Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group. discussion

Books Under Discussion > Mercy Read Aong **Spoilers Included** Starts on February 1st, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachael (last edited Feb 16, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) | 95 comments Mod
Police chief of a small Massachusetts town, Cameron McDonald makes the toughest arrest of his life when his own cousin Jamie comes to him and confesses outright that he has killed his terminally ill wife out of mercy.

Now, a heated murder trial plunges the town into upheaval, and drives a wedge into a contented marriage: Cameron, aiding the prosecution in their case against Jamie, is suddenly at odds with his devoted wife, Allie -- seduced by the idea of a man so in love with his wife that he'd grant all her wishes, even her wish to end her life. And when an inexplicable attraction leads to a shocking betrayal, Allie faces the hardest questions of the heart: when does love cross the line of moral obligation? And what does it mean to truly love another?

Praised for her "personal, detail-rich style" (Glamour), Jodi Picoult infuses this page-turning novel with heart, warmth, and startling candor, taking readers on an unforgettable emotional journey.

February 12-17 pg 0- pg 120 Beginning of Chapter 7 Rachael
February 18-24 pg 121- 212 Beginning of Chapter 12 Lorri
February 24- March 3 pg 213- 322 Beginning of Chapter 18 Rich
March 4-10 pg 322- 400 End of the Book

message 2: by Lorri (new)

Lorri Williams | 14 comments Can't wait.

How many readers do we have and where are we from?

Clayton,NC

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 21 comments This is in my top 3 favourite JP books!

message 4: by Anjee (new)

Anjee | 1 comments It’s been a long time since I’ve read this, but count me in.

Rosenberg, Texas

message 5: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 5 comments Can't wait!

I'm Hayley from Scotland

message 6: by April (new)

April Snow I’m in. I’m from Florida. How does this work?

message 7: by Rachael (new)

Welcome all!

I have updated the post to include the page numbers. We are going to be reading around 100 pages a week. Feel free to read ahead, but try not to spoil for other people.

I will be the discussion leader for the first week and Lorri has volunteered for the 2nd week. The discussion leader will post 2-3 questions for the group to discuss during th week.

message 8: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments Hi. I am from Buffalo, ny. I read this probably 8 or so years ago, one of my favorites from her. Now I just have to find the book again. Look forward to reading it again!!!

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth (allmanak) Hello everyone. I'm from West Virginia. I've read a few Picoult books, having just finished 19 Minutes, which has has given me a lot to think about. I was prompted by this reading to look for a Jodi Picoult discussion group. I would like to be a part of the Mercy discussion; hopefully I can find the book in my local library.

message 10: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (hugabug9275) | 4 comments Count me in! I love her books! I am in Minnesota?

message 11: by Jo-Anne (new)

Jo-Anne Smith | 2 comments Hi Kristina. I am from Ontario, Canada.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 21 comments Hi! I'm Heather from Canberra, Australia. Love this book! One of my favourites!

message 13: by Jo-Anne (new)

Jo-Anne Smith | 2 comments Well to be honest I have read all of Jodi's books but Mercy was several years ago so I will now start to read it again and then will be back!!

message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana Davis | 15 comments I'm going to join in! I will be a bit behind, I had to request a copy from the library! I'm from Esko, MN....kind of by Duluth!

message 15: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments Hi everyone. Well I couldn't find my book copy, the local library didn't have it, and overdrive copy was not available, so I bought a kindle version. At least I cant lose it.
I am ready read :) I haven't read a Jodi picoult book in awhile, looking forward to her writing...

message 16: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments Well I have started reading. 43 pages in. The story already has me emotionally involved. The Maggie and Jamie story has me glued to the book already.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather | 21 comments Very interesting concept... how much can you love someone....

message 18: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments I agree. How far would you go for the one you love? Tough question.

message 19: by Rachael (new)

I'm going to start Mercy tomorrow. I'm ready to get this discussion rolling. Sorry I'm a couple days late.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather | 21 comments And Cam and Allie....
I love a quote from chapter 3 but don't want to spoil it!

message 21: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 6 comments I'm going to try to catch up! I had to finish another book I had on the go and just got this one in the mail this week.

message 22: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments Ok Jolene. I am around page 100.

message 23: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments Heather you can post spoiler info hidden. (view spoiler). The directions are shown in (some html is ok) just above this comment box.

message 24: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments In chapter 3 . Liked that Allie (view spoiler)

message 25: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments Chapter 5. Something I didn’t think of for why he did it’s(view spoiler)

message 26: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments There was a news story today in buffalo. A man is on trial for killing his wife, she was suffering badly from Alzheimer. He killed her with a hammer. Strange coincidence.

message 27: by Rachael (new)

Sorry guys kind of failing at this read a long right now. I'm finishing up another book that I started and I still haven't started Mercy. I'm planning on it being my next book.

message 28: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments Ok sounds good Rachael

message 29: by April (new)

April Snow I’m behind too. I just finished a book and will start Mercy tomorrow!

message 30: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments How are cam and angus related again?
Cam and Jaime are cousins? Lost track of these things.

message 31: by Audrey (new)

Audrey C (goodreadscomreadingprodigy) | 8 comments I think I’d like to join! It’s been years since I’ve read this.

message 32: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments Hi Audrey. Welcome. The book read is underway. Many people are just starting so happy to have ya in the read along.

message 33: by April (new)

April Snow How does the spoilers removed thing work? How do I see them when I’m ready. I tried to click it and nothing happens

message 34: by Diana (new)

Diana Davis | 15 comments Rich wrote: "How are cam and angus related again?
Cam and Jaime are cousins? Lost track of these things."

I believe he is Cam's uncle

message 35: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments Thanks Diane

message 36: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments April-
Are you using the goodreads app or the goodreads.com site?

message 37: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments April. You should be able to just click on it. (view spoiler) try this one. You should see “just a test.”

message 38: by April (new)

April Snow I am using the app on my iPhone. When I click it, nothing happens.

message 39: by Rachael (new)

I’m 60 pages in. So far mostly confused about what this book is about. I mean in my mind he has admitted to guilt, so where is the story. We will wait and see. I have a four day weekend, so I’m going to try to catch up.

message 40: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments April-I see what you mean with the app version. I am at loss for the spoilers then. I am going to ask racheal what she means by spoilers included as per the group read name.

message 41: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments Rachael wrote: "I’m 60 pages in. So far mostly confused about what this book is about. I mean in my mind he has admitted to guilt, so where is the story. We will wait and see. I have a four day weekend, so I’m goi..."
What do you mean by spoilers included in the name of this group read? Did you intend to have spoiler comments allowed throughout the discussions?

message 42: by Rachael (new)

Rich of course this is a read along and it is meant to be a place to discuss the book. I put that there so people that have not read the book know that there are spoilers when opening the thread. Try to put what page number you are at, so if I’m not there I can skip that post, but otherwise this thread is a free for all.

message 43: by Lorri (new)

Lorri Williams | 14 comments Rachael wrote: "I’m 60 pages in. So far mostly confused about what this book is about. I mean in my mind he has admitted to guilt, so where is the story. We will wait and see. I have a four day weekend, so I’m goi..."

you and I are about the same place! do you think we should re do the time line? Or just go with it the way it is?

message 44: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments Rachael. Sounds good. To me that part of story is not whether he is guilty by the law but whether he is morally in the right or wrong. Can he possibly be found not guilty (or limited punishment) if he did something wrong for basic humane reasons.

message 45: by Rachael (new)

Lorri wrote: "Rachael wrote: "I’m 60 pages in. So far mostly confused about what this book is about. I mean in my mind he has admitted to guilt, so where is the story. We will wait and see. I have a four day wee..."

Hi Lorri. Good idea. I updated the dates since I got a late start on the book. I'm trucking along now. I will come up with my questions within the next couple of days for the first section. I'm intriqued, but so far mostly confused.

message 46: by Rachael (new)

Rich wrote: "Rachael. Sounds good. To me that part of story is not whether he is guilty by the law but whether he is morally in the right or wrong. Can he possibly be found not guilty (or limited punishment) if..."

I think part of my problem with the book so far also might be the idea behind it. I don't think it is right that he killed his wife for any reason. I would feel endlessly guilty because what if she could have got better. Miracles happen every day, but I'm also trying to see his point of view from the other side because there are times where you have to watch the ones you love suffer and they suffer for a long time. I can see how he wouldn't want her to go through with it. Like any other Jodi Picoult book there is always a lot of thinking and wondering.

message 47: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments It is surely hard to argue that he is the wrong. But his wife wanted this also so it seems to be a mutual planned thing. as the book goes on it seems we are getting to know their situation and feel their relationship. So what seems to be black and white maybe grayish. Jodi does seem to find interesting angles and situations to write about, and find myself ready to live and die with her characters.

message 48: by Rachael (new)

Okay I finally made it to 120. Here’s my questions:

Who is your favorite character so far?

What do you think possessed Allie to help Jamie before she even knew him?

Jamie told Allie that marriage is never 50-50 do you agree?

message 49: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments Here’s my thoughts onthe second question.

Allie first sees Jamie protecting his dead wife in the car. Jamie protects her with such passion that Allie tells Cam “he obviously loved her”.
I think Allie adores Cam with that kind of passion and identifies with Jamie deep down. They are each passionionate for the one they love. I think that is why she is willing to help Jamie without really knowing him.

message 50: by Rich (new)

Rich | 37 comments marriage is never 50-50?

I don’t agree with that. It maybe somewhat true at one point in time, but that balance shifts back and forth. So in my opinion the average over a long period of time should be close to 50-50. Through time things probably should change for what keeps the marriage energized and on track. A marriage that is always lospsided is probably not a healthy thing in my opinion.

« previous 1