Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) Beautiful Disaster question

Is there any New Adult Books out there that have a strong female lead?
Apryl Apryl Dec 31, 2017 02:24AM
I read Beautiful Disaster years ago and it's my favourite New Adult novel, i've just never been able to find anything else equal to the characters.
I've read an unhealthy amount of YA/NA books and I really do love the genre, it's my guilty pleasure because I love the somewhat unrealistic passionate attraction the characters go through, the angsty trials and tribulations and the fact that it's obvious that they love each other from the very beginning.

the problem is i'm starting to get a bit sick of reading about virginal female leads with frail, sensitive personalities and zero self-esteem. Where are the Buffy the Vampire Slayers of the world? The strong, independent women who can kick ass (physically or metaphorically thank you very much) and still have that angsty, true love?

I understand the point behind these books, it's why I read the;. Normal girls get to fantasize that maybe the drop dead gorgeous men of the world aren't self-obsessed douche bags and maybe, just maybe they will fall for us and be the perfect man - yeah don't take that away from us ha.
but actually I think there's more harm than good in some aspects of the character building; there's no personality, no individualism to these women, they can't seem to walk without the Alpha male helping her step, they don't believe in violence and yet the male lead is ALWAYS a boxer or a UFC fighter or something dangerous, they blush the minute the word sex is mentioned and yet they're 18+ years old and probably shouldn't be read by girls any younger. Come on, why do we need to be innocent, untouched flowers? I'm not looking for Fifty Shades of Grey, Anastasia was a wet dishcloth too.

Maybe, at 26 years old I need to steer away from the New Adult genre, maybe it's too young for me now, I just find general 'Romance' doesn't cut the mustard, Fifty Shades of Grey is written terribly and Its replicas don't interest me, it's not the sex i'm looking for .

I'd love to know if anyone thinks the same and has any recommendations? Am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

Thank you! I will give those ago!

Hi there! I too am an avid fan of contemporary - especially NA and YA - and over my many years of reading, I've accumalated a favourites list for those two genres!

I highly recommend the book It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover if you are looking for a novel with a kickass female protagonist!

When We Collided by Emery Lord is also a fantastic example of a YA novel with a strong female lead.

PS: If you're looking for a really good contemporary YA/NA series, I highly recommend the Elements series by Brittainy C. Cherry. Especially The Silent Waters!