Catholic Readers discussion

We should be more active.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (ben21) | 4 comments We should be more active if we want to attract more people to the group. Not laying any blame, I'm just as guilty on being lax on participating.

message 2: by Crissy (new)

Crissy (wvcrissy) | 6 comments I apologize. I haven't really participated in any of the groups I have joined. 2017 was a bad year for me. Though, I have taken on the job in cataloging, organizing, and attracting people to our Parish Library. Any suggestions?

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary | 3 comments I can tell you this is a huge undertaking. My friend and I took this on in our parish - we asked for and rec'd donated books from parishioners and a local Catholic book/gift store going out of business donated $7,000 worth of books to us. We figured out what categories we wanted, based on the books we had, separated the books out under each section and alphabetized by author under each section. My friend did a directory and posted it on our parish website; there's also a hard copy in the library. Still trying to figure out how to promote. We advertise it on the parish website, in the Sunday bulletin - it's located in our church basement which also serves as our social area after Masses on Sunday - so it's open then - we have it as "self-serve" as we don't have the time to man it or organize others manning it. I would highly suggest you get help with this as I can't begin to tell you the hours of work that has gone into this. You are to be commended for taking it on. Ours is slowly catching on.

message 4: by Crissy (new)

Crissy (wvcrissy) | 6 comments WOW! Yeah, right now the library is not that huge. Though I have already passed the 200 book mark in documenting. Currently the procedure for me is to write down each title/authour/copyright of the books on the shelves. Then transfer it to an excel list. The problem is the majority of these books are old. Some are like late 1800s/early 1900s. So figuring out what we have needs to be done first. The books were just brought out of storage and slapped on the shelves. The Library was something we had in the way past, now the new priest wants to reset up. Definitely need to know what we have and update the books !

message 5: by Clinton (new)

Clinton Sites | 2 comments You might look into a free application called "Tiny Cat" that is a smaller version of "LibraryThing" catalog. I personally don't use it but the URL is "www.l librarycat.org".
There is a great description of the capabilities and the cost associated with running the application (based on the number of books).
It might help keep your library in shape.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine Benjamin wrote: "We should be more active if we want to attract more people to the group. Not laying any blame, I'm just as guilty on being lax on participating."

Agree.