trilogy?"

Muah ha ha! Maybe our updates are plants to keep you guessing this time, Matthew... or maybe not...

message 13: by Ginger (last edited Jan 03, 2018 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Matthew wrote: "Man! So far based on your spoilers I am only remembering a few small things. Perhaps it is because this was my leas favorite book of the trilogy?"

Ha! I hope I can say a few more spoilers and you'll figure out which Pendergast book this is. I mean, they're up to #17?! LOL

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Hey, Ginger! Here's a mystery! Do you remember when and where you wrote this?

Ginger wrote: "Great review Matthew! I'm going to check these books out. They look good!"

message 15: by Matthew (last edited Jan 03, 2018 06:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Oh, and I think the overall plot for this one just clicked into my head again!

message 16: by Ginger (last edited Jan 03, 2018 06:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Matthew wrote: "Oh, and I think the overall plot for this one just clicked into my head again!"

I just got to Ch 15. (view spoiler)

I feel like I’m in the movie of The Mummy!!

Ginger | 3290 comments Matthew wrote: "Hey, Ginger! Here's a mystery! Do you remember when and where you wrote this?

Ginger wrote: "Great review Matthew! I'm going to check these books out. They look good!""

Haha! No, I do not remember that. Pendergast per chance?! 😜😂

message 18: by Terry (last edited Jan 03, 2018 06:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Oh, and I think the overall plot for this one just clicked into my head again!"

I just got to Ch 15. [spoilers removed]

I feel like I’m in the movie of The Mummy!!"

Good timing! I just got to ch 16. On ch15, (view spoiler)

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Oh, and I think the overall plot for this one just clicked into my head again!"
I feel like I’m in the movie of The Mummy!!"..."

Yay! We’re at the same spot. I’m stopping for the night and reading my second book. #bookgreed issues 😂🤣

I totally think (view spoiler)

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Oh, and I think the overall plot for this one just clicked into my head again!"
I feel like I’m in the movie of ..."

Yup, I'm stopping too. (view spoiler)

message 21: by Ginger (last edited Jan 03, 2018 07:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Oh, and I think the overall plot for this one just clicked into my head again!"
I feel like I’m i..."

Yeah he did! (view spoiler)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Hey, Ginger! Here's a mystery! Do you remember when and where you wrote this?

Ginger wrote: "Great review Matthew! I'm going to check these books out. They look good!""

Haha! No,..."

It was on my review of this book last April!

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Oh, and I think the overall plot for this one just clicked into my head again!"
I f..."

Makes sense to me.

Ginger | 3290 comments Matthew wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Hey, Ginger! Here's a mystery! Do you remember when and where you wrote this?

Ginger wrote: "Great review Matthew! I'm going to check these books out. They look goo..."

Hahahaha! I will love this book then if I loved your review. 😆

message 25: by Ginger (last edited Jan 04, 2018 05:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Just got to Ch 19 (view spoiler)

Terry | 4867 comments No chance to read today, but I will tomorrow.

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "No chance to read today, but I will tomorrow."

Sounds good! I’m having one of those weeks too! 🤣

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Just got to Ch 19 [spoilers removed]"

I just made it to ch19 myself. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Ginger (last edited Jan 06, 2018 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just got to Ch 19 [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, it could be something other then Diogenes. (view spoiler)

I got to Ch 22 last night. I hope I can read more this weekend. I really want to but this week was nuts with work. Good luck to your Chiefs today Terry!!

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just got to Ch 19 [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, it could be something other then Diogenes.

Well, I definitely remember the heist (view spoiler)

Thanks for the well wish on the game! Hoping it ends up being fun.
I’ll try to read some more later, but it may not be until tomorrow.

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just got to Ch 19 [spoilers removed]"..."

Yeah, I hope it’s something different then Diogenes. He can’t orchestrate “everything nefarious”! *sigh*. 😂

Sorry about your Chiefs !! I was hoping one of our teams could do it. I thought they had it!

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just got to Ch 19 [spoilers removed]"..."

Yeah, I hope it’s something different then Diogenes. He can’t orchestrate “everything nefarious”..."

Yes, we're in mourning here over that loss. They should have been able to win that one. At least now I can watch stress free for the rest of the playoffs, lol.

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just got to Ch 19 [spoilers removed]"..."

Yeah, I hope it’s something different then Diogenes. He can’t orchestrate “everyt..."

I totally understand that. The is the 1st year in awhile that I haven’t been a wreck watching the Hawks. Watching your team in payoffs is so damn stressful!
So basically, anybody but the Pats or Steelers! 🤣😂👍

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just got to Ch 19 [spoilers removed]"..."

Yeah, I hope it’s something different then Diogenes. He can’t orche..."

My sentiments exactly! I'd be happy with anyone else besides those two. 👏🏻😂

message 35: by Ginger (last edited Jan 07, 2018 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Just got to Ch 46 !!! (view spoiler)

So, I've noticed something about the Pendergast books. They start off a bit slow developing the plot, who's doing what, etc.

AND THEN....

It's like they turn up the volume to "blow out your eardrums" to the action, suspense and excitement. They are masters at doing this and you don't want to put the book down. So damn good!

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Just got to Ch 46 !!! [spoilers removed]

So, I've noticed something about the Pendergast books. They start off a bit slow developing the plot, who's doing what, etc.

AND THEN....

It's like they ..."

Yes, I like their formula for the way these books go. They definitely know how to pace the action in the books we’ve read so far. I’m really glad to hear this one goes that way, too. I’m quite a ways behind you, but I’ll try to catch up.

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just got to Ch 46 !!! [spoilers removed]
AND THEN....

..."

No worries. I had some time today and it gets addicting! 🤣🤣

message 38: by Ginger (last edited Jan 08, 2018 12:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Okay, I just stopped at Ch 60 !!!! I have to stop myself from reading so you can catch up. I have 4 other books to read so it's not a big deal with stopping.
It's just soooooo good, addicting and feels like I'm eating Cheetos. ha!!

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Okay, I just stopped at Ch 60 !!!! I have to stop myself from reading so you can catch up. I have 4 other books to read so it's not a big deal with stopping.
It's just soooooo good, addicting and f..."

Wow, you're rolling! I'm excited to hear its just as addicting as the others have been :)! I just started in to ch26. I really liked the ch25, (view spoiler) I do have another BR that started, but I haven't really started actually reading yet, lol. Just haven't had time for any reading really :( I hope to catch up to you in a couple of days.

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Okay, I just stopped at Ch 60 !!!! I have to stop myself from reading so you can catch up. I have 4 other books to read so it's not a big deal with stopping.
It's just soooooo good, ..."

No worries! Like I said, I got to a good stopping place and told myself to "Simmah down nah!" hahaha

I've got 4 other books to read right now so I'm good for a bit.

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Okay, I just stopped at Ch 60 !!!! I have to stop myself from reading so you can catch up. I have 4 other books to read so it's not a big deal with stopping.
It's just ..."

Haha, very good!

Terry | 4867 comments Slowly making progress, here. Up to ch39 (view spoiler)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Terry wrote: "Slowly making progress, here. Up to ch39 [spoilers removed]"

Regarding your spoiler (view spoiler)

Terry | 4867 comments Matthew wrote: "Terry wrote: "Slowly making progress, here. Up to ch39 [spoilers removed]"

Regarding your spoiler [spoilers removed]"

I can definitely see this as we're going along. (view spoiler)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Terry wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Terry wrote: "Slowly making progress, here. Up to ch39 [spoilers removed]"

I can definitely see this as we're going along. [spoilers rem..."

Just wait until the next book . . . #foreshadowing #youneverseeitcoming

Terry | 4867 comments Matthew wrote: "Terry wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Terry wrote: "Slowly making progress, here. Up to ch39 [spoilers removed]"

I can definitely see this as we're going along...."

Haha, I love foreshadowing!!

message 47: by Ginger (last edited Jan 10, 2018 08:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "Slowly making progress, here. Up to ch39 [spoilers removed]"

Woot! Yeah, I don’t want to say to much about what’s going on in the tomb. It’s good though!

A lot happens from where you are and where I stopped. It’s so good! It seems that when Pendergast finally shows up in the book is when it gets addicting. I am enjoying how his character is progressing or either opening up!

Ginger | 3290 comments Okay, Terry. I’m the worst BR friend ever. I finished today! 😆😂
I had the day off and nothing to do. It was inevitable with this book, too addicting and I couldn’t wait.
And oh shit, this book was fantastic and the end was so epic. Can’t wait to talk to you about it!
Oh yeah, when are we getting to book #8?! 😜 Hahahaha
I know it will be a bit but I’m already looking forward to it!

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Ginger wrote: "Okay, Terry. I’m the worst BR friend ever. I finished today! 😆😂
I had the day off and nothing to do. It was inevitable with this book, too addicting and I couldn’t wait.
And oh shit, this book was ..."

Go Ginger!

One thing I am sad to say . . . and I hate to be a party pooper . . . but book 8 was my least favorite of the series I have read so far. I mean, as a book, it is better than most. But, as a Pendergast book . . . Meh

So, probably no Muah ha ha from me on that one . . .

Ginger | 3290 comments Matthew wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Okay, Terry. I’m the worst BR friend ever. I finished today! 😆😂
And oh shit,..."

Eh, that’s okay. They can’t all be 5 star reads in the series. I will curb my expectation with the next! 🤣

« previous 1