75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2018 GR Completed) > Patricia's 100 book challenge 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 235 (235 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments This will be my third year of doing challenges with this group. I love it, I appreciate all the comments, book suggestions, and challenges.
2016 I pledged 80 books and made it to 132,
2017 I pledged 90 books and made it to 157
This year 2018 I pledge 100 books!
I love being part of this community.

reply | edit | delete | flag *

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7509 comments Mod
We love having you! :)

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Elyse wrote: "We love having you! :)"
THANKS SO MUCH !!!!

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 1. Seeing Red
by Sandra Brown (Goodreads Author)

Fast paced mystery and romance book. I really liked the family drama.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 2.The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story
by Douglas Preston (Goodreads Author)

This book is such an amazing conglomeration of science and adventure. The first part details how difficult it is to get the needed resources to begin some of the adventures. Some of the people that are involved are just this side of the law. It is also heartbreaking moments for some of the explorers. There is a 2nd part that talks about the experience of being in the rainforest and the dangers. What was very interesting to me was the discussion of what happened after the original exploration. The health issues and the comparison to early pandemics are troubling. It is a book that will definitely make you think.

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 3. Hot Flash Holidays (Hot Flash Club #3)
by Nancy Thayer

This is a fun book that has as the key characters older females something that I appreciate having joined this 'club'.

message 7: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4071 comments Mod
Off to a great start! I really enjoy Nancy Thayer books :)

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 4.Farewell to the East End: The Last Days of the East End Midwives (The Midwife Trilogy #3)
by Jennifer Worth

This memoir is the last of the series and serves to wrap up what happened to all the midwives and the sisters. It also continues to the story of the terrible poverty and hardships that were suffered by those in the East End. Some of them are so devasting it is haunting. There are also some wonderful happy stories of love especially of Chummy's and the antics of Sister Monica Joan.

message 9: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Patricia wrote: "4.Farewell to the East End: The Last Days of the East End Midwives (The Midwife Trilogy #3)
by Jennifer Worth

This memoir is the last of the series and serves to wrap up what happened to all the m..."

Such a good series! I still need to watch the show!

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 5. The Lying Game
by Ruth Ware (Goodreads Author)

This story keeps you guessing about what is the big lie.

message 11: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Patricia wrote: "5. The Lying Game

This story keeps you guessing about what is the big lie."

Have you read The Woman in Cabin 10? I got it from BotM club in 2016 but haven't read it yet...lol.

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Elyse wrote: "Patricia wrote: "5. The Lying Game

This story keeps you guessing about what is the big lie."

Have you read The Woman in Cabin 10? I got it from BotM club in 2016 ..."

Yes I have read it, in September 2016. Here was my review of it.This was a fast read that has you pondering 'who done it' and trying to understand some of how the events fit. There appear to be some 'red herrings' that had me at one point wondering if the end was going to be 'and she woke from her dream'.

Reading this has me think that perhaps the 'red herrings' are part of this author's style.

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 6. Crime Rib (Food Lovers' Village Mystery #2)
by Leslie Budewitz (Goodreads Author)

A murder mystery set in a village in Montana. The village is trying to become known as a food destination and is preparing for their annual festival. Several murders occur. I don't think the picture on the cover of the book really gives you an idea about the contents. It was a book suggested because of other books I read and I did like it but I thought dogs were going to play a bigger role in the story. Food was the bigger background feature of this story, with some food making your mouth water!

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 7. The Leanin' Dog
by K.A. Nuzum

This is a very sweet story, filled with adventure, hardship, and love. I am not sure how it was on my reading list but I am very glad I read it.

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 8. Orphan Train Rider: One Boy's True Story
by Andrea Warren

I read this after reading a fictional account of the Orphan Train. It was interesting to hear the history behind this time.

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 9. A Gentleman in Moscow
by Amor Towles (Goodreads Author)

This was an interesting book that traces a gentleman in Moscow through many years. In the beginning of the story, I was not sure that I would enjoy it but it is the set up for the adventure that will occur as the story evolves. There were times that I would go back in the story to determine how the changes in the characters occurred.

message 17: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:50PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 10. Origin (Robert Langdon #5)
by Dan Brown (Goodreads Author)

Dan Brown's book always has me looking up the places and things he talks about. This is an interesting book with of course many twists, turns and mysteries.

message 18: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:50PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 11. A Column of Fire (Kingsbridge #3)
by Ken Follett (Goodreads Author)

This is an epic book that weaves a great deal of history into a story that begins with a love between Ned Willard and Margery Fitzgerald. The religious conflicts are heartbreaking. I found that I needed to have a reference to keep the characters and their relationships straight. This would make a great movie or series.

message 19: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:50PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 12. The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries #2)
by Charles Finch (Goodreads Author)
An interesting mystery with clues from the past and a secret society.

message 20: by Annie (new)

Annie | 387 comments Patricia wrote: "12. The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries #2)
by Charles Finch (Goodreads Author)
An interesting mystery with clues from the past and a secret society."

I really enjoy the Charles Lenox mysteries! I've read the first 7 books but need to catch up as I see he has a new one being released on February 20th.

message 21: by Annie (new)

Annie | 387 comments Patricia wrote: "10. Origin (Robert Langdon #5)
by Dan Brown (Goodreads Author)

Dan Brown's book always has me looking up the places and things he talks about. This is an interesting book with of course many twist..."

I have this one in my TBR pile, need to move it up towards the top!

message 22: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:51PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 13. .The Midnight Line (Jack Reacher #22)
by Lee Child (Goodreads Author)

This was a page-turner! I enjoyed reading this Jack Reacher story which has honor and family at its heart. There is also the storyline of addiction to painkillers.

message 23: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:51PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 14. The Princess Bride
by William Goldman

This is a FUN book that has every cliche that you could want, princesses, horses, pirates, sword fights, giant rodents, and true love. There are great lines that you will find yourself remembering at odd moments and words that will then become part of your own speech.
“Life isn't fair, it's just fairer than death, that's all.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
“Inconceivable!"
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”
“My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!”
True love is the best thing in the world, except for cough drops.”

message 24: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:55PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 15.Hardcore Twenty-Four (Stephanie Plum #24)
by Janet Evanovich

Janet Evanovich's books are just crazy escapism and this was no exception with Zombies evading, Grandma swinging and Stephanie babysitting a boa.

message 25: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4071 comments Mod
I'm on book 17 and hope she writes another 25...lol They are truly a perfect break from reality for me :)

message 26: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2661 comments Patricia wrote: "14. The Princess Bride
by William Goldman

This is a FUN book that has every cliche that you could want, princesses, horses, pirates, sword fights, giant rodents, and true love. There are great lin..."

I am watching this with my 11 year old daughter. She is enjoying it. I read the book many, many years ago.

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Andrea wrote: "I'm on book 17 and hope she writes another 25...lol They are truly a perfect break from reality for me :)"

They are fun!

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Carol wrote: "Patricia wrote: "14. The Princess Bride
by William Goldman

This is a FUN book that has every cliche that you could want, princesses, horses, pirates, sword fights, giant rodents, and true love. Th..."

It is a fun movie to watch with your children.

message 29: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:55PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 16. The Rooster Bar
by John Grisham

Sometimes I think that what I am expecting from a book influences how I rate it. I was excited to read this story that has as part of the foundation of the story student loans. Having four children still paying off their loans I was excited to read about this problem in a fiction book. The book starts off well but by the end, it is so far away from the reality that it lost its appeal

message 30: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:56PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 17. The Forgotten (John Puller #2)
by David Baldacci (Goodreads Author)

This was a page-turner that has you gripped from the first page to the last. I love the development of the characters and the twists and turns the story takes. I love the compassion of John Puller evident throughout the story.

message 31: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:56PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 18..Rogue Lawyer (Rogue Lawyer #1)
by John Grisham (Goodreads Author)

What a whirlwind! Multiple stories all intertwined makes this a great read.

Forgot to add this to the list!

message 32: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:57PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 19. Partners (Rogue Lawyer 0.5)
by John Grisham (Goodreads Author)

Great story with perfect title

message 33: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:57PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 20. I have no idea how I forgot to add so many.

A Certain Justice (Adam Dalgliesh #10)
by P.D. James

P.D.James writes intriguing mysteries with lots of twists, turns, and relationships. I enjoyed this.

message 34: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:57PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 21. 100 Days of Happiness
by Fausto Brizzi

This is such a sweet book about such a difficult topic. I appreciated reading it. I have a sister who passed away from cancer and reading this made me understand some of her journey.

message 35: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:58PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 22 .Ireland
by Frank Delaney

I loved reading the story and the stories within the story. Frank Delaney is a master storyteller writing about another master storyteller while weaving the history of Ireland into the story.

message 36: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2661 comments Patricia wrote: "21.Ireland
by Frank Delaney

I loved reading the story and the stories within the story. Frank Delaney is a master storyteller writing about another master storyteller while weaving the history of ..."

If you liked that, you might like his other book, Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show (A Novel of Ireland, #1). It is the first book of a trilogy. I think I liked this a little better than Ireland.

message 37: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Carol wrote: "Patricia wrote: "21.Ireland
by Frank Delaney

I loved reading the story and the stories within the story. Frank Delaney is a master storyteller writing about another master storyteller while weavin..."

I think that you had recommended Ireland to me and I am so glad.

message 38: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:59PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 23 .Before the Fall
by Noah Hawley (Goodreads Author)

This was a fascinating mystery that keeps you guessing! I am afraid to say anything so I won't give it away. The summary "On a foggy summer night, eleven people—ten privileged, one down-on-his-luck painter—depart Martha's Vineyard on a private jet headed for New York. Sixteen minutes later, the unthinkable happens: the plane plunges into the ocean. The only survivors are the painter Scott Burroughs and a four-year-old boy, who is now the last remaining member of an immensely wealthy and power."

message 39: by Patricia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:59PM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 24. The Blood of an Englishman (Agatha Raisin #25)
by M.C. Beaton (Goodreads Author)

Another great Agatha mystery with romance and death galore!
Goodreads summary: Fee, fie, fo, fum. I smell the blood of an Englishman..."At loathsome local pantomime, Agatha Raisin a hears ogre, baker Bert Simple scream, die on stake between legs in stage trapdoor. Agatha's agency finds baker's wife, gorgeous Gwen, was beaten and has affairs, no grieving widow. Case is solved with old pals - Sir Charles, James Lacey, cop Bill Wong.

message 40: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 24.The Moving Finger (Miss Marple #4)
by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie is the master storyteller! I love reading her books and was glad to find one I had not read before.

Goodread's summary
The placid village of Lymstock seems the perfect place for Jerry Burton to recuperate from his accident under the care of his sister, Joanna. But soon a series of vicious poison-pen letters destroys the village's quiet charm, eventually causing one recipient to commit suicide. The vicar, the doctor, the servants—all are on the verge of accusing one another when help arrive.

message 41: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 25. Three Sisters, Three Queens (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels #8)
by Philippa Gregory (Goodreads Author)

This historical fiction book about the three sisters, three queens is told from the viewpoint of Margaret. Life was hard even if you were the queen.

Goodreads summary: As sisters they share an everlasting bond; As queens they can break each other’s hearts.

“There is only one bond that I trust: between a woman and her sisters. We never take our eyes off each other. In love and in rivalry, we always think of each other.

message 42: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 26. Julia Child
by Laura Shapiro

This is a bio of Julia Child. It was interesting in that it gave information not just about what was happening but also some of Julia's politics and feelings about her times. I saw her once at a seafood event. Her physical presence and warmth were captivating.

A biography of Julia Child from the award-winning author of Perfection Salad One of the most beloved figures in 20th-century American culture was Julia Child, the buoyant French Chef who taught millions of Americans to cook with confidence and eat with pleasure.

message 43: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 27. Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple #6)
by Carola Dunn

An interesting mystery set in olden England, some of the references therefor are not what might be considered politically correct. The storyline, however, is interesting.

Daisy Dalrymple visits relatives with fiancé DCI Alec Fletcher, and covers the 1923 Henley Royal Regatta for an American magazine. But tensions escalate between the Ambrose team coxswain Horace Bott - shopkeeper's son and scholarship student at Oxford - and rower Basil DeLancey - the son of an Earl and all-round bounder - who keels over and dies mid-race.

message 44: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 28. Making Habits, Breaking Habits: Why We Do Things, Why We Don't, and How to Make Any Change Stick
by Jeremy Dean

This book does a great job of explaining the science of habits, the whys and hows. Say you want to start going to the gym or practicing a musical instrument. How long should it take before you stop having to force it and start doing it automatically?

The surprising answers are found in Making Habits, Breaking Habits, a psychologist's popular examination of one of the most powerful and under-appreciated processes in the mind.

message 45: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments I love so many of your books you have read. They are a fabulous selection. ❤️❤️❤️📚

message 46: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Joanne wrote: "I love so many of your books you have read. They are a fabulous selection. ❤️❤️❤️📚"
Thanks so much!

message 47: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 29. The Hate U Give
by Angie Thomas (Goodreads Author)

This is an amazing book. The author does a fabulous job not just telling a story but having you feel the story. She is a master storyteller, it was a book I could not put down.

From Goodread's summary:"Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed."

message 48: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 30. The Woman in the Window
by A.J. Finn

You know that when you start reading this book that there is something wrong with Anna Fox. As an avid mystery reader, I even feel that I suspected from the beginning who was the villain from the beginning, however, it is how the author develops the story that has you changing your opinion or considering a different outcome. This is a fast read.

Goodread summary: Anna Fox lives alone—a recluse in her New York City home, unable to venture outside. She spends her day drinking wine (maybe too much), watching old movies, recalling happier times . . . and spying on her neighbors.

Then the Russells move into the house across the way: a father, a mother, their teenage son. The perfect family. But when Anna, gazing out her window one night, sees something she shouldn’t, her world begins to crumble—and its shocking secrets are laid bare.

What is real? What is imagined? Who is in danger? Who is in control? In this diabolically gripping thriller, no one—and nothing—is what it seems.

message 49: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 31.The Wife Between Us
by Greer Hendricks (Goodreads Author), Sarah Pekkanen (Goodreads Author)

Review This one was hard to rate. There were some parts that had me so confused as to who is who, made more confusing that the husband Richard calls one woman Nelly, adding another woman's name. It is fascinating and if you read mysteries you will recognize some of the plot ( abused wife, mysterious phone hang-ups, etc.) however the authors ( 2 of them) throw some curve balls.

Summary from Goodreads:A novel of suspense that explores the complexities of marriage and the dangerous truths we ignore in the name of love.
When you read this book, you will make many assumptions.
You will assume you are reading about a jealous wife and her obsession with her replacement.
You will assume you are reading about a woman about to enter a new marriage with the man she loves.
You will assume the first wife was a disaster and that the husband was well rid of her.
You will assume you know the motives, the history, the anatomy of the relationships.
Assume nothing.

message 50: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 32. Rumpole for the Defence (Rumpole of the Bailey #4)

A series of short stories with Rumpole defending a variety of clients in a fun way. I love his wife and how their home life is part of each of the stories.

Summary from Goodreads: This book is a sheer delight. Mortimer gives us humor as only the British can dish it out. And what great fun to contemplate what it would be like to be Rumpole, an utterly unflappable character, slightly detached from and amused by all of life's challenges, whether they occur in a court of law or as a result of living with a spouse he calls She Who Must Be Obeyed.

« previous 1 3 4 5