Classics for Beginners discussion

A Farewell to Arms
This topic is about A Farewell to Arms
Archive 2018 > January 2018: A Farewell to Arms

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , moderator (last edited Dec 30, 2017 04:39PM) (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 772 comments Mod
This month, we will only have one thread as we read and discuss A Farewell to Arms. Please, if anyone wants to discuss a part of the book that might spoil it for others, then use spoilers. It would also help if you mention the chapter you are discussing before you make a comment. That way other participants might wait to read your comments.

It has been more than three years since this group read Hemingway, so it should be a interesting experience.

Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson (wickedshizuku) | 7 comments Hello I'm Samantha, and I'll be leading this discussion. Please take care of me.

Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson (wickedshizuku) | 7 comments So; I was reading up on Ernest Hemingway. Did anyone else notice that he was married four times?
This book was written during and after his first. I think the romanticism reflects that period of his life, and also some of his real life experiences merge with his writing.

message 4: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

Hemingway was not an ideal husband and not a faithful one either. It isn't the best book in the world, but The Paris Wife gives a fictionalized version of Hemingway's first marriage. Much of the information in the book is based on facts.

message 5: by Jeremy (last edited Jan 12, 2018 03:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeremy I've started reading the first few pages and I find his writing almost mesmerising. You feel reeled into the story even though you're not even sure who the narrator is or what its even about. The way he describes with clarity the natural world around him while including destructive human events which are happening as a background effect is incredibly effective and a fascinating juxtaposition. Even though these events are threatening, he writes without emotion of the damage these could have on himself and his family, playing the role of a passive witness. This leads to questions about the narrator and his humanity; is he recollecting memories too painful to include emotion or is this just his personality like the existential character portrayed by Camus in The Outsider?

The Outsider by Albert Camus by Albert Camus Albert Camus

message 6: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

As you read the book, do you consider it to be anti-war or pro-war?

Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson (wickedshizuku) | 7 comments Both of you have excellent points. Jeremy, I was also under the impression that the main character seemed emotionless, but I think that it’s the way most common way a soldier can account his wartime. My grandfather, father, brother, and husband all seem to have this common trait whenever they discuss the wars they were involved in. Similar to separating themselves from the events, but they are the first hand accounts. The difference between them though are the wars, and the changes in warfare and the homecomings. Also the difference in the severity of PTSD nowadays.
Emily, Hemingway I believe he was firmly anti-war though he frequently wrote about it. I also think that it’s the reason for his alcoholism and philandering.

message 8: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

Many critics complain about Hemingway's depiction of women. They are either shrews or submissive, like Catherine. What do you think about Catherine and how she is portrayed?

Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson (wickedshizuku) | 7 comments I think he was probably portraying women of the times. Not that he was intentionally framing women in a bad light, but reflected them as they were. Every woman from that generation and before were submissive to men. Not because they wanted to, but because they were raised with that line of thinking. They were raised to always have faith that a man would protect her from any danger and respect her. Be it: fire, tornado, or the sky falling. You name it, and I believe that is also a reflection of those times. Boys were also taught to respect women in every sense of the word, and if they didn’t they were taken out to the barn and whipped by their parents. That’s just how it was; even though today we don’t live by that type of justice or reasoning. There’s a vast difference between the then and now in all manner of issues. The women’s rights movement was one that was positive unlike the Civil Rights Movement. Which is a whole other ball of wax.