What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Short story; secluded home; horses; snowstorm; woman cheats on husband with scary Amish guy.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luke (last edited Dec 31, 2017 09:27AM) (new)

Luke Colburn | 2 comments (Not sure if querying about short stories is appropriate. Sorry if it's not!)
This is a short piece written by a professor of English. He talks about how he used to tell his students a short story, which he launches into. The major characters are a refined man and his beautiful wife/girlfriend, who has a free spirit and needs to get away from the man. She is always desired by others at parties and such.
After they live in Los Angeles or something, they move to a house in the country, to have kids or something. The neighbors are peculiar amish-like farmers who ride horses. The son of the neighbor teaches the wife how to ride horses, and she becomes addicted to this, and very good at it. She also falls in love with the son. The son scares the husband, because he is brutally strong, and violent.
After some time of cheating on her husband, the wife is somehow left in the middle of a snowstorm in the husband's car. The husband goes for help, and eventually reaches the son, who rides out on his horse to rescue the wife. This is near the end.
After describing the story, the English professor says that he used it to demonstrate the power of perspective in storytelling. If told from the perspective of the wife, or at a different starting point in the narrative, the story could mean something entirely different.
Thanks for reading! LMK if you need more details!
EDIT ONE: The English professor is a professor in real life and does not appear in the story he tells. The piece begins and ends like an essay, with the professor describing interactions with his actual classes. I suppose you could say that he prefaced the story with this information, but it appeared as one continuous piece, so that the story begins smoothly from the beginning. It begins and ends in the first person. When he tells the story, it is in the third person.
I must have read it 1-3 years ago, in some sort of anthology or magazine. It could have been The New Yorker, but I can't be sure. It definitely appeared along with multiple authors.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35128 comments Mod
Luke, English professor is not a character in the story, and his description appears in a preface to the story?

If this appears in a collection/anthology of short stories, what is the theme of the collection and are there multiple authors or a single author?

Around what year did you read this story?

message 3: by Luke (new)

Luke Colburn | 2 comments Kris wrote: "Luke, English professor is not a character in the story, and his description appears in a preface to the story?

If this appears in a collection/anthology of short stories, what is the theme of the..."

Good questions! I'll add more info to my initial comment in a minute. Thanks!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39282 comments Mod
Luke, are you still looking for this or did you find it?