World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Could UFOs be of an extraterrestrial nature?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Dec 30, 2017 11:40PM) (new)

Alex (asato) The US Pentagon thought it was possible enough to devote some money to UFO investigation.

Pentagon ran secret multi-million dollar UFO programme http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-ca...

Maybe these two are believers now.

2 Navy Airmen and an Object That ‘Accelerated Like Nothing I’ve Ever Seen’ - The New York Times https://apple.news/A5_8DOmPBQdCFIFaAO...

Thoughts?

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9811 comments UFOs are a problem because there are a lot of things that will be unidentified, and on top of that, there are a number of frauds out there, but the navy pilots' tale above must be taken more seriously. But who knows what it was?

I have never seen one, but two of my friends have. One saw "fearsome accelerations" - the problem here is what you see at night is really a projection, and unless you know the distance, you can't really tell. The other was an engineer and an amateur pilot, and what he saw he said could not explicably turn like that if it were an aircraft. The real puzzle is, both were seen at night, so why were they lit up? What wee need is a spectrum of the light, because that would give the source of it, but the average observer does not carry around a suitable spectrometer. How careless!

For what it is worth, in my SF novel Ranh, I suggested that UFOs were sometimes somewhat juvenile aliens playing pranks and teasing us, and also trying to get us to take notice of them (which in this case would break a treaty and give the aliens the opportunity to invade Earth.)

message 3: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5532 comments I was watching the sky one night and saw a light I thought was a plane moving north. This light suddenly made a perpendicular move east at great speed and disappeared. No body probes involved :-), but I'll never forget it. I believe these pilots.

message 4: by Nik (last edited Jan 01, 2018 08:19AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13834 comments Until identified, these flying objects can be anything. Who knows maybe aliens are much closer than we think, exploring our exoplanet for their own needs. We might be way past the first contact.. Even on GR some dudes look a little extraterrestrial at times -:)

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9811 comments Hmmm - Nik sure has a skill at generating suspicion. Now, would the alien here please indicate?

message 6: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5532 comments Its Nik. Nik's the extraterrestrial. Light the torches :-)

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13834 comments My conspiratorial disguise is finally blown. Run feebly humanoids -:)

message 8: by Esther (last edited Jan 03, 2018 08:27AM) (new)

Esther Tubbs | 36 comments Lol!!

Have any of you guys heard of the 'Little Green Men' incident that happened back in the 50's in Kelly Kentucky? If so, what do you think of that?

message 9: by Esther (new)

Esther Tubbs | 36 comments I believe so. It was on a farm in the middle of nowhere. I don't remember exactly what happened. I need to go back and re-read the story.

message 10: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Nik wrote: "My conspiratorial disguise is finally blown. Run feebly humanoids -:)"

Run feebly...

So you're not a particularly quick alien.

message 11: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan What they saw was a black budget DARPA/USAF project for a hypersonic drone (pilotless) hence able to pull humongous g-forces.

Men in dark suits piloting black helicopters will visit your house in the near future...

message 12: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Scout wrote: "Its Nik. Nik's the extraterrestrial. Light the torches :-)"

We need pitchforks too.

Does Nik live in a castle up on a hill? Is there a fair maiden at risk by any chance? Does he have a disfigured henchman?

One must know the signs before we progress.

message 13: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13834 comments Graeme wrote: "Nik wrote: "My conspiratorial disguise is finally blown. Run feebly humanoids -:)"

Run feebly...

So you're not a particularly quick alien."

-:)

message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9811 comments Any fair maiden can be considered at risk, judging by his novels. Fortunately, he may have too much vodka, hence the "run feebly".

message 15: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13834 comments Graeme wrote: "Scout wrote: "Its Nik. Nik's the extraterrestrial. Light the torches :-)"

We need pitchforks too.

Does Nik live in a castle up on a hill? Is there a fair maiden at risk by any chance? Does he have a disfigured henchman?

One must know the signs before we progress...."

Got many surprises up the sleeve. And a handsome loot - a pubful of intergalactic alcoholic beverages

message 16: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13834 comments I've been nominated for the Feminist of the year, Ian. Came 2nd after DJ Trump though

message 17: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Ian wrote: "Any fair maiden can be considered at risk, judging by his novels. Fortunately, he may have too much vodka, hence the "run feebly"."

LOL!

message 18: by Esther (new)

Esther Tubbs | 36 comments Nik wrote: "I've been nominated for the Feminist of the year, Ian. Came 2nd after DJ Trump though"

Are you saying that the US President is an alien as well?!?!

message 19: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13834 comments Esther wrote: "Nik wrote: "I've been nominated for the Feminist of the year, Ian. Came 2nd after DJ Trump though"

Are you saying that the US President is an alien as well?!?!"

Just an impostor using the same surname, initials and Russian hackers to climb the Martian hit parade and leave behind the spouse of a famous saxophonist

message 20: by Esther (new)

Esther Tubbs | 36 comments Lol!! :)

message 21: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5532 comments Ian wrote: "Any fair maiden can be considered at risk, judging by his novels. Fortunately, he may have too much vodka, hence the "run feebly"."

I'm getting some great mental pictures ;-)