Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Black-Eyed Susans
This topic is about Black-Eyed Susans
Archive - Group Reads > Black-Eyed Susans - January & Febuary 2018

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments This is the discussion thread for Julia Heaberlin's Black-eyed Susans. Your moderator is Gary

message 2: by Marion (new)

Marion Mlodynia | 573 comments I'll have to get it from the library. I hope the book is not written in the First Person.

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart | 6 comments Marion wrote: "I'll have to get it from the library. I hope the book is not written in the First Person."

Sadly, it IS written in first person. So I guess I'm going to skip it.

Gary Guinn | 20 comments Marion wrote: "I'll have to get it from the library. I hope the book is not written in the First Person."

Hi, Marion. The novel is indeed written in first person p.o.v.

If you like, you can see my Goodreads review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

All the best.

Janet M (pianogal) | 7 comments I've started it already -- some of it (all of it?) is written in the present tense as well as 1st person POV. Guess both are off-putting for some. But I preferred this story to the other selections so will stick with it.

Gary Guinn | 20 comments I've always enjoyed first-person narrative when it is done well, and I think Heaberlin does a beautiful job with it in this novel.
As for present-tense narrative, it is a tough way to sustain a long story thread, and that's why novelists tend to avoid it. But again, when it is done well, it lends an immediacy to the narrative that can be engaging. Heaberlin did it well enough that I soon forgot she was doing it at all.

Lagniappe | 12 comments I read this book several months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. My "spoilerless" review is below.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Gary Guinn | 20 comments Lagniappe wrote: "I read this book several months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. My "spoilerless" review is below.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Thanks, Lagniappe. I enjoyed your review and liked your analogy of the reading of the novel being like a fine meal. I agree. And my only real gripe with the novel was that the resolution was a little too convenient and stretched credulity. But that said, I loved it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 05, 2018 07:18AM) (new)

Hi Everyone-I remember when this book was first released and the reserve lines were very long. I'm glad this book was choosen because there are no lines-now that the book is older. Yesterday I picked-up my copy from the library and should be able to start reading soon. I am looking forward to it.

message 10: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Guinn | 20 comments MsG wrote: "Hi Everyone-I remember when this book was first released and the reserve lines were very long. I'm glad this book was choosen because there are no lines-now that the book is older. Yesterday I pick..."

Hope you enjoy the read, MsG!

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1237 comments I just started reading it

message 12: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Guinn | 20 comments Linda wrote: "I just started reading it"

Looking forward to hearing your response, Linda.

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Fitton | 14 comments Love the sound of this book. I will read it alongside Killman Creek!

message 14: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Guinn | 20 comments Nicole wrote: "Love the sound of this book. I will read it alongside Killman Creek!"

Hi, Nicole. I haven't read Killman Creek, or the first book in that series, but it looks good.

Christina Kaye (christinakayebooks) | 3 comments Hi. I'm brand new here. I just stumbled across this thread and saw that the book of month is Black Eyed Susans! I read this last year and it's an amazing book. I'd never heard of it or the author before until I came across it on Amazon as a suggested read. Trust me, if you love this genre, this is going to be a great book for you guys to read. Enjoy!

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Sorey | 16 comments Welcome, Christine! I am about to try to read this before our March books are voted on and announced.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments I am about half way through. This book is enjoyable at a leisurely pace. The count down to execution day is an interesting timeline thread and yet the bouncing back and forth from the traumatic event nearly two decades prior slows the pace. The descriptor of the Black-eyed Susans effectively makes them greedy villains and tools for the Monster.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments A few twists at the finish were a bit of a stretch for me, but I still enjoyed the book overall.