Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
This topic is about Killman Creek
Archive - Group Reads > Killman Creek - January & February 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chava | 2788 comments This is the thread to discuss Killman creek by Rachel Caine. Your moderator is Nicole

message 2: by Janet M (new)

Janet M (pianogal) | 7 comments From what I've noted, looks like this is the sequel to Stillhouse Lake and reviewers on amazon say that one should be read first?

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1198 comments You really should read Stillhouse Lake first or you won't really know what's going on.

Nicole Fitton | 14 comments We read Stillhouse Lake last year on this thread. I’m just about to start reading Killman. I’m sure you could probably read them as standalones although as with any sequel you probably won’t get as much out of it if you haven’t read the first.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) | 1934 comments Nicole wrote: "We read Stillhouse Lake last year on this thread. I’m just about to start reading Killman. I’m sure you could probably read them as standalones although as with any sequel you probably won’t get as..."

I read Killman Creek without having first read Stillhouse Lake and don't really feel like I missed out on anything. At some point, I am going to go back and read Stillhouse Lake, so if you have the opportunity, read it first, but if not, just enjoy Killman Creek. The past is explained. 😎

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1198 comments Even with reading Stillhouse Lake I found myself getting lost when it came to what's happened. Skillman Creek doesn't fully explain what's happened in the first book. I stand by my recommendation as I have read both books.

Chava | 2788 comments I read Stillhouse Lake recently so it was still fresh in my memory. I have to say that this book has a whole different feeling to it. I get lost at times with the different POVs. Does anyone else have that? I'm about 20% in (reading on my Kindle) and I'm not enjoying it as much as I did Stillhouse Lake so far

Nicole Fitton | 14 comments I agree Chava, I am a real fan of Stillhouse but Killman is not doing it for me yet which is a shame. I’m about 30% in so will keep you posted. How’s everyone getting on?

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 128 comments I read the first book and I think it helps to build tension abs fear. You learned how evil the monster is and you believe that he can recruit others to do his bidding

Chava | 2788 comments I am also near 30% but couldn't keep me entertained or thrilled like #1 did. I have read 3 other books in the meantime, will pick it up again soon

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 128 comments If you are the west coast you still have time to pick up Stillhouse Lake for $2.95 on audible today. I enjoyed Stillhouse, but I like Killman Creek. There is a different structure using the difference voices of the characters. The focus is more character centric than action or reveals. Rachel Caine is spending more time on the emotional side of the characters in this book.

I am in chapter 13. I think the depth of description of the characters emotional reactions to the situation they are placed in with out there complicity is a good way to stress the psychological cost of the social media bullying and the reach into fabrication of media for nefarious purposes. The intense angst the son feels over the desire to connect to his Dad might be boring to some readers. To me it was the best way to push the reader to acknowledge the motivation to *spoiler* text his Dad. This like every horror film when you just want to scream, Don't open the door." And you know they just have to open the door.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 128 comments I was intrigued by the character development in this book. It wasn't as strong on the thriller side, but that was still present. I am also intrigued by technology and the dark net which are explored in this story. I liked it more and more as I went along because I was as fascinated by the characters reaction to the reveals as anything else.