New Adult Book Club discussion

Author Q+A's > Q&A with Penelope Douglas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by LeAnn (last edited Dec 30, 2017 09:30PM) (new)

LeAnn (leannelizabeth)

Happy New Year, NABC! I hope 2018 is amazing for you all! This week, we have the amazing Penelope Douglas starting off 2018 right, with a super special Q&A! This Q&A, Penelope can answer as herself, OR any of her characters. (So keep in mind you can ask them questions as well!) Penelope is the author of Bully, Punk 57, Misconduct, Corrupt, Hideaway, and many others. Please leave her (and your favorite characters) your questions below! <3

Reading with 2 book lovers | 78 comments Who is your nost favourite charater of yours an
d why?

message 3: by Viktória (new)

Viktória Tóth (vikcs) | 17 comments You write about characters in a pretty wide age range, from teenagers to late 20s. Which age do you find easier to write?

message 4: by Beatrice (last edited Dec 31, 2017 03:59AM) (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 120 comments Hi Ms. Penelope! I really enjoy your books and I'm looking forward on your upcoming book Kill Switch
My questions are:
- When is the release date of Kill Switch? I'm looking forward for Damon's story and can you describe in 3 words what's to look forward in Kill Switch :)
- Are you going to write the next generation of characters from Fall Away series?

Have a wonderful new year! 😊🎉

message 5: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 532 comments Mod
I loved your Fall Away series and you're one of my favorite authors! I read on your fb page that you're planning on working on a Fall Away spin off and I was wondering if you could tell me something more about it! Who are the characters the series is gonna focus on?

message 6: by amanda (new)

amanda s. (mndshl) | 11 comments Punk 57 touched me somehow more than Fall Away series. Will you soon write more standalone like Punk 57, with the style or classic love-hate relationship, like you always put in your stories? Because I want more, Miss Pen!

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Lilley (lilleyloohlah) | 130 comments Hi Penelope. Love your writing. Any chance you’ll be attending a UK signing in the future? Pam x

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenkoo) | 47 comments Hi Penelope, do you plot every chapter for each book or the first few then go with the inspiration?

message 9: by Steffi (new)

Steffi De Ceuster  ♥ | 71 comments To Rika : What's your most favorite thing/moment with Michael?

To Pen : Will you ever come to a signing that's very close to Belgium?

Also Happy New Year!! Don't forget to relax in the New Year! Xoxo

message 10: by S.Shade (new)

S.Shade | 170 comments Hello, love your work! And am actually currently reading Rival, cannot put it down! I want to know what was one of your favorite scenes to write or favorite character to write about? :)

message 11: by Let Your Heart Rule Your Read Book Blog (last edited Dec 31, 2017 05:56AM) (new)

Let Your Heart Rule Your Read Book Blog | 5 comments Hi Penelope! In Hungary, only Fall Away series has been released, but we love it soo much. ^^ <3

You have a lot of fans in Hungary. What's your message to Hungarian readers?

And my second question is: what's your opinion about Bully? Because this is your book's title, and I would like to know your point of view.

We wish you a Happy New Year, and good luck for your next book. <3

message 12: by Betül (new)

Betül (gemiinii) | 135 comments Hi Penelope!

Which scenes are the hardest and which ones are the easiest to write?

message 13: by Grey (new)

Grey | 40 comments Just because all of these are such great questions, I can be free to be a bit silly... Coke or Pepsi? Toilet paper.... over or under? Socks... in bed- yay or nay? Favorite movie theater snack?

Thank you for indulging my goofiness and thank you so much for all of your hard work!

message 14: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka | 101 comments Hi Penelope! I'm eagerly waiting for the kids' books to come out, and in the meantime I'm enjoying reading the Devil's Night series - loving Will!
Who can we expect to be the wildest - will it be Hawke, Kade, Hunter... or perhaps Dylan? ;)
And a question for Will - do you think love is in the cards for you, being that Michael and Kai seemingly managed to find their happily-ever-afters with Rika and Banks? Or are you resigned - or happy - to live the life like it's one big party?

message 15: by Alex in Spades (new)

Alex in Spades | 7 comments Hi Penelope! If you had to write a present time/contemporary Disney Princess retelling who would you chose and why? :)

Best wishes, and many amazing new ideas in the New Year!

message 16: by Court (new)

Court | 22 comments I love all your characters. If you had to choose one to hang out with for the day, who would it be?

message 17: by Story (new)

Story Black (storysfriends) | 6 comments Which, if any, of your characters do you most identify with? Did you write your own personality into true character? Do you get inspiration from characters from people you know or meet? Do you dream up all of their back stories before you ever put them on paper?

message 18: by Nightmarish-Moon (new)

Nightmarish-Moon | 12 comments Hi Penelope! I've got one question that I've been asking myself since I read Punk 57 (and I guess Misha can answer too ^^) :
What does "57" stands for ? (I've always thought that it was the number of letters which were left unanswered but I'm not sure and it keeps bothering me ahah...)
Have a nice New Year's Eve Celebration !

message 19: by Carolina (new)

Carolina León (cariiitolm) | 94 comments Are you interesting in writing trilogies this new 2018 or just keep writing series? I'm super curious to know.

message 20: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Seymour (seymour2000) | 48 comments Which couple was your favorite to write about?

Sophie's Reading Corner  (sophiesreadingcorner) | 62 comments Hello Penelope! I'm curious what inspired you of the events that took place with the Horseman. Also, about the pen pals in Punk57, did you also have a pen pal? :)

message 22: by book bruin (new)

book bruin (bookbruin) What are your favorite types of books to read? Any recent favorites?

message 23: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Audet | 33 comments Would Misha and Ryen have still met if other events never happened?

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 26 comments Do you always know how your story will end before you start writing them... or do you have a vague idea that forms into a solid ending the more you write?

message 25: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Martin | 2 comments Hi Penelope, I love your books and I'm very excited for the next generation of the Fall Away series.

Who is your favorite from the next generation kids?

message 26: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (exbuffalo2001) | 198 comments What is your "must-have" (beside music) when your in writing mode?

message 27: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes | 257 comments Hi Penelope! You've got some pretty awesome book covers, I'm wondering what the process for getting those is like? Do you make suggestions or just let a cover designer run with their ideas?

message 28: by Marisela (new)

Marisela M. Chavez | 26 comments Hi Penelope! I just love your work. What was your favorite thing to write about Erika??

message 29: by Christa (new)

Christa Goettl | 42 comments Who is your favorite out of Jarrod, Madoc, and Jax?

message 30: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Ortiz | 733 comments Happy New Years!
What are you working on now?

message 31: by Putri (new)

Putri R (akiediva) do u have an all time fav book & author? i would love to know! and i love you and your bookkksssss pls keep writing queen i will support you!

Z ~ The Diary of Book Enthusiasts (thediaryofbookenthusiasts) | 1 comments Which book was the hardest to write? The character who gave you the most trouble?

message 33: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (blkel14) | 78 comments Does music play a role in your writing process? Do you create playlists for each book you write?

message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Manuel (stephanieman1234) | 21 comments I loved Misconduct. Are you planning to write any more books in that world?

message 35: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Cannavina | 57 comments Which character was your favorite to write about?

message 36: by Yi Shan (new)

Yi Shan (bebayishan) | 5 comments Looking at the future, what do you hope to write one day?

message 37: by Bookish Affair (new)

Bookish Affair (bookish_affair) | 11 comments Hey Penelope!
Misconduct was my first taboo (parent/teacher) romance ♡ so do you plan on giving a little glimpse of the Marek Family, like Would we get a teaser of their life after the grand reunion? Also will Christian get a book of his own?

message 38: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 19 comments Hi Penelope :) Who is your favorite from the Horseman?

message 39: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Douglas | 314 comments Sarah wrote: "Who is your nost favourite charater of yours an
d why?"

Hey, Sarah!
My favorite female character is Ryen, because she's the most real I've written. She's flawed and insecure, but she fakes it for the world and hides a lot. My favorite male character will probably be Damon. I love the crazy ones. They're the most fun to write.

Thanks for the question!

message 40: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Douglas | 314 comments Viktória wrote: "You write about characters in a pretty wide age range, from teenagers to late 20s. Which age do you find easier to write?"

Hey! My favorite age range to write are the younger ones. Young love is easier for me and more fun, because kids are irrational and everything is the end of the world. It's fun to tap into that intensity.

I think a lot of people wish they could go back to that time and relive their firsts, but in books we can have the story end in our favor this time. It's nice to be able to relive that.

Thank you!

message 41: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Douglas | 314 comments Beatrice wrote: "Hi Ms. Penelope! I really enjoy your books and I'm looking forward on your upcoming book Kill Switch
My questions are:
- When is the release date of Kill Switch? I'm looking forward for Damon's st..."

Hey, Beatrice!
There is no date for Kill Switch's release. When I know I will let everyone else, but I wouldn't expect it before next summer. Three words to describe the book are....hmmm, lockdown, secluded, and men, I guess?

And yes, I will be writing the Fall Away spin-off stories. Again, I'm not calling release dates until books are just about done, but I will never write more than 2-3 books a year and even that's optimistic. Lol. I'm just not capable of working that fast, so brace yourself for a wait. I doubt I'll even begin writing those this year. I have other books on the schedule.

Thanks for the questions!

message 42: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Douglas | 314 comments Chiara wrote: "I loved your Fall Away series and you're one of my favorite authors! I read on your fb page that you're planning on working on a Fall Away spin off and I was wondering if you could tell me somethin..."

Thanks, Chiara!!

Yes, I will eventually get to those and it will be 6 books focusing on the kids of the original characters. The stories will take place while some of the characters are teens and on into their early twenties.

Thanks for the question!

message 43: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Douglas | 314 comments Amanda wrote: "Punk 57 touched me somehow more than Fall Away series. Will you soon write more standalone like Punk 57, with the style or classic love-hate relationship, like you always put in your stories? Becau..."

Hey, Amanda!

I definitely have a couple stand alones on the schedule, so hopefully you like the sound of them when announced. One might have a similar vibe to Punk 57, but I'm definitely starting to branch out and explore other kinds of stories.

Stay tuned!!

message 44: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Douglas | 314 comments Pamela wrote: "Hi Penelope. Love your writing. Any chance you’ll be attending a UK signing in the future? Pam x"

Hi, Pamela!

I would love to!! I don't have anything on the schedule right now, though. International travel can be hard on my family who have to readjust their schedules when I'm not home, so I've been trying to ease up. My website lists my signings, so please check there periodically for updates.

Thanks for the question!

message 45: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Douglas | 314 comments Karen wrote: "Hi Penelope, do you plot every chapter for each book or the first few then go with the inspiration?"

Hey!

Oh, no. I plot everything. I mean the story itself comes from inspiration, but I don't like not having a map. I would hate the process if I didn't have my outlines and notes. I'm the type who makes to-do lists on paper just to have the satisfaction of crossing off what I'd finished. lol

Thanks for the question!

message 46: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Douglas | 314 comments Steffi wrote: "To Rika : What's your most favorite thing/moment with Michael?

To Pen : Will you ever come to a signing that's very close to Belgium?

Also Happy New Year!! Don't forget to relax in the New Year!..."

Hi!

Rika: Honestly, I love it when I make him mad. He's especially "vigorous". I recently made him angry. You'll hear about it soon enough, I'm sure.

And I would absolutely love coming to Europe again, but I don't have any plans on my schedule yet. As I mentioned in another comment, I have a child, and it's hard on my family to be gone. Re-arranging schedules and such. Hopefully, eventually!

message 47: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Douglas | 314 comments S.Shade wrote: "Hello, love your work! And am actually currently reading Rival, cannot put it down! I want to know what was one of your favorite scenes to write or favorite character to write about? :)"

Hi, there!

I actually don't think I have a favorite scene. There are so many I love. But the books I'm most proud of are Corrupt, Punk 57, and Falling Away. In that order. They have the most scenes that I love to go back and reread.

Thanks for the question!

message 48: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Douglas | 314 comments Everglow wrote: "Hi Penelope! In Hungary, only Fall Away series has been released, but we love it soo much. ^^ <3

You have a lot of fans in Hungary. What's your message to Hungarian readers?

And my second quest..."

Hey, there!

Thank you so much to all the readers over in Hungary. I get so many emails full of support from there, and I'm so grateful people love the books. Hopefully, we'll eventually have all of them there.

And my opinion of Bully, my book, or bullies in general? If you mean my book, of course I love it. It will always have a special place in my heart. It was my first. It was a labor of love and it was the only book where I truly wrote with freedom, before I knew how I would be critiqued and felt fear of what people would say.

That being said, though, I don't think it's one of my best books. I made rookie mistakes, and there's one line in particular I wish I could go back and delete from peoples' memories lol, but I understand it was many readers' first experience with my work and it's special to them.

So I'm glad I started, and I'm glad Bully did as well as it did. It gave me confidence to continue. But I'm also glad when people love my later work more, because it means I'm getting better, which is what I want.

message 49: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Douglas | 314 comments Betul wrote: "Hi Penelope!

Which scenes are the hardest and which ones are the easiest to write?"

Hey!

The easiest ones to write are the intense scenes. Chase scenes. Fight scenes. Race scenes. Crying and sobbing. Those are fun, and I love tapping into raw emotion, so it makes them easier for me to sit down and write. The hardest scenes are the intimacy scenes and side character scenes. They're just mundane to write, and I will often skip them and write them when the book is done and I have no choice. lol

Thanks for the question!

message 50: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Douglas | 314 comments Grey wrote: "Just because all of these are such great questions, I can be free to be a bit silly... Coke or Pepsi? Toilet paper.... over or under? Socks... in bed- yay or nay? Favorite movie theater snack?

Tha..."

Hey, you!!

Coke, of course. Do you know me?!?! Toilet paper needs to be over, no socks in bed, and I always have to have popcorn at the theater, but I also love gummie bears or Milk Duds.

Thank you!!

« previous 1 3