Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Artemis
This topic is about Artemis
Archive - Group Reads > Artemis - January & February 2018

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments This is the thread to discuss Artemis by Andy Weir over January and February

message 2: by Danny (new) - added it

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 135 comments I'll read it as soon as I finished the book I'm reading. :D

message 3: by Robert (last edited Dec 31, 2017 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robert Davis (robert_davis) I will be moderating this discussion. This is a bit of a cross genre pick, mixing sci-fi and a heist story, and I am glad that it won 1st place in the voting. I know it will be a lot of fun for all of us, and I will do my best to facilitate a lively group discussion.

Tonya Mathis | 73 comments I'd already had it on hold at the library. So I'm so glad we're going to read it, as I was going to read it anyway.

message 5: by Danny (last edited Jan 05, 2018 10:08AM) (new) - added it

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 135 comments I'm not fond of the Artemis’s head of security's (Rudy Dubois) way to enforce the law. :( But the book is interesting so far.

Robert Davis (robert_davis) Danny wrote: "I'm not fond of the Artemis’s head of security's (Rudy Dubois) way to enforce the law. :( But the book is interesting so far."

Rudy is basically a one man police force for a city of 2000+ people. He has no deputies, and there is virtually no video surveillance within the city. (Which is a big plot hole if you ask me) But he is honest, a real life Dudley Do-Right, (think about the whole RCMP Mountie uniform)

message 7: by Danny (new) - added it

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 135 comments A reusable condom?! A prayer wall, to be sure that Muslims leaving on moon can pray with their head towards Mecca?!! Weir is crazy!!! ;)

Oh, and yeah Robert, the lack of video surveillance isn't realistic.
Easier for the MC to make all her small and bigger misdeeds. :(

Robert Davis (robert_davis) One of the biggest issues some readers have is with the main character, Jazz Bashira. Some might find her personality amusing and endearing, while others not so much. You either love her or hate her, so which camp are you in?

Personally, it took me a few chapters to get used to her voice, but once I accepted her, I just got swept along in her wake and had fun with it.

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 41 comments I read this as my last book to finish in 2017 it is okay....3-3.5 star range for me.

Tonya Mathis | 73 comments Just finished it. I enjoyed it.

Robert Davis (robert_davis) Tonya wrote: "Just finished it. I enjoyed it."

What did you like most Tonya?

Tonya Mathis | 73 comments Jazz wanted to be rich and she would do almost anything to make the next slug. But it wasn't all just for her to have a private bathroom and a bedroom and even a cook space. She had a very definite plan for the slugs and I was glad that she was able to fulfill it. I guess what I'm trying to say is she did the wrong things for the right reasons, good intentions and all that.

message 13: by Edy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Edy Alexander (edy25) Reading now and finding myself drawn in to the story and the descriptions about living on the moon, I find it pretty cool!!

message 14: by Danny (new) - added it

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 135 comments I finished it. You can see my review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 15: by Edy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Edy Alexander (edy25) I finished awesome book, I really enjoyed it.

Robert Davis (robert_davis) How many of you are listening to the audio book? What do you think of the narrator? Does listening increase your enjoyment of the book?

message 17: by Mona (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mona | 0 comments My husband was surprised to hear that the reader was Rosario Dawson. I've never listened to a book read by her before, & if Andy Weir does up a sequel & she is again the reader, I'll be happy. I like the life that she gave to Jazz.

Gunjan Gupta | -14 comments I reqd this book last month. I liked the concept of The first functional city on Moon but found plot to be average and the characters were not very exciting.
And yeah did not like Jazz.

Robert Davis (robert_davis) I thought this would be a fun read and a nice change of pace from what we usually read in this group. Glad to have such a positive feedback. I don't think it's fair to compare this with The Martian since they are really quite different, and should be taken on their own. Any thoughts you would like to share? Please do.

message 20: by Danielle (last edited Feb 26, 2018 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 2134 comments I've read and loved it.

Here is my short review:
What do they all have to complain about this author's scientific and technological knowledge ?! In any case, I prefer that he knows a lot than not enough and that this ignorance makes the story unrealistic. The only detail I agree with is that normally, there should be surveillance cameras here and there, at least in strategic places. That would have made the story a bit harder to write, but more interesting and believable.

Some found that this novel smells a bit too much like a script, but there are screenwriters who write good novels while hoping their stories to become movies. So what!

Anyway, as it stands, this novel kept me interested. It won't win a literary prize, but it's a good entertainment. Sometimes, we don't need more.

Robert Davis (robert_davis) I am glad that so many have enjoyed this book. I haven't heard too much negative reaction, so I'll take it that this was a success. Is anybody still reading it? We have another couple of weeks left.

Linda Wells | 1 comments Robert wrote: "I am glad that so many have enjoyed this book. I haven't heard too much negative reaction, so I'll take it that this was a success. Is anybody still reading it? We have another couple of weeks left."

I'm still reading it! I love the idea of a functional city on the moon, also. But Jazz is making me nervous! I know something bad is going to happen!