Beyond Reality discussion

Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
This topic is about Nemesis Games
SERIES—List & Discussions > The Expanse--Nemesis Game: finished reading (spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2140 comments Mod
This thread is for discussion of Nemesis Games for those who have finished reading. Spoilers ahead!

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Jan 01, 2018 05:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3105 comments Mod
I thought this book was a great break from the others—following the four main crew members of the Roci as they separated and, for Amos, Alex, and Naomi, revisited their pasts. Naomi’s backstory (and current story) was heartbreaking.

And the attack on the earth—very scary!

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments This book in the series concentrates on the good old Solar System. Aside from the Belter terrorist faction's taking of Fred johnson's protomolecule sample, this story is all about subsequent things affecting our small band of protagonists (Amos on Earth, Alex on Mars and beyond, Holden in Tycho station, Naomi as a captive of Marco, the father of her son, Filip).

But once the terrorists launch a kinetic attack on Earth, all the divergent story lines begin to converge. Happily, Bobbie reappears and contributes to the unfolding events. Clarissa is rescued from her Earthly prison to the unfriendly environs of the destroyed world. But now we get to call her "Peaches". Not too sure how I feel about that. Perhaps as the sibling of the original protomolecule victim, we have to allow her to emerge as a significant character.

The action, rotating as it does among the lead actors, does not lag and builds to the not entirely satisfying ending. Overall, another success in this cycle. The next volume really needs to get smack into the protomolecule and interstellar alien influences. Based on the epilogue, it looks like that just might be the case.

Silvana (silvaubrey) This is my first five-star Expanse book. Everything comes together perfectly despite the separation. It was great to be inside Naomi, Alex and Amos's heads for once. I love them all, what fantastic, well-rounded characters.

message 5: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I really had a hard time putting this one down. I like a good story, but what really hooks me more than anything else is characters, and my favorite aspect of this installment was getting to know the rest of the crew better. Up until know we mostly knew Alex, Amos and Naomi just from Holden's point of view, so we only had his perceptions to go on. I loved having the chance to get their POV and get to know them in that way, in addition to keeping tabs on what was happening in the rest of the solar system.

Not sure how I feel about Clarissa (Peaches?) apparently joining the crew, but I was happy to see Bobbie again and it will be interesting to see how the Roci crew rounds out in the next book with some new additions.

As for what happened...oh my how heartbreaking. Both what happened to Earth and Naomi's story.

Silvana (silvaubrey) I'm still not sure what to think about Clarissa as well. even until now.

I mean, I did not hate her or anything, it is just the coincidence factor, everyone coming together and so on could feel a bit forced, sometimes. But Corey did a great job, I think, in describing the process of her induction.

By the way, if you noticed when you watched The Expanse's first episode at Syfy, Avasarala and her grandson were talking about things falling out from the sky :D Totally foreshadowing what's next.

message 7: by Jim (last edited Jan 01, 2018 08:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Just a non sequitur comment: From the look of the number of posts so far, it seems I'm not the only one who's been reading ahead. Maybe I'd better get started on the next volume. ;-)

message 8: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am not reading ahead. Want to, but resisting.

message 9: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Kathi wrote: "I am not reading ahead. Want to, but resisting."

I admire your discipline!

message 10: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 496 comments Mod
Loved this one! I agree with the comments above, getting a more in depth view of our four main characters was a welcome change. Learning more of their backstories just made me like each one more. Each is flawed, yet turned those circumstances into an impetus to grow beyond. I thought the plot was clever, too, having them each approach the problem of the missing ships in different ways.

My favorite exchange:
Fred: What did you do?
Holden: There was a button.
Fred: Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?

And Bobby is back!

message 11: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill Burris (wburris) Cibola Burn is still my favorite.

The ending of Nemesis Games, makes it seem like things will get more interesting in the future.

I just started The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds. The Expanse series lacks the depth that you find in Alastair Reynolds writing. The Expanse is written like they are keeping it simple so that its not too difficult to turn into a TV show.

message 12: by Random (last edited Jan 23, 2018 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Random (rand0m1s) | 808 comments I finally managed to get to this one and I enjoyed it.

For anyone interested, The Churn goes into Amos's back story in greater detail and will make some of the side comments while he is on Earth make a little more sense.

Oh on a similar note, Bobby makes reference to her nephew at one point. That's covered in the Gods of Risk novella.

I'm really anxious for the next book. This one has left things wide open, especially the very end, and I'm dying to find out more on what's happening.

I have to admit, I enjoy the Holden jokes. First Avasarala and now Fred. But, in all honesty, Holden really does deserve the flack.

I'm queuing up The Vital Abyss to help hold me off until Babylon's Ashes. I too am applying iron self control to stay with the reading schedule and not getting ahead. :)

Random (rand0m1s) | 808 comments And, to continue with this book, the title.

Nemesis was the Greek goddess of divine retribution.

In Greek tragedies, she was the avenger of crime and the punisher of hubris.

The definition of the word "nemesis" originally meant the distributor of fortune, neither good nor bad, simply in due proportion to each according to what was deserved. Later it came to suggest the resentment caused by any disturbance of this right proportion, the sense of justice that could not allow it to pass unpunished.

message 14: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Jan 23, 2018 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Random wrote: "And, to continue with this book, the title.
Nemesis was the Greek goddess of divine retribution.
In Greek tragedies, she was the avenger of crime and the punisher of hubris.
The definition of th..."

So, Nemesis Games— “playing around” with retribution? Alex, Naomi, and Amos all return to their past, in a way, to make things right, but it doesn’t go according to plan for any of them. I’m thinking especially of Naomi and Amos—are the gods repaying them for their past actions? Are they on the giving or receiving end—or both?

Random (rand0m1s) | 808 comments Kathi wrote: "So, Nemesis Games— “playing around” with retribution? Alex, Naomi, and Amos all return to their past, in a way, to make things right, but it doesn’t go according to plan for any of them. I’m thinking especially of Naomi and Amos—are the gods repaying them for their past actions? Are they on the giving or receiving end—or both? "

Could also be seen as the Free Navy retribution against the inner planets.

Could also be something a little less obvious. Something is going on with what looks like part of the Martian Navy, the protomolecule, the gates, and what's behind them.

Who are the gods? We keep getting periodic mention of those who killed off the ones who created the gates, etc, and curiosity on how they may react with us basically moving into the ruins.

There's a few levels to play with here. :)

message 16: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Certainly a hint of some sinister forces at the end. We shall see.

message 17: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Random wrote: "There's a few levels to play with here. :)"

And that is one reason I am enjoying this series so much!

message 18: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Gillen | 25 comments I liked that we got to see in the minds of the other members of the Rocinante's crew. The novel moved along and the stories connected back to each other. The novellas added to my satisfaction by explaining the background material. I thought the four sections were uneven though. Alex goes to Mars and picks up Bobbie. Amos goes to Earth and picks up Clarissa. Too much coincidence there. The Holden and Fred section was good. The best section was how the authors changed the reader's perception of Naomi. What I found unusual was that this novel did not feel self-contained like the other four books. I need to get reading Babylons Ashes to get that resolution. Fortunately, I won a Goodreads giveaway and plan to read it next month.

message 19: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

I guess I will have to pick up the short stories...

Random (rand0m1s) | 808 comments Reading The Vital Abyss after Nemesis Games is the perfect timing for the story. The PoV was fascinating. And it makes me crave Babylon's Ashes even more. :)

message 21: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi wrote: "I guess I will have to pick up the short stories..."

I have been thinking the same thing! Maybe after we finish the series (or what's published of it so far) we can do a discussion of the shorts?

message 22: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Started a separate thread...

Cassandra (cassandrat) just finished. I'm behind on the series. This book was one of the ones I must enjoyed reading, which is why I took my time a bit. But, when the attacks started and things became clear I had to suspend belief quite a bit. I just don't find it believable. The rejoining with Peaches is also quite out there. But I like Fred Johnson's parts quite a bit. I'm glad Bobbie is back. It was great to explore the solar system a little more before it got blown up.