Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Classic Bingo Challenge > Vero’s 2018 ClassicsBingo

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronique (last edited Jul 10, 2018 05:35AM) (new)

Veronique | 896 comments Classics Bingo 2018

Read: 07
Bingo:

description

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate - Ishiguro
B2: Children’s Classic - The Moomins and the Great Flood (read 05/01 - review - 4*)
B3: Government Banned Book - Fahrenheit 451 / The Giver
B4: Classic Made into a Film/TV - Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (read 05/01 - review - 5*)
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - Nebula Award for Best Novel (2015) Annihilation (read 04/04 - review - 4*)

I1: 20th Century Classic
I2: New-to-You Author - Dorothy Parker
I3: Mystery or Crime Classic - Gaudy Night
I4: Classic of More than 500 Pages - The Three Musketeers (read 16/03 - - 5*)
I5: 18th Century or Earlier Classic -

N1: North American Classic -
N2: Classic Short Story - Tales of Hoffmann (read 27/02 - Review - 5*)
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Classic Play - A Streetcar Named Desire / Journey's End
N5: African Classic - The World That Was Ours

G1: 19th Century Classic - Doctor Thorne
G2: Finest Works of Fiction (Martin Seymour-Smith & Editors)
G3: Adventure or Action Classic - Lost Horizon
G4: Group Read
G5: 21st Century Potential Classic - The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region
O2: Lesser known book by a famous author - Agatha Christie: An Autobiography (read 12/02 - review - 5*)
O3: Australia, Antarctica, or Oceania Classic - The Thorn Birds (read 10/07 - review - 5*)
O4: A Classic that you have put off reading
O5: Classic written by a Female Author

message 2: by Veronique (last edited Jan 13, 2018 12:30AM) (new)

Veronique | 896 comments This board is too tempting not to give it a go :O) 2017 was not a brilliant year point of view reading classics, although it did get better towards the end. So, a bingo this time around would be nice, but I’ll be focusing more on getting to books I’ve been meaning to for ages :O)

message 3: by Rosa (new)

Rosa S | 1 comments Following. I want to give this a try.

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9270 comments Mod
Glad you are with us for 2018. Good luck.

message 5: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments Thanks :O)

message 6: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I like the idea of putting the book's image over the Bingo table. Looks more appealing than the list!

message 7: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments It is also my geekiness asserting itself :0)

message 8: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I know the feeling ;-)

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Good luck! :)

Could you also list the books that you read? I really like your putting the image of the book on the table but I cannot make out what it is.

message 10: by Veronique (last edited Jan 13, 2018 12:32AM) (new)

Veronique | 896 comments Thanks :0)
Sure. The list was there but in spoiler tags to take less space. I’ve removed them now. Between all the challenges, I forgot to post my first read book for here *lol*

The Moomins and the Great Flood
review
4*

message 11: by Veronique (last edited Feb 07, 2018 03:19AM) (new)

Veronique | 896 comments B4: Classic Made into a Film/TV - Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (read 06/02 - review - 5*)

This is a re-read but I’ve been fighting this infernal flu bug for over a week and needed something to cheer me up :O) It is such a whimsical little book and yet so charming.

Winifred Watson only wrote 6 books, in the 1930s and early 40s, each very different in style, and I would love to get my hands on all of them. Persephone Books brought it back in publication in 2000 and through word-of-mouth, grew to become a sensation, bringing attention back to this author as well as to the small publishing house (http://www.persephonebooks.co.uk).

In 2008, a film adaptation was made with the excellent Frances McDormand (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970468/). It is nowhere as good as the book - naturally - but it is entertaining :O)

message 12: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3674 comments Excellent review, Veronieque. I'm looking forward to that one. I did enjoy the film--of course, with Frances McDormand--but glad to hear the book is so enjoyable. Hope you're feeling better!

message 13: by Brina (new)

Brina That sounds fun, Vero. I hope you get over the flu soon. I've had the winter doldrums and reading comfort reads too but I will be adding this.

message 14: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments Thanks Kathleen and Brina. Hope you enjoy it too. Comfort reads are definitely helping to keep me sane right now ;0)

message 15: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments O2: Lesser known book by a famous author - Agatha Christie: An Autobiography (read 12/02 - my link text - 5*)

I have been a fan of Agatha Christie for a very long time but knew relatively little of her life. Well, this autobiography was a revelation! Born and brought up a Victorian, living through two world wars, travelling extensively, Agatha really had an amazing life, and this is not including her writing career! You also get her brilliant voice shining through, full of personality. This has reinforced my aim to read all her books (40 ish so far), including the ones she wrote under the name of Mary Westmacott.

I’d recommend this book to all interested in 19th century life and travel, not just crime fiction aficionados :O)

message 16: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments N2: Classic Short Story - Tales of Hoffmann (read 27/02 - my link text - 5*)

I may have gone overboard with my review - sorry - but I did really like these stories, and especially the two I waxed lyrical about :O)

message 17: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3674 comments Wow! Those stories sound wonderfully weird. And I'd never heard of this but now I want to try to get my hands on it, so thank you! I don't think you went overboard at all--great review.

message 18: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments You’re too kind :0)
Hope they’re to your liking.

message 19: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments That's funny! I've been considering the same two Hoffmann stories for my N2! I initially thought it would be either-or, but now that I've read your review I decided to read them both.
I've read his Nutcracker in December (it's a Christmas story and the original tale to the ballet), so I was prepared for some magical elements and/or hallucinations.

message 20: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments I4: Classic of More than 500 Pages - The Three Musketeers (read 16/03 - my link text - 5*)

Happy that I have finally read this :O)

message 21: by Erin (last edited Mar 19, 2018 03:14PM) (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Veronique wrote: "I4: Classic of More than 500 Pages - The Three Musketeers (read 16/03 - my link text - 5*)

Happy that I have finally read this :O)"

Congrats! I’m glad that you enjoyed it! 😊

message 22: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3674 comments I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this one too. Great review!

message 23: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments Thanks Erin and Kathleen :O)

message 24: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - Nebula Award for Best Novel (2015) Annihilation (read 04/04 - review - 4*)

This is definitely one of those weird books, surreal and metaphysical, and thus not to everyone’s taste. Not sure it is to mine in fact but I’m pleased I persevered.
(the audio actually makes it more approachable)

message 25: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4734 comments Mod
Doesn't sound like it would be my style, but then you gave it 4-stars, so maybe worth trying.

message 26: by Veronique (last edited Apr 07, 2018 05:06AM) (new)

Veronique | 896 comments Sara wrote: "Doesn't sound like it would be my style, but then you gave it 4-stars, so maybe worth trying."

It isn’t my style either :0) It is a weird book but surprisingly rich in interpretations. I don’t love it but pleased that I read it. The score is for that, not so much for enjoyment. If you’re still tempted, then go for the audio - it makes it more approachable in my opinion. Or maybe try the film first. It is on Netflix and totally different to the book *lol* but you get a similar feeling of unease.

message 27: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Are you planning to read on with the Southern Reach series? I gave Annihilation only 3 stars. It started off well than got a bit strange. I am not sure if I will read book 2. Another interesting Agatha Christie memoir is Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days. It is not a very flattering look at the time period when her first husband told her that he was leaving her for his mistress. Though the little devil on my left shoulder kept whispering "Go girl" throughout the whole book!

message 28: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments Yes, I’m going to give book 2 a chance but without any pressure.

That sounds like an interestimg memoir. I had the same reaction to you, Kathy, wishing her courage and that her life still had so much in store for her, let alone someone who would love her to the end :0) I did get A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie, to be read as and when, and of course carrying on with reading one of her novels a month (latest was Elephants Can Remember).

message 29: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments I ended up reading book 2, Authority, which was pretty good too, although still somewhat surreal. Well, Uncanny is a better word for it...

Trying to get back on schedule with all my challenges... :O) Started The Thorn Birds for O3 and so far, it is pretty good.

message 30: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4734 comments Mod
Loved The Thorn Birds. The Christie sounds interesting--I didn't know she had written an autobiography.

message 31: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3094 comments Congratulations on another one done Veronique! i love how you have your board with the pictures inserted in it. Is that something you can explain how to do, or is it to complicated? I know how to add book pictures but not in the board.

I may use The Thorn Birds for that category (if it's still there) next year. I loved the mini-series.

I hope the 21st century potential classic stays too. I wanted to get to The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay this year and if not I can put it there!

message 32: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments Thanks :0)

I use Illustrator for placing the covers on the bingo board but there are other ways - free ones - such as Google Docs Slides. Create a presentation with the bingo board as the ‘base’ then add the covers, cut to the right size, ‘over’ it (Place> Above). Hope this kind of makes sense. Have a play (and YouTube) and let me know how it goes :0)

Funny thing about Thorn Birds - I keep expecting people to roll their eyes at me but instead everyone seems to have loved it - and yes, mention the tv series :0) I was a kid when it was on but I do remember Chamberlain. Might even watch it when I finish the book.

Kavalier and Clay is a book I’ve been wanting to read for YEARS!!! Totally reading it in 2018! :0)

message 33: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments O3: Australia, Antarctica, or Oceania Classic - The Thorn Birds (read 10/07 - review - 5*)

Wow!