Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > Rebecca - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Dec 31, 2017 07:53AM) (new)

Loretta | 5976 comments Mod
Please use this thread to discuss the book freely!!!

message 2: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Lydia has graciously agreed to be our discussion leader for Rebecca!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Thanks Lydia!

message 4: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 622 comments "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderly again." I love this opening. :-)

message 5: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Corey Piyangie wrote: ""Last night I dreamt I went to Manderly again." I love this opening. :-)"

Yes! It one of my favorite opening lines!

message 6: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: ""Last night I dreamt I went to Manderly again." I love this opening. :-)"

I think that's everyone's favorite Piyangie! 🤗

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... It is a wonderful first line. I also like the last paragraph! I think my favorite book villain is in this book!

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 327 comments I believe this first line gives us a peek into the atmospheric environment of Rebecca: It immediately introduces us to the main character and her point of view. and if read carefully, we can feel the tension.

message 9: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Corey Skye wrote: "I believe this first line gives us a peek into the atmospheric environment of Rebecca: It immediately introduces us to the main character and her point of view. and if read carefully, we can feel t..."

Yes, exactly!

message 10: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 622 comments Skye wrote: "I believe this first line gives us a peek into the atmospheric environment of Rebecca: It immediately introduces us to the main character and her point of view. and if read carefully, we can feel t..."

Exactly, Skye!

message 11: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 622 comments Kelly wrote: "It is a wonderful first line. I also like the last paragraph! I think my favorite book villain is in this book!"

I felt sorry for the villain. That is in itself a rarity. :)

message 12: by Lydia (last edited Jan 03, 2018 05:48AM) (new)

Lydia Corey Piyangie wrote: "Kelly wrote: "It is a wonderful first line. I also like the last paragraph! I think my favorite book villain is in this book!"

I felt sorry for the villain. That is in itself a rarity. :)"

I felt sorry for the villain, but at the same time I was glad when they were out of the picture. They absolutely terrified me.

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 327 comments I also believe Mrs. Danvers steals the show, too.

message 14: by Skye (new)

Skye | 327 comments Piyangie wrote: "Kelly wrote: "It is a wonderful first line. I also like the last paragraph! I think my favorite book villain is in this book!"

I felt sorry for the villain. That is in itself a rarity. :)"

Piyangie, have you read My Cousin Rachel? That truly gives one grounds for thought in terms of 'villains.'

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Skye wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "Kelly wrote: "It is a wonderful first line. I also like the last paragraph! I think my favorite book villain is in this book!"

I felt sorry for the villain. That is in itself a ra..."

I actually like My Cousin Rachel even more!

message 16: by Skye (new)

Skye | 327 comments I adored that book, Kelly!!!

message 17: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "I also believe Mrs. Danvers steals the show, too."

Definitely Skye! What a piece of work! How conniving she was!

message 18: by Skye (new)

Skye | 327 comments She was the perfect predator.

message 19: by Lydia (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

Lydia Corey Question, has anyone watched a movie based on this book? If so, what did you think? If not, would you?

message 20: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Corey I watched the 1997 mini series starring Charles Dance and Emilia Fox. It was pretty ok. There were a few small discrepancies, but overall they stuck to the book.

message 21: by Gini (new)

Gini | 135 comments Well, well Dannie is entertaining a friend and gets seen. He's disgusting so I know he'll be back at some point. And the little mouse bride lets herself be intimidated after that by Dannie! How old is she supposed to be at this point in the story?
This has the same sort of feel style wise as Gatsby. Have to go see which came first now.

message 22: by Skye (new)

Skye | 327 comments I never saw it.

message 23: by Gini (new)

Gini | 135 comments Finished with Rebecca now. Discovered that having a library copy is an incentive for me to get it read. It fits a Hitchcock production.

message 24: by Lydia (last edited Jan 06, 2018 10:39AM) (new)

Lydia Corey Gini wrote: "Finished with Rebecca now. Discovered that having a library copy is an incentive for me to get it read. It fits a Hitchcock production."

Great! Any other thoughts?

message 25: by Gini (new)

Gini | 135 comments I found this and thought it was a bit interesting. It's a few years old but still works well in this case.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/bo...

Hope the link comes up hot :)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Gini wrote: "I found this and thought it was a bit interesting. It's a few years old but still works well in this case.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/bo......"

Great link! Thanks for sharing.

message 27: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 622 comments Skye wrote: "Piyangie, have you read My Cousin Rachel? That truly gives one grounds for thought in terms of 'villains.'.."

I have, Skye. I liked it better than Rebecca. And I know what you mean. There is so much ambiguity as to who actually the villain is.

message 28: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 622 comments Kelly wrote: "I actually like My Cousin Rachel even more!..."

Me too, Kelly!

message 29: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

I read this book in 2016 and while I did enjoy the writing, which, by the way encouraged me to read more by Daphne du Maurier, which I did, I was disappointed with the ending because I had figured out the ending before I got there. What a letdown! I invested all that time reading the book and then it was like, "is that all there is"???!!! ☹️

message 30: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Corey Loretta wrote: "I read this book in 2016 and while I did enjoy the writing, which, by the way encouraged me to read more by Daphne du Maurier, which I did, I was disappointed with the ending becau..."

I wasn’t disappointed, but did feel like we were going full speed and crashed into a wall.

message 31: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Lydia Corey wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I read this book in 2016 and while I did enjoy the writing, which, by the way encouraged me to read more by Daphne du Maurier, which I did, I was disappointed with ..."

Guess I crashed into the wall a lot sooner Lydia! 😊

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... I actually love the ambiguity of the ending. She was a master of that. There are always open questions with her books.

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 11, 2018 08:52AM) (new)

Kelly wrote: "I actually love the ambiguity of the ending. She was a master of that. There are always open questions with her books."

I agree, Kelly. Most of the books I have read by du Maurier allows for some uncertainty about who the villian or villianess is. As a reader we think we know "who done it," but by the end of the story we are never 100% sure. Even the obvious motivating factors can be called into question.

Gini- Thanks for posting the link above. The article was interesting, especially since Colin Firth's name was mentioned, lol.

message 34: by Gini (new)

Gini | 135 comments Lisa A, Glad you liked the article. Colin :) A favorite actor, I think.

message 35: by Skye (new)

Skye | 327 comments Has anyone ever read Frenchman's Creek by du Maurier? It's wonderful!

message 36: by Skye (new)

Skye | 327 comments Lisa A ⛄ wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I actually love the ambiguity of the ending. She was a master of that. There are always open questions with her books."

I agree, Kelly. Most of the books I have read by du Maurier al..."

Perfectly written; she does rely on purposeful 'ambiguity.'

message 37: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Corey Skye wrote: "Has anyone ever read Frenchman's Creek by du Maurier? It's wonderful!"

I’ll have to add that one to my to-read list.

message 38: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "Has anyone ever read Frenchman's Creek by du Maurier? It's wonderful!"

I started reading the book Skye but it didn't grab me so I never finished it. I didn't think the book was as good as Rebecca or Jamaica Inn.

message 39: by Skye (new)

Skye | 327 comments Try it again and also My Cousin Rachel.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Skye wrote: "Has anyone ever read Frenchman's Creek by du Maurier? It's wonderful!"

Yes I have. I read 8 of her novels in 2017. I liked it though it isn't my favorite.

message 41: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "Try it again and also My Cousin Rachel."

I also read and enjoyed My Cousin Rachel Skye.

message 42: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Kelly wrote: "Skye wrote: "Has anyone ever read Frenchman's Creek by du Maurier? It's wonderful!"

Yes I have. I read 8 of her novels in 2017. I liked it though it isn't my favorite."

Yeah, I was on a roll last year reading many of her books too Kelly and it was not a favorite.

message 43: by Debra (new)

Debra  | 20 comments Lydia Corey wrote: "Question, has anyone watched a movie based on this book? If so, what did you think? If not, would you?"

I did not see that version but I LOVED the older black and white version of the movie.

message 44: by Debra (new)

Debra  | 20 comments Skye wrote: "Try it again and also My Cousin Rachel."

My Cousin Rachel is one of my all time favorite books - it is definitely in my top 10

message 45: by Skye (new)

Skye | 327 comments Debra wrote: "Skye wrote: "Try it again and also My Cousin Rachel."

My Cousin Rachel is one of my all time favorite books - it is definitely in my top 10"

I agree, but I also loved Frenchman's Creek and some others.

message 46: by Skye (new)

Skye | 327 comments Elisabeth Ogilive is another author I highly recommend; similar in many ways ( there's always a sense of ambiguity and a twist).

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Have any of you read The House on the Strand? It was very interesting -- quite different from the others. But it had that wonderful, ambiguous ending.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Skye wrote: "Elisabeth Ogilive is another author I highly recommend; similar in many ways ( there's always a sense of ambiguity and a twist)."

I don't think I know her? Classics or modern?

message 50: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Kelly wrote: "Have any of you read The House on the Strand? It was very interesting -- quite different from the others. But it had that wonderful, ambiguous ending."

Obviously I've heard of the book Kelly but I've not read that one.

« previous 1