Cozy Mysteries discussion

Sue Grafton
This topic is about Sue Grafton
Authors we've lost > Sue Grafton has died

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17300 comments Mod
I was sad to see that mystery writer Sue Grafton died late Thursday night at age 77, after a two-year battle with cancer. Her last book was Y is for Yesterday, and she has reputedly left instructions that she wanted no ghost writers for unfinished manuscripts, or for any books to be made into movies or TV series. Therefore, the alphabet now ends at "Y".

RIP, Miss Grafton.

message 2: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Divine | 5 comments Aww. I didn't even know this. But now I see why all her books are displayed out on a table at my local library. Sad.
RIP Sue Grafton

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 38626 comments Heather L wrote: "I was sad to see that mystery writer Sue Grafton died late Thursday night at age 77, after a two-year battle with cancer. Her last book was Y is for Yesterday, and she..."

Those instructions were tweeted by her daughter. The next book was supposed to be called Z is for Zero. At least she is no longer suffering. RIP

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 18 comments Oh That's sad RIP Sue

message 5: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 56459 comments Paula wrote: "Heather L wrote: "I was sad to see that mystery writer Sue Grafton died late Thursday night at age 77, after a two-year battle with cancer. Her last book was [book:Y is for Yesterday|..."

Yes, her daughter clearly said "Y" is the last book.

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2336 comments I was shocked and saddened when I learned of her passing. I love the Kinsey Milhone series, even though they are not cozies.

message 7: by ☯Emily (last edited Dec 30, 2017 05:41PM) (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 56459 comments This is the last interview on NPR, just a few months ago: https://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/544886...

This interview explains why she doesn't want her books made into movies or a TV series: https://web.archive.org/web/200612312...

message 8: by Barb (new)

Barb | 909 comments She worked as a screenwriter before her books started taking off, so I found this quote (from her obituary in the NY Times) to be especially telling:

She did not care for the dynamics of writing for TV and film.

“Ask me if I’d ever sell the film or TV rights to these books,” she said in a 2013 interview with The Minneapolis Star Tribune promoting “W Is for Wasted.” “No, I would not. I would never let those clowns get their hands on my work. They’d ruin it for everyone, me more than most.”

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 217 comments I was saddened to see this, though I admit I gave up on the series at about "O". I do like her attitude to the movie/TV industry :)

I had no idea she was that old, though I suppose I could have guessed, given when I first discovered her books.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7206 comments I was so saddened to hear this news. So glad I got to see her at book signings for V and X, she was such a sweet lady.

message 11: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 13 comments Oh....I just discovered this post and I am very sad about the news. Her books are the first "grown up" mysteries I read and I will never forget how I happy I was when K is for Killer came out and I found it on the shelf at my local library....
RIP Sue Grafton

message 12: by Anita (last edited Jan 30, 2018 11:01AM) (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 248 comments Sue Grafton is the only author I have ever personally met. Gracious and lovely. It was a wonderful meeting. I will miss her greatly.

message 13: by Sandie (new)

Sandie | 6578 comments Not a good year for Sue's. One of my favorite historical fiction writers Sue Vreeland also died in 2017. She wrote The Girl in Hyacinth Blue, Lisette's List, The Passion of Artemesia (one of my personal favorites), Clare & Mr. Tiffany and many more. Like Sue Grafton, whose Kinsey Milhone mysteries I thoroughly enjoyed, this Sue will be missed too.