Historical Fictionistas discussion

Buddy Reads > Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

Classified as Young Adult Historical Fiction

I first read this when I was in middle school then again in college. It is actually the first of a trilogy including Let the Circle Be Unbroken and The Road to Memphis

Its about a black family in the south during or right before the civil rights movement. Its a very touching book about a community's struggles with racial tensions.

I was wondering if anybody wanted to read these with me. They are all relatively short books, probably 200 pages each. I was thinking November.

message 2: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Oh no...is this not considered historical fiction? or is nobody interested? :(

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I'd be interested. I can't remember if I read it in school, but I do remember hearing of the first 2. Were you thinking of reading all three together?

message 4: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Yay! Someone is interested. I guess that just depends on what people want to do. I'm happy with just the first one or all three.

message 5: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments This book would actually work really well for the YA HF challenge.

message 6: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Heather, Do you want to just read the first one or all three? We could probably start with the first one and then see how we feel.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to read them as well. If we read the first one in November, that will still be in time for the challenge right? I want to fit this in.

message 8: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments I think the challenge lasts for 4 months September through December.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good. Maybe then I could use the other books in the series as well! :)

message 10: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Probably. These books are so good. I'm excited for November. Wow thats a long time away. :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha yeah, but I think it will come fast. Thanksgiving and Christmas always seem to come fast once summer is over.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 54 comments I enjoyed this book. But I didn't know it was part of a series. I learned something new today!

message 13: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Yep Jennifer. I actually think the third one might be my favorite. Its follows Cassie when she's older.

message 14: by Jon (new)

Jon | 342 comments Becky - every time i see this thread title for some reason in my mind i cant help saying rOLF

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 54 comments Oooo, I'm going to have to look for the rest of the series now

message 16: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Okay, am I the only one who forgot about this? Everybody still up for it or do you want to push it back a month or two?

message 17: by Felina (last edited Nov 05, 2009 08:07AM) (new)

Felina | 500 comments I vote for moving it back too. I got the audiobook put on hold at the library but I didn't check to make sure it was CD's. What am I supposed to do with ancient cassette tapes? Blah. Lets revisit the discussion on when to read this after the new year? Holidays are hectic!

message 18: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Mac (YOYOCHKMEOUTHOTMAILCOM) | 51 comments I loved this book! I think I read it as a kid but re read it with my student and fell in love with it. The older you get the more appreciation you get for books like these.

message 19: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments Felina, I will read with you, too, whenever you start it.

message 20: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Cool Maude. How about the beginning of September?

message 21: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments Felina, that's fine with me. I might try and get all three books.

message 22: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Just make sure to remind me.

message 23: by Jena (new)

Jena (outlanderfan74) I read one or two of these books as a sixth grader.
But I recently discovered them again, so I reread the first two, and then Road to Memphis.
They're wonderful, well-written, and filled with genuine emotions. You laugh, you cry, but after reading this series, you come away with a deeper understanding of what racism was like in the south during the 1930's, and you gain an even deeper appreciation for all those who stood up and fought for civil rights when it truly was a risk to do so.