Read Scotland 2018 discussion

A Wee Craic > Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 350 comments Mod
Here you can introduce yourself to the group and tell us a bit about yourself. A few ideas: where your from, what you're reading, and/or why you love Scotland...

message 2: by Ellen (new)

I'm Ellen and I've taken over the group from Peggy who created previous Read Scotland Challenges. I live in the magical Orkney Islands at the very tip top of Scotland but I'm still terribly English. I have a growing love of Scottish Literature - so far my favourite Scottish authors are Jane Harris and James Robertson. I'm looking forward to trying out group reads and discussing books with you all!

message 3: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 12 comments Peggy here! So thrilled for Ellen to be taking over and looking forward to all her new ideas and to be continuing to read with you all again. I live in the USA in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of East Tennessee, a region full of Scottish descendants and influence.

message 4: by John (new)

John R Hi. I'm John, I live in Glasgow, Scotland - but didn't read enough Scottish books until I joined this group. My favourite Scottish authors are Iain Banks, George Mackay Brown, Michael Faber and Christopher Brookmyre. But I can see Jenni Fagan and Graeme Macrae Burnet joining that group. I'm looking forward to the group reads, and to discovering new favourites this year.

message 5: by Ellen (last edited Jan 01, 2018 03:45AM) (new)

John wrote: "Hi. I'm John, I live in Glasgow, Scotland - but didn't read enough Scottish books until I joined this group. My favourite Scottish authors are Iain Banks, George Mackay Brown, Michael Faber and Chr..."

I'm the same, John, I too seemed to completely miss Scottish books until I joined this group. This year I want to get to know George Mackay Brown, I've never read his novels, only his poetry. Which book of his would you recommend I start with?
Graeme Macrae Burnet is sneaking onto my favourite authors list, I think I would believe anything that man writes! Good luck with this year's challenge :)

message 6: by John (new)

John R Ellen, almost two shelves of my bookcases are dedicated to GMB, and between his journalism, poetry, novels, plays, non-fiction, and books for children there's plenty to choose from. My personal favourites are probably the novel Beside the Ocean of Time, his autobiography For the Islands I Sing: An Autobiography, and the book I would read first if I were you - Letters from Hamnavoe.
(I'm now going to have to add these three to the list that I want to read (or re-read in this case) in 2018!)
After you've read one, drive over and visit the pleasant and peaceful GMB memorial garden in Stromness.

message 7: by Tarissa (new)

Tarissa (inthebookcase) | 52 comments Hi! I live in Oklahoma, have never touched the Scottish shore, and (to my knowledge) there's not a drop of Scottish blood in me... but oh, I do love Scotland and its culture. I think this was brought on by my childhood pet; we had a Westie named Terra. After I found out that the breed originated in Scotland, I wanted to find out all I could about that magical place.

I've now been participating in this reading challenge for a few years, and am excited to do so again in 2018.

message 8: by Jaffareadstoo (new)

Jaffareadstoo | 13 comments Hi ,

I'm Jo. I live in North West England and can be found most days blogging about books with Jaffa my ginger cat over on my website

http://jaffareadstoo.blogspot.co.uk/

I have an eclectic taste in books from crime to romance and hope to read at least 5 books set in Scotland or by Scottish writers. I read over 200 books last year, but sadly not many of them were set in Scotland or by Scottish writers. I hope to do better this year !!

message 9: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Hi I’m Fiona and live near Dunblane in central Scotland.

Read a whole mix of books but a lot of crime - Scandic / Scottish.

Noticed Graeme Macrae Burnett mentioned. I’m currently reading The Disappearance of Adele Bedeau which I bought at the authors lecture at Stirling University.

message 10: by Melanie (last edited Jan 02, 2018 03:43AM) (new)

Melanie | 103 comments Hi,
I am Mel, live in Birmingham, but originally from Germany. I love Scotland and it's history and we spend at least one holiday a year in Scotland and have been exploring various parts for the past 13 years. I think this is my 3rd year doing the Read Scotland thing, but it may be 4? Not sure.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Hi, I'm Susan and live in the south of Scotland. Mostly I read crime stuff, both fact and fiction with some history and other bits and pieces thrown in occasionally. My second go at the Read Scotland challenge.

message 12: by Kasia (last edited Jan 02, 2018 05:40AM) (new)

Kasia (kasiaamro) Hi there. I'm Kasia, living in Edinburgh. Last year was all about medieval Britain so I decided this year to be more focused on Scotland. :) looking forward to some book recommendations (particularly life in Edinburgh and/or Scotland during 19th and 20th centuries, just up to WW2) and interesting discussions. :)

message 13: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 87 comments Hello there. I'm Ellen and I live in Florida a far cry from the weather in Scotland. I started reading Scottish mysteries with the 2nd James Oswald book and then went back to the 1st, Natural Causes. I've read the first 7 and am waiting for the 8th to be published and released. I then went to Stuart MacBride's series with Inspector Logan. currently reading his 4th in that series. I've read about 4 in the Ann Cleaves VERA series. And of course have read several by Ian Rankin's REBUS. Loved and highly recommend Resurrection Men by Rankin.

message 14: by Ellen (new)

John wrote: "Ellen, almost two shelves of my bookcases are dedicated to GMB, and between his journalism, poetry, novels, plays, non-fiction, and books for children there's plenty to choose from. My personal fav..."

Thank you John, I'll do that :)

message 15: by Ellen (new)

Tarissa wrote: "Hi! I live in Oklahoma, have never touched the Scottish shore, and (to my knowledge) there's not a drop of Scottish blood in me... but oh, I do love Scotland and its culture. I think this was broug..."

Hi Tarissa, I love Westies, they're adorable! Scotland is indeed a magical place, enjoy your reading challenge.

message 16: by Ellen (new)

Jo Barton wrote: "Hi ,

I'm Jo. I live in North West England and can be found most days blogging about books with Jaffa my ginger cat over on my website

http://jaffareadstoo.blogspot.co.uk/

I have an eclectic tast..."

Hi Jo, is that gorgeous cat in your profile pic Jaffa? Great name! I'll take a look at your blog sometime, love anything to do with books. 200 books is impressive, enjoy your Scottish challenge!

message 17: by Ellen (new)

Fiona wrote: "Hi I’m Fiona and live near Dunblane in central Scotland.

Read a whole mix of books but a lot of crime - Scandic / Scottish.

Noticed Graeme Macrae Burnett mentioned. I’m currently reading The Dis..."

Hi Fiona, I've just read the Adele Bedeau book - so clever! I think there's a second one out leading on from that... I would love to hear the author speak, was the lecture good? Enjoy your reading challenge!

message 18: by Ellen (new)

Melanie wrote: "Hi,
I am Mel, live in Birmingham, but originally from Germany. I love Scotland and it's history and we spend at least one holiday a year in Scotland and have been exploring various parts for the p..."

Scottish holidays are best in my opinion. Have you got one booked for this year?

message 19: by Ellen (new)

Susan wrote: "Hi, I'm Susan and live in the south of Scotland. Mostly I read crime stuff, both fact and fiction with some history and other bits and pieces thrown in occasionally. My second go at the Read Scotla..."

Hi Susan, I love a good Scottish murder too. There's something about Tartan Noir I just love. I'm also interested in real crime, have you heard of the Square Mile of Murder in Glasgow? Enjoy your challenge!

message 20: by Ellen (new)

Kasia wrote: "Hi there. I'm Kasia, living in Edinburgh. Last year was all about medieval Britain so I decided this year to be more focused on Scotland. :) looking forward to some book recommendations (particular..."

Hi Kasia, I'll try think up some books that fit this - I think The Other Mrs Walker is partly set in WWI if I remember correctly? I like a bit of medieval reading, secretly read about the Tudors even though that's treasonous to Scotland ;) Enjoy your reading challenge!

message 21: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "Hello there. I'm Ellen and I live in Florida a far cry from the weather in Scotland. I started reading Scottish mysteries with the 2nd James Oswald book and then went back to the 1st, Natural Cause..."

Hi Ellen, great book recommendations, I'll add a few to my list, I haven't heard of James Oswald but I'll look him up. I think I'll definitely be reading lots of Stuart McBride and Ian Rankin as I hear only good things about their books. (Ian Rankin often visits here in Orkney for his holidays but I've never bumped into him yet!) Enjoy your reading challenge in sunny Florida...

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments Ellen wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Hi,
I am Mel, live in Birmingham, but originally from Germany. I love Scotland and it's history and we spend at least one holiday a year in Scotland and have been exploring various..."

We are going to Ullapool at Easter :) This summer we are in Germany, but hope to have a long weekend in Dumfries and Galloway again at some point, we love it there.

message 23: by Ellen (new)

Melanie wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Hi,
I am Mel, live in Birmingham, but originally from Germany. I love Scotland and it's history and we spend at least one holiday a year in Scotland and have been exp..."

I've seen stunning pics of Ullapool, would love to go one day... If ever I'm off to Dumfries and Galloway I'll ask you for tips of best spots to go :)

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Ellen wrote: "Hello there. I'm Ellen and I live in Florida a far cry from the weather in Scotland. I started reading Scottish mysteries with the 2nd James Oswald book and then went back to the 1st, Natural Cause..." Hi Ellen, have you tried reading anything by Quintin Jardine? I love his Bob Skinner series set mostly in Edinburgh

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Ellen wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Hi,
I am Mel, live in Birmingham, but originally from Germany. I love Scotland and it's history and we spend at least one holiday a year in Scotland a..."

If either of you ladies (or anyone else) are heading to D&G, feel free to give me a shout, I live in Dumfries.

message 26: by Ellen (new)

Susan wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Hello there. I'm Ellen and I live in Florida a far cry from the weather in Scotland. I started reading Scottish mysteries with the 2nd James Oswald book and then went back to the 1st,..."

No, I'll go look him up, always love to try new books :) And I'll remember your kind offer if I'm ever in D&G thoug I must admit I leave my little island very rarely!

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen | 14 comments Hi, I'm Karen and live in a wee village just outside Falkirk, Central Scotland. I started reading books based in Scotland last year and discovered that there was such a thing as tartan noir!
I've been reading the Ann Cleeves Shetland Island series, will soon finish it and then will move on to the Lewis trilogy by Peter May after that.

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments Susan wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Hi,
I am Mel, live in Birmingham, but originally from Germany. I love Scotland and it's history and we spend at least one holiday a year..."

Oh how lovely Susan, you lucky girl. We were staying near Kirkudbright last summer, it was glorious.

message 29: by Ellen (new)

Karen wrote: "Hi, I'm Karen and live in a wee village just outside Falkirk, Central Scotland. I started reading books based in Scotland last year and discovered that there was such a thing as tartan noir!
I've b..."

Hi Karen, I love the phrase Tartan Noir! It makes me smile, I'm not sure I take it as seriously as I should ;) I've only just read the first of the Shetland series and can't wait to read more, really loved it. Enjoy your reading challenge...

message 30: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 87 comments Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Hello there. I'm Ellen and I live in Florida a far cry from the weather in Scotland. I started reading Scottish mysteries with the 2nd James Oswald book and then went back to the 1st,..."
btw...James Oswald and Stuart MacBride live near each other and are friends. They have interchanged characters from each others books in their story's.

message 31: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Hello there. I'm Ellen and I live in Florida a far cry from the weather in Scotland. I started reading Scottish mysteries with the 2nd James Oswald book and then went ba..."

Well that's a bit of trivia! How interesting :)

message 32: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 12 comments Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Hello there. I'm Ellen and I live in Florida a far cry from the weather in Scotland. I started reading Scottish mysteries with the 2nd James Oswald book an..."

Ellen, those coos you have in the challenge picture are James Oswald’s coos! I got to visit him at his farm and he took me out to the field to meet the coos! Also got to meet his sheep. He’s a sweet man.

message 33: by Ellen (new)

Peggy wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Hello there. I'm Ellen and I live in Florida a far cry from the weather in Scotland. I started reading Scottish mysteries with the 2nd James ..."

Ah, he sounds a lovely man, I couldn't resist using your coo pi, Peggy :) We've been offered highland coos, they're gorgeous, but we haven't felt up to keeping any yet. We've got rare breed Orkney sheep (North Ronaldsays) and would love some Shetlands, would be great to meet him and talk books and animals!

message 34: by Lorna (new)

Lorna (rogue_librarian) | 27 comments I'm Lorna. I'm American but have lived overseas for the past seven years. Currently I'm the librarian at an international school in Cairo, Egypt. This is my third time with the Read Scotland challenge. I've discovered some great books and authors through this group, and I also love to chat with other readers about my favorite place in the world. I am excited to be returning for another visit to the Isle of Lewis this summer.

message 35: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette (amomwithabook) Hi! I'm Jeanette from SE Tennessee. I've never been to Scotland but I have been in love with it since first reading Outlander in my teenage years. I tend to read more crime, cozy and historical romance set in Scotland than literary or nonfiction. I was a member of the group last year and got quite a few great recommendations but didn't participate. Bad me! This year I hope to focus more and make sure I read some of these great books. I even have a bookshelf on my goodread named Scotland to keep track of recommendations. Also.. I found this group through Mel's youtube channel. ;)

message 36: by ReadingScotland (new)

ReadingScotland (heatherlefebvre) Hi Everyone, I'm Heather LeFebvre and currently live in Indianapolis, Indiana but spent four years living in Scotland in the early 2000's. My great-grandmother comes from Dunblane and Scotland was a land we heard about from birth, particularly each year when my mom made great-grandma's shortbread at Christmas. This is my third year to participate in this challenge. I joined when I started my blog "Reading Scotland." I suppose reading Scottish books helps me not feel so far away from Scotland and it's a way to research what books are out there in case I should like to write one of my own someday.

message 37: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments ReadingScotland wrote: "Hi Everyone, I'm Heather LeFebvre and currently live in Indianapolis, Indiana but spent four years living in Scotland in the early 2000's. My great-grandmother comes from Dunblane and Scotland was ..."
I think I follow you on instagram :) If that's you, then I enjoy your pictures of your reads a lot.

message 38: by Milena (new)

Milena Stoyanova | 8 comments Hi everyone, I am Milena, I live in Scandinavia,with a Bulgarian heart,but my soul is out there in Scotland. :)
My love from Scotland began with ...Queen, yes- from the Highlander.The desire to read and learn more about Scotland became bigger and bigger throughout the years while I was growing, but not until I visited the land for the first time in 2012.
I never felt anything like that before,that sense of belonging,a sense of a faint memory of something experienced somewhere back in time,an explosion of emotions- sadness, nostalgic in some way, utter happiness...
I am so interested and infond of the Scottish castles and fortifications,landskape, history, mithology that I wish to travel to Scotland every year and experience and explore more.
There is a certain place for any of us, a place where we simply connect,without knowing why, a place that takes hold of our hearts and thoughts and that endless longing,always to return..that what Scotland is for me!

message 39: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments Milena wrote: "Hi everyone, I am Milena, I live in Scandinavia,with a Bulgarian heart,but my soul is out there in Scotland. :)
My love from Scotland began with ...Queen, yes- from the Highlander.The desire to rea..."

Hi Milena and welcome,

This is my 4th year taking part in this group and it's my favourite group on goodreads. I am sure you will find loads of great recommendation. My soul is in Scotland too, so I can relate to that.

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (_elizabethmartin) | 3 comments Hi, I'm Elizabeth and I live on the West Coast of Scotland. I'm trying to read more Scottish fiction but particularly contemporary fiction. I'm not a huge fan of crime fiction and there's only so many Outlander esq books a gal can take! I'd love to read fiction written by a Scottish author set in Scotland and I hope this group will help me find it!

message 41: by Ellen (new)

Loving all these introductions, such interesting folk from a wide variety of places! It's fascinating to read all the links to Scotland - I agree, it's a magical place. Happy reading to you all :)

message 42: by Ellen (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Hi, I'm Elizabeth and I live on the West Coast of Scotland. I'm trying to read more Scottish fiction but particularly contemporary fiction. I'm not a huge fan of crime fiction and there's only so m..."

I'd suggest one of my favourites James Robertson, he fits your description and I love his quirky Scottish style. Gillespie and I is one of my best books of all time and I went all stupid and giddy when I met the author Jane Harris recently!
I've just posted something similar in the Book Recommendation section so keep an eye on recommendations there...

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Hi, I'm Elizabeth and I live on the West Coast of Scotland. I'm trying to read more Scottish fiction but particularly contemporary fiction. I'm not a huge fan of crime fiction and there's only so m..."

I am sure you will find many great books here, both by Scottish authors and also just set in Scotland :)

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (_elizabethmartin) | 3 comments Ellen wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Hi, I'm Elizabeth and I live on the West Coast of Scotland. I'm trying to read more Scottish fiction but particularly contemporary fiction. I'm not a huge fan of crime fiction and..."

Oh my gosh, both of those authors sound perfect. I can't wait to check out some of their work. Thanks so much for your recommendations!

message 45: by Elliot (new)

Elliot Hi,
My name is Elliot, and I'm from the USA. I'm not exactly sure what sparked my interest in Scotland, as I've never been there, but I love history and Scotland has plenty of it! I've already read some books about Scotland, and plan to read plenty more!

Probably my favorite book so far has been Life of a Regiment The History of the Gordon Highlanders from Its Formation in 1794 to 1816. Vol I by Greenhill Gardyne , a wonderfully detailed volume about the Gordon Highlanders.

message 46: by Ellen (new)

Elliot wrote: "Hi,
My name is Elliot, and I'm from the USA. I'm not exactly sure what sparked my interest in Scotland, as I've never been there, but I love history and Scotland has plenty of it! I've already rea..."

Hi Elliot, welcome to the group. You don’t need a reason to love Scotland, it’s a magical place with some great literature. I love the look of that book, I love old and vintage books. Let us know what you’re reading next, it’s not too late to create your own thread :)

message 47: by Elliot (new)

Elliot Thanks! And I actually did make a thread yesterday! I signed up for the William Wallace level, and am about a third of the way to meeting that goal.

message 48: by Ellen (last edited May 08, 2018 01:32PM) (new)

Elliot wrote: "Thanks! And I actually did make a thread yesterday! I signed up for the William Wallace level, and am about a third of the way to meeting that goal."

Excellent - good luck with the rest of your challenge!

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy J | 2 comments Hello! My name is Amy, and I live in the US, but wish I lived in Scotland. ;)
My ancestors are from the highlands/western Scotland, and I visited Scotland for the first time in 2017. I fell in love with Scotland and felt such a connection with the highlands in particular, I can't get enough of reading Scottish authors, books set in Scotland, etc. I appreciate you all and look forward to discussing some fantastic Scottish reads!

message 50: by Tarissa (new)

Tarissa (inthebookcase) | 52 comments Amy wrote: "Hello! My name is Amy, and I live in the US, but wish I lived in Scotland. ;)
My ancestors are from the highlands/western Scotland, and I visited Scotland for the first time in 2017. I fell in love..."

Glad you're here, Amy! Can't wait to see what's on your reading list. :)

« previous 1