Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > What's new? Tell us about your day

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,299 (1299 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
The title just about sums it up. This is where you can have a free discussion about life and it's many twists, turns, bumps, and happenings.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann S | 618 comments I'm inside reading when I should be outside pruning trees. Just waiting for January, so I can begin the pile of books on my desk.

message 3: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2978 comments Well, happy new year everyone! And many good books :)

message 4: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2847 comments Happy new year everyone! I hope you have celebrated well or are going to! I’m slightly hangover and really tired, but I want to reeeeaaad ;)

I’m a bit bumped I didn’t manage to finish my book yesterday to start the year with a brand new one, like I try to do at every start of the month. Do any of you have the same habit?

message 5: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 426 comments Happy New Year from Australia where that's been 2018 for about 11 hours. My day so far (and half of last night) has been spent arguing with my computer and in particular iTunes. I've ended up having to email myself all of my books to put into iBooks on my iPad mini and bypassing it altogether. Not fun. It's a rather big job. I'm only at our house with Internet for another hour (had to come home with some of the daughters stuff that she couldn't fit into her car when she came home) or so and then I'm back off down to the beach for a few weeks. By myself. Looking forwards to the reading time. I do have lots of proper books down there too.

Hmmm suppose I better get a move on.

message 6: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ Happy New Year to all! It's cold here in Texas, so I'm staying in under a blanket tonight. Hope that those of you who are going out stay safe and warm.

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill | 638 comments Happy New Year to all my fellow readers. We still have a ways to go until we welcome in 2018 here in Southern California but I can't wait to start 2018 ama the amazing reading that,lies ahead for me in the new year! I wish all of your a happy and healthy New Year and lots of wonderful books in 2018!

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments I have never thought about trying to start a new book with the start of a month, but I did hold off on starting my first book for the new challenge until January, which hasn't happened yet here. But actually I haven't decided which book to start with for the year.

I've been in the same spot on the couch for going on 11 hours, getting over sickness and milking every last bit of having my husband wait on me hand and foot. He is the best sick nurse ever. I have a pile of blankets and cookies and chocolate within arms reach!

message 9: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Happy new year, everyone! We considered going someone for the new year but decided it would be needlessly pricy and it's very cold here in Ohio. So we're staying home and watching Better Call Saul and probably cracking open a bottle of wine.

I'm excited for a new year though!

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 479 comments Happy New Year, everyone! I’m so excited to be able to start the first book of my 2018 challenge even though I still have a lot of currently reading books.

message 11: by Peter (last edited Dec 31, 2017 06:24PM) (new)

Peter | -20 comments Happy new year everyone! I'm excited to start my new list.
Sophie, I didn't manage to finish my book either. I like to finish what I'm reading at the end of the year and start fresh each year, but that didn't happen this year.

~*Kim*~ wrote: "Happy New Year to all! It's cold here in Texas, so I'm staying in under a blanket tonight. Hope that those of you who are going out stay safe and warm."

Laura wrote: "Happy new year, everyone! We considered going someone for the new year but decided it would be needlessly pricy and it's very cold here in Ohio. So we're staying home and watching Better Call Saul ..."

Out of curiosity, what is cold to you guys in the States? I'm in Ontario and right now it's -18 degrees Celsius before wind chill (that's -1 degree Fahrenheit for those that don't use metric).

message 12: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Peter, that’s our exact temperature right now! Winters in southern Ohio are a little more mild compared to the time I spent in Boston but I just really dislike the cold. Boston also got much more snow and the cold just seems more worth it when you have pretty landscapes to look at.

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2847 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Happy New Year from Australia where that's been 2018 for about 11 hours. My day so far (and half of last night) has been spent arguing with my computer and in particular iTunes. I've ended up havin..."

I’m in New Zealand, it feels a bit weird to celebrate NYE before everyone and in shorts! I feel your pain about your computer and uploading books! If you have a Mac and iCloud, they automatically sync with your phone when you open them on your computer, but I guess with you troubles you might be on windows! I wish you a lovely holiday at the beach!

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2484 comments It's -10 degrees Fahrenheit in central Wisconsin, USA right now. It has barely got into the single digits for the past week. Way too cold!

Other than that, Happy New Year everyone!

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments We're at 8 degrees here, which is the coldest weather we've had this year. I can't imagine living in a northern US/Canada climate with those negative temps and heaps of snow. I read that it's the second coldest Times Square NYE celebration ever. Everyone on TV looks so miserable.

message 16: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ Peter wrote: "Out of curiosity, what is cold to you guys in the States?"

Well right now it is 31 degrees Fahrenheit in southern Texas. Normally this time of year it would be in the 50's or 60's, so it's cold to us.

message 17: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2785 comments Peter- For me, I consider it cold out when the temp is in the low 30s- literally freezing! We’ve been having highs in the low 60s/high 50s, which is unseasonably warm for Albuquerque. We’ve had no rain for almost 90 days. Usually, by this team of the year we’ve had one snowfall.

Happy New Year and Happy Reading everyone! 🎉🎉🎉

message 18: by Peter (last edited Dec 31, 2017 08:16PM) (new)

Peter | -20 comments ~*Kim*~ wrote: "Peter wrote: "Out of curiosity, what is cold to you guys in the States?"

Well right now it is 31 degrees Fahrenheit in southern Texas. Normally this time of year it would be in the 50's or 60's, s..."

It's all relative to what you're used to having isn't it? I would consider that mild with the weather we've been having lately, but if you're not used to it, it would be cold, lol.

Even though it can be really cold here, like Laura said, when there's snow it makes it a little more worth it because at least it looks nice and there's winter activities you can do in the snow (sledding, skiing, skating etc).

I think my least favourite weather has to be when it hovers right around freezing so it changes back and forth from rain and snow.... if it's going to be cold and snowy, I want it to stay that way, lol.

message 19: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 743 comments I grew up in Minnesota. When I was growing up there, 20 degrees F seemed not so cold, and fine to go out and play. Now I live in Northern California where it rarely gets below 45 F, and I think it’s chilly if it goes below 50. LOL

message 20: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments Happy New Year everyone! It’s not quite midnight here in Georgia but it’s pretty close.

Peter it’s 20 here in Georgia but when you’re used to 50s at night it’s freezing!! I don’t think I own warm enough clothes for this!

Sophie I’m coming to NZ shorts weather is my kind of weather!!

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2847 comments Watching Breaking Bad I never thought it snows in Albuquerque 😉

I’m from Switzerland so we’re used to -5 or 10 Celsius in Winter (apparently around 20F), but I live in Auckland now and had my mildest winter ever at 10C/50F, it was amazing! And really funny to see some people with heavy jackets and some in shorts on the same day 😅

message 22: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1672 comments Happy New Year Everyone! Looking forward to the challenge this year! it is 16 degrees Fahrenheit in Church Road, Virginia. -9 degrees in Celsius according to my phone. No snow unfortunately. It will be a good day to stay in and read tomorrow!

message 23: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Happy New Year everyone.

I literally want to cry when the temp dips down to 30F. Yesterday in Connecticut was 10 degrees and freezing cold. We were out and about all day so in and out of the cold, plus taking the dog out for potty breaks....miserable.

I stayed in for New Years, I was so tired I think I fell asleep around 9pm. Now I'm up super early. I don't usually go out anyways, maybe twice in my entire life. Too cold, too many drunk drivers.

Cant wait to get this challenge started!!!! Good luck everyone :-)

message 24: by Marina H (last edited Jan 01, 2018 05:32AM) (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments Happy New Year everyone!

I'm glad New Years eve is over and I'm ready for a new and I hope better year.
The weather here in Denmark is just gray and wet. I was hoping to go for a walk but it's not that inspiring looking out the window, so I'll probably just stay inside and read my first book of the year and the first book for the ATY challenge.

message 25: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Jan 01, 2018 05:07AM) (new)

Ok, so I've officially started my challenge reading...

I didn't manage to get through my last two books of 2017, The Fever Code and Hollow City, but I'm determined to finish them TODAY. Couldn't find a place for them in the ATY prompts, but I managed to sneak them into Pop Sugar, so I guess thats where I'll be starting off this year.

So thats my plan, books and laundry, too cold to be going out today anyways ❄️

The Fever Code (The Maze Runner, #0.6) by James Dashner Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2) by Ransom Riggs

message 26: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments It’s oddly warm here in Zürich today - 9 degrees at the moment and it looks to be the same all week. I want the snow back!

I’m on the couch deciding whether to finish off the book I started yesterday or start my book for Week One of our challenge. Decisions, decisions.

message 27: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2785 comments True, Sophie! I’m sure there wasn’t a single Breaking Bad episode where it was raining or snowing. They could’ve thrown in a scene, just for fun. A “look, it’s snowing! 5 minutes later- ok, it stopped” realistic type scene. The desert and the Sandia Mountains are absolutely beautiful with a snow covering! We get on average ~10 inches of snow per year. In 2006, we had a foot of snow in a rare blizzard the weekend before New Years. It shut down the city for almost a week!

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Happy New Year! I'm enjoying the new year morning by watching the Mummers Parade, which is a Philadelphia New Years Day tradition. Performers and bands dress in extravagant costumes and dance and perform along a parade route.

Anyone have any new years resolutions (besides complete the ATY challenge!)? This year I'm trying to cut down on sweets and cut down on cell phone/Facebook time.

message 29: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Jan 01, 2018 08:11AM) (new)

Katie wrote: "Happy New Year! I'm enjoying the new year morning by watching the Mummers Parade, which is a Philadelphia New Years Day tradition. Performers and bands dress in extravagant costumes and dance and p..."

Quit smoking......again :-/

and to complete at least 2 challenges this year.📚☕️

message 30: by Michele (new)

Michele (mmicee) | 0 comments My resolution is to save enough money so that I could take my mom traveling, since that is our favourite thing in the world :)

message 31: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
Happy new year everyone! I’ve had a relaxing start to the year. We had a lovely walk in our local park this morning and saw lots of geese, ducks and other wildlife. It’s actually quite warm for December here, about 7 Celsius, though it did rain a little earlier. Now I’m about to start in my first AtY book of the year.

My resolutions are to be healthier (especially eating well and getting more exercise), to spend time on things that matter to me instead of getting sidetracked by Facebook, Twitter and the like, and to have a positive and kind attitude. (Ugh, I sound like I’m writing a self help book!)

message 32: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Bryony wrote: "Happy new year everyone! I’ve had a relaxing start to the year. We had a lovely walk in our local park this morning and saw lots of geese, ducks and other wildlife. It’s actually quite warm for Dec..."

Congratulations on the new Mod job, Bryony. That sounds perfect for you!!

message 33: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
Thanks Tracy, I’m really excited to join such a great team. :-)

message 34: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments I don't usually do resolutions, but I do want to get back into running (I'm not very good, but I need to get moving more again), and I need to drink more water. I downloaded an app a couple of weeks ago to remind me to do that, where I water a little plant for every glass I drink, which is working so far. Not surprisingly, I'm much better at taking care of my pixels than of myself, but at least I have the side-effect of being more hydrated.

Oh, and I want to finally learn how to bake macarons.

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 808 comments Happy New Year everyone! I'm in Southern California as well so anything below 60 is freezing to me; )

I hope to actually finish the challenge this year. My resolution is to also cut back in cell phone time, as that is what takes me away from reading the most.

message 36: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments I'm with you guys on being healthier and start running and exercising again. After a rough last year I sort of just gave up on the healthy part and even though it doesn't show a lot, I can feel a difference.
I don't really believe in resolutions, but I do believe in new beginnings and a fresh start and mine happens to be January 1st 2018 😊

message 37: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments I definitely want to be more active and healthy this year. I'm hoping to hit the gym at least 4x a week. I'm also going for a 4.0 this semester. Wish me luck!

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Yes Jody, macarons are on my baking bucket list. (Yes, I actually have one of those.)

message 39: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2847 comments Jody wrote: "I don't usually do resolutions, but I do want to get back into running (I'm not very good, but I need to get moving more again), and I need to drink more water. I downloaded an app a couple of week..."

You'll see, the more you drink water, the more your body is going to ask for it! I'm sure in no time you won't even need your app anymore!

Katie wrote: "Happy New Year! I'm enjoying the new year morning by watching the Mummers Parade, which is a Philadelphia New Years Day tradition. Performers and bands dress in extravagant costumes and dance and p..."

Bbrr, I hope the costumes are warm! It reminds me of Carnival in February, it could be freezing, but everybody wants to look good and not bundled up 😉

Pam wrote: "True, Sophie! I’m sure there wasn’t a single Breaking Bad episode where it was raining or snowing. They could’ve thrown in a scene, just for fun. A “look, it’s snowing! 5 minutes later- ok, it stop..."

Haha that must have been a panic! But a fun white NYE!

message 40: by Jody (last edited Jan 02, 2018 12:58AM) (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments Katie wrote: "Yes Jody, macarons are on my baking bucket list. (Yes, I actually have one of those.)"

I have one too, although the only thing on it are macarons - they are (like most home bakers) my white whale, and I can't think of anything else while they are still looming over me. I got a Kitchenaid for Christmas, so I'm newly inspired - I've already seen how it whips egg-whites, so I have much more faith in moderate success now!

What else is on your baking bucket list?

message 41: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1393 comments I started Bullet Journaling in September and while doing some research found an interesting idea to replace our enhance resolutions. It is choosing a word to focus on for the year.
At first my word was going to be challenge. Then I found myself constantly trying to push myself to do things I wanted to do, so Push is my word this year.

message 42: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments I'm totally inspired now - I think I'll go out tomorrow and buy a journal! I want to create more this year, and this will be a nice addition.

message 43: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments I've being thinking about starting a bullet journal for the last couple of months, but I always hesitate a little when I'm out shopping, because I don't really know how to start it. And I'm a perfectionist so I want it to be right the first time and I have a feeling you probably work out what works and doesn't work as you go along.

message 44: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments That’s awesome cactus (thanks autocorrect, I typed exactly) what I’m like, Marina. But I need to let go of that so I’m just going to jump in!

message 45: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

I bought a new journal on Saturday....Been wanting to bullet journal since last New Years but never did it. Marina there a million YouTube videos etc....on how to get one started.

I think mine will be more bullet/art journal/smashbook/diary combo though.

message 46: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1393 comments Marina I am a perfectionist too. I just decided the way to be perfect was to make mistakes one day, week and month at a time.
If you start now you will have the perfect system for you by next year. Try everything to find out what you like. It is part of the fun. Remember it is your journal so no one can say it is not perfect but you.

message 47: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments Anastasia wrote: "Remember it is your journal so no one can say it is not perfect but you. .."

And we won't let you say that either! 😄

message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Yessss, bullet journaling is one of my new years resolutions too! I've only made four pages on mine so far, but I super love how it's turning out. I am a total perfectionist too. So I'm just keeping mine very minimal for the time being. I joined a Facebook group a few days ago called Bullet Journal Beginners. It has thousands of members & it's super active. People post a lot of ideas and spreads, so that's been fun for me to look at. Plus, Pinterest is full of amazing ideas.

Push is such a great word for the year, Anastasia. I set a word for the year for myself as well. It's CALM, because I tend to overthink and worry about everything. And my work gets me really worked up sometimes, so I'm trying to be more even keel.

Jody, my cooking/baking bucket list actually has 99 things on it, including croquembouche, puff pastry & croissants from scratch, souffle, and baklava, which I just made for Christmas, and it turned out so beautiful & delicious.

Also, "awesome cactus" definitely needs to become a thing now.

message 49: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments Katie wrote: "Also, "awesome cactus" definitely needs to become a thing now."

Bahahahahaha, yes, I agree!

Actually when I look at your list, I do have a lot on my mental bucket list - I just need to actually put it down. That can go in the bullet journal too!

message 50: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Yes! I was thinking that same thing too because I have mine in a spreadsheet that I never look at.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26