Play Book Tag discussion

The Story of Arthur Truluv (Mason, #1)
This topic is about The Story of Arthur Truluv
Archive: Other Books > The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2136 comments 85-year old widower Arthur Moses misses his wife Nola who passed away 6 months ago. Arthur takes the bus to the cemetery every day, carting his folding chair and his lunch, so that he can visit with Nola while he eats. Maddie is a 17-year-old girl who frequents the cemetery nearly every day when she cuts classes at school. Her mother died when Maddie was just an infant leaving her daughter alone with a man who resents the child for not being the person he wants her to be. Maddie is at odds with the world, her father and the students at school who bully her unmercifully. Arthur and Maddie cross paths with one another at the cemetery and form a friendship. When Maddie finds herself in a situation that her father wants to control, Maddie leaves home and moves in with Arthur as a live-in housekeeper. The third person in this unlikely trio is Arthur's elderly neighbor Lucille who has reconnected with her first love from 50 years ago. Lucille is drawn to Arthur's friendship and the teenaged girl who has never known a motherly touch; childless Lucille is more than willing to help. The three form a strong bond at first from loneliness and need but eventually from mutual respect and love.

This is a lovely story of three people who come together and fulfill one another's empty spaces. Yes, it is manipulative and the constant foreshadowing lets you know what's coming. I loved and was charmed by Arthur, who was nicknamed Truluv by Maddie for his unceasing devotion to Nola. Great read!

message 2: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 415 comments Sounds good, I've added it to my TBR list. Thanks for sharing.

message 3: by Joni (new) - added it

Joni | 612 comments Just added to my TBR. Sounds wonderful