Challenge Corner discussion

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1)
This topic is about Ancillary Justice
Let's Buddy! - Science Fiction > Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie -> Starting January 3, 2018

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Once, she was the Justice of Toren - a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy. Now, an act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with one fragile human body, unanswered questions, and a burning desire for vengeance.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I've read two chapters. (view spoiler)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) I didn't get a chance to start yesterday, but should be able to tonight! :)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Perfect!

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Do you want to set a daily or weekly chapter goal? Or just read and discuss? Either way works for me.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Would you mind if I joined? I have read it recently and would benefit from more discussion to understand it better.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Yes! Please feel free!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) C.P. wrote: "Do you want to set a daily or weekly chapter goal? Or just read and discuss? Either way works for me."

hmm, I'm good with either! Setting a goal might help me stay more on track, but my reading time should open up a lot more after Saturday. Any ideas? :)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) Slytherpuff wrote: "Would you mind if I joined? I have read it recently and would benefit from more discussion to understand it better."

Please do! :)

message 10: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments What about aiming for 3-5 chapters a day for a couple of days and then we can up it if we have more time? The two chapters I read weren't super long.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) Sounds great! I only got to read the first chapter yesterday, so I will try to get to chapter 5 tonight! Not sure what to make of the writing style yet...

message 12: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I haven't read more, so I'll try and get there as well. And I'm in the same boat about the writing. It's a little odd so far.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) Finished chapter five! (view spoiler)

message 14: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Haven't gotten there...but I will catch up tomorrow! Promise! Are you liking the style better yet?

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) Don't stress, I'm going slow too! I used spoiler tags, but there aren't really spoilers, just me ranting about how detached this narrative voice seems to be. :/ the story seems to have kicked off more now though, so I'm hoping I feel more invested soon. What do you think of it?

message 16: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Pretty much the same so far. But hopefully it will pick up as we go along. After all the raving I've heard, it hasn't started how I expected.

message 17: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Kaylin wrote: "Finished chapter five! [spoilers removed]"

YES! Ok, I just finished chapter five and I am having the same feeling. This is really dragging for me. :(

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I've finished the book. About half way through, I started to see more action.

message 19: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Good! Hopefully we will feel the same.

message 20: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I read through chapter 8 on my lunch break. It might be picking up a little for me now. The writing is still clunky and awkward in places though.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) I'm glad it's picking up for you! I pushed through chapter 10 this morning, but I'm still iffy. (view spoiler) It all still feels really straightforward and dry, I kept having to restart chapters because I was zoning out. Honestly, if we weren't reading it together I probably would have DNF-ed by now...

message 22: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing! I'm still not sold on it, but I found it a little more interesting. I would have stopped after those first five chapters (or earlier) if we weren't reading together. Don't feel like you have to keep going!

message 23: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments So...I know that I said this was improving (and it was...a little) but I don't think I want to continue. It's just really dragging for me and I keep thinking about starting other things. I just don't want to spend my time reading something that is only slightly ok.

I don't want to bail on you though...(We really need to find something that we like for a buddy read. We must break this curse!)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) I'm really tempted to bail, but I hate that our reads end this way! I think I'm gonna call it on this one though, it's just not for me. :/ Hopefully we can break this curse soon!!

message 25: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I think I'm going to do the same. It's just not going well. But yes, let's do another soon!

message 26: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments And you reminded me that we read Scyth, so not all our reads have gone poorly.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) Yay for Scythe! And yes, we will definitely have to try again soon! Hopefully this won't be a trend for us in 2018.

Are you planning on reading the sequel to Scythe? I think it actually releases tomorrow!

message 28: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Yes, I am planning on reading it. Not sure when though. I want to get it from my library, if possible, but I don't think they have it in the system yet.