Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

2018 Historical Mystery Clue > Lauren's Clue 2018

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Sep 14, 2018 08:50AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1631 comments Mod
Categories/Tasks Claimed

1. General Clue Trivia
- 50th Anniversary (Poison)
- Corpse or Black cover

2. Suspects
- Miss Scarlet (First in series)
- Mrs. White (Nurse)
- Mrs. Peacock (Governess)
- Prof. Plum (Purple cover)

3. Weapons

4. Rooms
- Hall (Chandelier)
- Conservatory (Trees)
- Billiard Room (Round object)
- Ballroom (Dancers)

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Jul 17, 2018 11:17PM) (new)

Category: Rooms
Task: Hall – Read a book with any of the following items on the cover: castle, body of armor, banner, tapestry, candelabra, chanfelier or throne OR read book with any word in the title or author name that rhymes with hall.

Chandelier:
Book: A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander
A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, #2) by Tasha Alexander

Forgot to post that I finished A Poisoned Season.

I enjoyed it more than the first book. Emily's sleuthing has gotten better and the romance is developing in a more believable way.

The story reminded me a bit of Why Kings Confess as it focuses on the same historical theme.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Category: Suspects
Task: Miss Scarlet - Read a book with a red cover OR a glamorous looking female on the cover OR since Miss Scarlet always makes the first game move, read a book that is first in a series.

First in a series:
Book: Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1) by Kerri Maniscalco

It's OK so far, but the heroine is a bit of a twit!

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Finished Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1) by Kerri Maniscalco and it is entertaining overall. While the narrative itself is well-written and the research into the crimes of Jack the Ripper is detailed and faithful to the historical records, the heroine is a bit too TSTL for me and the identity of the infamous killer is obvious from the start.

That said, I'm interested enough in the characters to keep on with the series.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

I completely forgot to update my thread:

Mrs. White – Read a book with a white cover OR a protagonist who is a healer of any kind (nurse, doctor, midwife, herbalist, "wise woman", etc.).

Protagonist is a nurse
Silence for the Dead by Simone St. James
Silence for the Dead by Simone St. James

This one is different from the other books I've read by this author. It was more gothic horror although there is a murder and a mystery.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Category: The Rooms
Conservatory – Read a book showing any type of large, glass structure on the front OR a book with plants, flowers, or trees on the cover.

Trees on cover:
Why Kill the Innocent by C.S. Harris
Why Kill the Innocent (Sebastian St. Cyr, #13) by C.S. Harris

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Finished Why Kill the Innocent (Sebastian St. Cyr, #13) by C.S. Harris - another wonderful installment in the series.

The mystery in this one revolves around several political threads and Harris's attention to historical detail is incredible. It was particularly entertaining to look up the numerous historical figures mentioned in the story.

Can't wait for the next book.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Category: The Suspects
Mrs. Peacock – Read a book with a blue cover OR has any type of bird on the cover OR a protagonist who is a female servant of any kind (housekeeper, companion, governess, cook, maid, etc.).

Protagonist is a governess:
Death on Beacon Hill (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #3) by P.B. Ryan

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Finished Death on Beacon Hill (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #3) by P.B. Ryan - Its been a while since I read the previous book and I remember now just how much I enjoy this series. Will and Nell's growing relationship is a highlight and the mystery is good albeit a bit predictable.

Looking forward to reading the next one.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Category: The Rooms
Billiard Room – Read a book depicting a billiards or pool table on the cover OR a book showing any kind of round object on the cover.

Round object on cover (record):
A Royal Pain by Rhys Bowen
A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) by Rhys Bowen

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Finished A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) by Rhys Bowen - It took me a bit longer to get into this installment perhaps because it takes a while for the mystery to get going and once it does Georgie really doesn't pay enough attention to the clues.

The identity of the culprits is obvious but Georgie doesn't get it until its almost too late.

Kathrine Kellgren's narration of the audio is fantastic, but I was sad to learn from another listener that she passed away recently.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Category: General Clue Trivia
The 50th Anniversary

Poison victim:
Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #7) by Victoria Thompson

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Finished Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #7) by Victoria Thompson - another enjoyable installment. The mystery is different from the other books in the series although it is still easy to figure out what happened.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Professor Plum – Read a book with a purple cover OR a protagonist who is a teacher / professor.

Purple cover:
For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #3) by Rhys Bowen

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Finished For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #3) by Rhys Bowen - Molly is an endearing heroine, but she doesn't always think about the consequences of her actions.

There wasn't really much of a mystery in this one and most of the book focuses on the plight of the garment workers, which is very interesting.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Category: Rooms
Ballroom - Read a book with any type of dancer on the cover OR a book with a gathering of people on the cover (3 or more people).

Dancers on the cover
Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) by Rhys Bowen

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Forgot to post that I finished Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) by Rhys Bowen - this series is a lot of fun even if the protagonist can't see the evidence even when it slaps her in the face.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Category: General Clue Trivia
Dr. Black/Mr. Boddy

Black cover:
Murder on Black Friday (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #4) by P.B. Ryan

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Finished Murder on Black Friday (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #4) by P.B. Ryan - a very quick read and I enjoy this series even though the mysteries are rather predictable.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Colonel Mustard – Read a book with a yellow cover OR a protagonist who is a former or current military man.

Protagonist is a military man:
The Hanover Square Affair (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, #1) by Ashley Gardner