You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2)
This topic is about Hollow City
Buddy Reads > Hollow City

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments Kristie and I plan to read Hollow City (book 2 of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children) late February or in March. Feel free to join us!

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments Looking forward to it!

Saar The Book owl | 1715 comments Yes, I'll join! I've read the first one and had a love - hate relationship with it, but I'm curious how it will go with the second.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments Great Saar!

What did you love/hate about the first?

message 5: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Jan 06, 2018 11:25AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1715 comments I just couldn't get my head around the story. First I was intrigued, then I lost interest, then it got a hold of me again....I think I'll re - read the first one before the BR starts. Maybe after that I'll be more positive about it.

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments Considering the buddy read for Eyes of the Dragon mid-February, shall we do this one early March? Starting the 3rd or the 4th? I can do later too, I'm flexible.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments I have another buddy read March 10, so the 3rd will work for me better than later in the month, unless it’s closer to the end of the month.

message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments Up to you Kristie. If you prefer to have some time in between all those buddy reads we can do late March. I'm flexible :)

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments Thanks, Peggy. I just boarded my flight. Let me take a look at my schedule once we get to the hotel and get back to you.

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments Hi Peggy & Saar! I'm just checking in. :) Are we still planning to start this one on the 3rd?

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments I can do the 3rd. I might be a bit slow though, I don't have as much time to read in March as usual because of work.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments Oh, I forgot about that, Peggy. Slow is fine with me. If you think that you need to wait a bit, I'm fine with that too.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9298 comments I requested the audio book, since if it is not in audio I can't do it. Too many books to read right now. I don't know when I am going to get it, but I will catch up with you.

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments You have time, Sandra. We aren’t planning to start until March 3rd, which is still a little over a week away.

message 15: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments I'm fine with the 3rd. I have to take a book with me on the train anyway and it might as well be this one :) It's just that when I might normally finish in 5 days, it could be 10 days now.

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments I'm ready to start this weekend. You too Kristie? Did you manage to get the audiobook Sandra?

I wonder if it fits one of the zodiac tasks. Unfortunately there's no task to read a book with a person with a hole in them on the cover.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9298 comments :D That would be an interesting task to gopher for.

I didn't get the audiobook yet. For hard copies I can see in the library webpage when is the due date of the person who has it, but it is not possible to see it for ebooks and audiobooks.

Go ahead without me, do not worry. I will catch up as soon as I get it. Usually audiobooks are faster for me than actual reading.

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2018 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments lol, Peggy. I think it just misses a few tasks, but doesn't really fit any. Unless, we find that it takes place during a specific month, which would be great.

I'll be ready to start. I hope your audio comes in in the next couple of days, Sandra.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments I just grabbed my book to put on my nightstand so I'll be ready to go and decided to flip through a few pictures. The pictures in this one are spread throughout the book. Didn't the last book have a section in the middle with several pictures, in addition to the pictures throughout, or am I remembering wrong? Either way, this one doesn't have that, just the pictures that go with the story along the way.

It does have a nifty little section at the beginning though that is a good reminder of all the characters and their associated peculiarities. It was helpful to me to remember who was who from the first book. I'll review them again before we start.

message 20: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments I checked the first book, but my copies both have only pictures throughout.

Oh yes, it might work for September! The book starts September 3, so we'll have to see how much time passes.

Good to know there's a bit about all the characters.

I finished one of my current books so I'm ready to start this tomorrow.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9298 comments My copy of the first book also had the pictures throughout the book. I did the audiobook for the toppler actually, but check out a print copy to see the pics.

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments I must have just remembered it incorrectly. For some reason, I thought there was a section with several pictures in the middle of the book in addition. I'm probably just thinking of a different book. Thanks for checking ladies.

message 23: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments I finished all shopping and chores for the day, so I'm going to start now :)

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments Very good, Peggy! I have some guests coming over very soon. Once they leave, I'll be starting. :)

message 25: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Mar 04, 2018 01:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments I read the first 3 chapters. I'm really enjoying it so far! It's just like the first book.

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 03, 2018 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments I only made it through the first two chapters! I can't wait to read your spoiler. I'll catch up tomorrow.

Through chapter two: (view spoiler)

message 27: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments Interesting thoughts! I hadn't thought much about what could happen, but it definitely makes sense that they (view spoiler)

Did you see the movie of the first book? There were quite some things in there that were different from the book, and (view spoiler) I can't remember if this happened in the book as well.

message 28: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments I would really love to know the true story behind some of the pictures. In chapter 4, there's a picture of (view spoiler)

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments Peggy wrote: "Interesting thoughts! I hadn't thought much about what could happen, but it definitely makes sense that they [spoilers removed]

Did you see the movie of the first book? There were quite some thing..."

I did see the movie, but it was a while ago and I forget the details of it now. I may have to watch it again.

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments Peggy wrote: "I would really love to know the true story behind some of the pictures. In chapter 4, there's a picture of [spoilers removed]"

I wonder about this... (view spoiler)

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments Kristie wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I would really love to know the true story behind some of the pictures. In chapter 4, there's a picture of [spoilers removed]"

I wonder about this... [spoilers removed]"

I do think some of them are (view spoiler)

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments How are you getting along, Peggy? I made it to page 156 (chapter 6) today. (view spoiler)

It does seem like this book may all take place over several days in September! That will be great if we end up being able to use it for the challenge. :)

I will probably read a little more tonight.

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments I'm at the exact same place! I'll read your spoiler later. I had the same thoughts about the challenge :)

I wanted to read a little more yesterday on the way home but there were train issues and the trains I was in was overcrowded and I could only stand squished between other people.

message 34: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments I finished chapter 6. (view spoiler)

This book seems more action packed and also a bit more violent than the first. What I had with the first and also with this one is that as soon as I start reading I'm fully immersed. Yesterday I slightly panicked because I lost track of time and thought I had passed the station where I was supposed to get out. Often I get distracted while reading on the train by people's conversations or other sounds, so I read my book but at the same time am also aware of everything around me.

Saar The Book owl | 1715 comments Kristie wrote: "I must have just remembered it incorrectly. For some reason, I thought there was a section with several pictures in the middle of the book in addition. I'm probably just thinking of a different boo..."

No, my copy had several pictures in the middle of the book. There are different editions. I'll try to start next week. I forgot about it and I'm a bit overbooked.

message 36: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments Peggy wrote: "I finished chapter 6. [spoilers removed]"

Yes!! (view spoiler)

message 37: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 06, 2018 07:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments Saar wrote: "No, my copy had several pictures in the middle of the book. There are different editions. I'll try to start next week. I forgot about it and I'm a bit overbooked."

Oh!! Now I need to go check my copy. I'll let you know what I find.

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments I checked my copy of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and it had pictures throughout, no chunk in the middle.

Peggy, I was thinking about you saying that you were so absorbed in the book that you lost track of where your train was. I wish I could do that. I can never focus on my reading with anything going on around me. I'm so easily distracted. I don't think I was like that as a kid though. Anyway, I'm impressed that you can read on a train.

I probably won't get too far tonight, but I'm back at it. Starting chapter 7 now.

Regina Atkinson (reginaatkinson) | 5 comments I am currently reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and I will be starting Hollow City right after. I plan to binge this series this month! Happy reading folks!

message 40: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments I hope you love it, Regina! Come back and let us know what you think.

I made it to chapter 9 tonight. I'm too tired to organize any thoughts though. Right now (view spoiler)

message 41: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments I was able to do it as a kid too. As an adult, not so much! But somehow with this book it works.

I do sit in the silence carriage on the train if I can, so that helps. Mostly I can read in a normal carriage too but I get distracted more easily. And sometimes there are people with very loud or very annoying voices, and then I just give up on reading. Or I put my headphones on with the coffitivity app.

When I read at home I also turn off the tv and radio.

message 42: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments Oh Regina, great that you're reading the series too! Do let us know your thoughts on the second book!

Saar The Book owl | 1715 comments Kristie wrote: "I checked my copy of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and it had pictures throughout, no chunk in the middle.

Peggy, I was thinking about you saying that you were so abso..."

It was the Dutch translation who had the pictures in the middel ;)

message 44: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments I didn't know about silence carriages, Peggy. That's a great idea. When I travel I listen to audio books.

message 45: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments Chapter 9 - I'm a little bit confused. (view spoiler)

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments I made it through chapter 12! (view spoiler)

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments Kristie, about loops, they confuse me a bit too. (view spoiler)

I finished chapter 10. (view spoiler)

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 08, 2018 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments There's been a few things that seem inconsistent to me with the loops. I think this was in chapter 11 or 12, so you might want to wait to read it. (view spoiler)

message 49: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments I finished tonight. It ended a little sooner than expected because there is a section of Q&A with the author and a few pages of the next book. This one ended on a big cliffhanger! I can't stand that!! But at least the next book is already published so we don't have to wait too long. I'm not going to read the sneak peek of the next book. I'd rather just start it whenever I decide to start the next book.

Aside from the fact that it's a cliffhanger, I like the way the book ended. (view spoiler)

message 50: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14865 comments I had seen the Q&A and preview before. I never read previews in books either, I just wait until I actually start the whole book.

I can't read your spoilers yet. I have about 80 pages to read of the actual story. I'll probably finish today or tomorrow.

« previous 1