Play Book Tag discussion

December 2017: Social Issues > Murder on the Red River by Marcie Rendon - 4****

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 727 comments OK, This is the first review that I have written for PBT since the move to Goodreads (so yeah, it's been a while!). Let's see if I remember how...

19 year-old Renee Blackbear - better known as Cash - lives a simple life in a room above an appliance store in Fargo. Separated from her mother by social workers when she was three, she grew up in a series of foster homes and is very familiar with the prejudice against Indians. Luckily, she was taken under the wing of the local sheriff, Wheaton, and still has a close relationship with him. At 19, she makes her living as a farm worker and a pool shark, travelling the countryside both daily and nightly from farm to farm and bar to bar.

When an Indian man from a nearby reservation is found stabbed to death in a field, Wheaton asks for Cash's help in identifying him, which she does in a way that I found very interesting (I'm not giving it away). She then goes further and tries to find out who murdered him, putting herself in harm's way also.

This book is extremely atmospheric. As Cash goes through the routines of her daily life, I felt like I was THERE in the smoky bars, her dingy apartment, and the wide open country roads and fields - all set against the backdrop of a time when America was fighting in the Viet Nam war. And despite that fact that she is a chain-smoking, beer guzzling, hard-living woman (kind of the opposite of me), I really liked her and was rooting for her all the way. Was so glad to see some growth in her by the end of the novel.

FYI - I didn't use the term "Native American" in my review above because it's not used in this novel to the best of my memory.

Murder on the Red River is the debut novel by Marcie Rendon - and I hope there will be more to come. Marcie is a member of the White Earth Anishinabe Nation, an Ojibwe tribe in northern Minnesota.

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2321 comments Lovely review, thanks! This sounds so interesting - I'll look out for it

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5790 comments Great review ... adding it to my tbr. And welcome back, Doughgirl!

message 4: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 727 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Great review ... adding it to my tbr. And welcome back, Doughgirl!"

Thanks BC!

message 5: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 727 comments KateNZ wrote: "Lovely review, thanks! This sounds so interesting - I'll look out for it"

Great!