2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > ReGina's Going for 75 in '18!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ReGina (new)

ReGina (regifabulous) | 268 comments I think this is a good goal for the year and will keep me reading at a good pace. Let's do this!!

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Nice goal ReGina! Wishing you the best of luck with it & a very happy reading/new year!!

message 3: by ReGina (new)

ReGina (regifabulous) | 268 comments Thanks Susy!!

message 4: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments Wishing you the best of luck with your goal this year.

message 5: by ReGina (new)

ReGina (regifabulous) | 268 comments Thanks Blagica!!

message 6: by ReGina (new)

ReGina (regifabulous) | 268 comments So, I've read seven books so far this year: I Almost Forgot About You, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race, The Awkward Thoughts of W. Kamau Bell: Tales of a 6' 4", African American, Heterosexual, Cisgender, Left-Leaning, Asthmatic, Black and Proud Blerd, Mama's Boy, Dad, and Stand-Up Comedian, Alas, Babylon, and One of Us Is Lying, Inferior: How Science Got Women Wrong—and the New Research That's Rewriting the Story.

I've enjoyed the non-fiction books quite a bit. I learned so much about educated black women during the 1940s and 1950s, and I've never thought about that in context before. The book was also so different from the movie that it was like a completely different experience. Inferior also challenged me to think about different things such as how medicine is really geared and designed around men with little account for the differences between men and women as well as how many cultural practices have been based on a patriarchal design to control. Great reads.

My favorite in the fiction has been The Seven Husbands. A very enjoyable read that kept me engaged until the end. I also enjoyed One of Us Is Lying - a great YA read for older teens or adults who are into YA. Lots of great topics explored in this book under the cloak of a whodunnit.

Off to a great reading start this year - I see some more fascinating books in my future!!

message 7: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Nice!! Here's to a great February as well!

message 8: by ReGina (new)

ReGina (regifabulous) | 268 comments Thanks Susy!

message 9: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments You are doing great! Hoping March is a smashing success for you.

message 10: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads. Do you have a stand out book so far this year?

message 11: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments You are doing great! I hope May is a fantastic month filled with books and sunshine!