J. L. Brown Thrillers and More discussion

What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.L. (new)

J.L. (jlbrownauthor) | 24 comments Mod
What are you reading now? Would you recommend it?

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Clarke (jools321123) | 2 comments I am currently reading The Power of the Dog by Thomas Savage. It's not something I would normally choose, but I'm finding it enthralling. Forget Dracula, forget Frankenstein, even forget Freddie Kruger...Phil Burbank is, in my opinion, the most terrifying character ever created! And he's as real as you or me.

message 3: by J.L. (new)

I just read the book's description. He does sound terrifying. Given that it was written in 1967, how did you hear about it?

message 4: by Rob (new)

Rob | 1 comments The Power of Moments by Chip & Dan Heath. It’s a great read for anyone who manages a team or especially marketing or HR professionals. Good mix of stories and practical advice.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Clarke (jools321123) | 2 comments I was just browsing the book store and it caught my eye. I love a good psychological thriller, and it is certainly that. It might be categorised as a Western, but there is so much more to this genre-busting masterpiece.

message 6: by Vanda (new)

Vanda Denton | 1 comments I'm reading two of my own books and, looks shy, really enjoying them. I have three Christian books on the go. The one I read every day and absolutely love is Hearing the Voice of God by Max Lucado. My main entertainment is a sci fi book by Ellie Maloney called 329 Years Awake: intriguing and original. Oh, and I also love thrillers.

message 7: by J.L. (last edited Jan 12, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Vanda wrote: "The one I read every day and absolutely love is Hearing the Voice of God by Max Lucado...."

I read Fearless by Lucado long ago. Oh...and I just realized my daily reflections are written by him: Grace for the Moment. I need to check out Hearing the Voice. Thanks for responding.

message 8: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Rogers (laurel6) | 1 comments Hi! I am currently re-readingThe Onion Field which gives me chills every time. In Cold Blood is another I can't put down. As you probably guessed, I read more than one book at a time...There's a pile of various genres on my bed at all times!
I'm looking forward to perusing your works, J. L.

message 9: by J.L. (new)

Hey Laurel, thanks for the reading suggestions. I, too, enjoy a wide variety of genres. The other night, I shook my head at the stacks of unread books on and surrounding my nightstand. Thank you for your interest in my work and for joining the group.

message 10: by J.L. (new)

We just formed a local book club, and the first read is The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. Has anyone read it?

message 11: by J.L. (new)

Just finished the Cicero trilogy. Here is my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 12: by J.L. (new)

Just completed Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. I loved this book. Here is my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 13: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (sarojaedewordstained) | 1 comments I just finished The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer. I would probably recommend it who likes political/crime mysteries. The book kept me interested and kept me guessing at a couple of things.

message 14: by J.L. (new)

Sabrina wrote: "I just finished The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer. I would probably recommend it who likes political/crime mysteries. "

I've read several of his books but have not read that one. Need to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

message 15: by Audi (new)

Audi  (audibrown) | 1 comments Mod
My book club is currently reading Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

message 16: by J.L. (new)

I am reading The Source by James Michener and A Fragile Thing
by Kevin Wignall.

message 17: by J.L. (new)

Audi wrote: "My book club is currently reading Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead"

I've read it; I can't wait to hear what the book club thinks.

message 18: by J.L. (new)

I highly recommend The Plot to Destroy Democracy by Malcolm Nance. Check out my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 19: by Peter (new)

Peter (74765525) | 3 comments Elizabeth Brundage's All Things Cease to Appear. Brundage, who has taught writing, is a master in creating characters that are unique and that demand our attention. If Stephen King likes it, it seems like it has to be worth reading.

message 20: by J.L. (new)

Peter wrote: " If Stephen King likes it, it see..."

True. Let me know how you like it!

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter (74765525) | 3 comments J.L.: Brundage is not for everyone. Some readers are put off by the fact that she does away with quote marks, but I don't find that a problem. I don't have a problem knowing when something is said out loud. More importantly, she delves deeply into her character's psyches which means as a reader you have to be willing to go deep yourself. Finally, the book is billed as a "literary thriller." The word thriller sets up a false expectation in the minds of some readers. It's not a "thriller" in my book. It's a novel about contemporary society (even thought it's set in 1978) and should be read as such.

message 22: by J.L. (new)

My first editor called Don't Speak a literary thriller. I liked that. :)

message 23: by J.L. (new)

My review of Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Excellent!

message 24: by Peter (new)

Peter (74765525) | 3 comments I'm about to start The Weight of Ink. Another literary thriller perhaps? Who has read it?

message 25: by Colin (new)

Colin Ward (inasmanywords) | 1 comments J.L. wrote: "What are you reading now? Would you recommend it?"

I have just finished Peter May's "Lockdown." He originally wrote the book in 2005 but was told by his publishers that people really wouldn't buy into the idea of a pandemic crushing London.

Ahem.

Well...he released it this year.

As a book in its own right, it is brilliant. Well crafted, atmospheric, rich with character. It's a darkly tragic tale but I won't detail why due to potential spoilers. Detective McNeil (Sp?) is a great lone-ranger kind of cop, but he's smart. A big man, brave, and has a strong moral fibre. He is a heroic character, but not in a soppy way. One shouts support for him and his sincerity.

But the story is tragic even more so when read in the frame of 2020. In fact, it partly nudges into a kind of horror (but is not that genre.) The whole pandemic thing is so well described it makes films like "I am Legend" feel like a went sponge, and 28 Days Later feel like a headache slow story.

Lockdown is pacey. A great read. I wrote in my review that although I highly recommend it, I'd have a stiff drink at the ready! :)

message 26: by J.L. (new)

Colin wrote: "J.L. wrote: "What are you reading now? Would you recommend it?"

I have just finished Peter May's "Lockdown." He originally wrote the book in 2005 but was told by his publishers that people really ..."

Colin,

I've read one of Peter May's books and loved it, so I will definitely check out "Lockdown." Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention.

Best,

J. L.