Book Nook Cafe discussion

Health-Exercise-Diet > Recipe Thread #8 ~~ 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 188 (188 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments

Share your favorite recipes with us !

message 2: by Alias Reader (last edited Dec 30, 2017 01:27PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Red Lentil Soup With Lemon

by Melissa Clark
New York Times

Yield 4 servings Time 45 minutes

This is a lentil soup that defies expectations of what lentil soup can be. It is light, spicy and a bold red color (no murky brown here): a revelatory dish that takes less than an hour to make. The cooking is painless. Sauté onion and garlic in oil, then stir in tomato paste, cumin and chile powder and cook a few minutes more to intensify flavor. Add broth, water, red lentils (which cook faster than their green or black counterparts) and diced carrot, and simmer for 30 minutes. Purée half the mixture and return it to the pot for a soup that strikes the balance between chunky and pleasingly smooth. A hit of lemon juice adds an up note that offsets the deep cumin and chile flavors.

~~~Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil, more for drizzling
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch of ground chile powder or cayenne, more to taste
1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 cup red lentils
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
Juice of 1/2 lemon, more to taste
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

~~~ Preparation

In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons oil over high heat until hot and shimmering. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes.

Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, black pepper and chili powder or cayenne, and sauté for 2 minutes longer.

Add broth, 2 cups water, lentils and carrot. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover pot and turn heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Taste and add salt if necessary.

Using an immersion or regular blender or a food processor, purée half the soup then add it back to pot. Soup should be somewhat chunky.

Reheat soup if necessary, then stir in lemon juice and cilantro. Serve soup drizzled with good olive oil and dusted lightly with chili powder if desired.
----------------------------------

I am not a cilantro fan so I would omit that.

I do need to get an immersion blender. Anyone have one they would recommend ?

message 3: by madrano (new)

madrano | 10334 comments I don't have an immersion blender either. This recipe sounds good, all thanks to that addition of lemon. Funny how one ingredient can make something sound even tastier. (With you on the cilantro, btw.)

message 4: by Alias Reader (last edited Jan 01, 2018 10:08AM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments I had dinner at a friends house this evening. She made a simply soup that was delicious. Vegan, too !

She bought fresh cut up butternut squash.

Saute an onion for 8 min.
Add butternut squash and broth, salt, pepper, thyme.
Bring to a boil and then simmer 25 min.
Cool soup
Use an immersion blender stick or in your blender (careful putting hot food in a glass blender ! ) Puree soup
Reheat the soup
Add nutmeg to taste.

message 5: by Alias Reader (last edited Jan 01, 2018 09:59AM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Here are some healthy veggie burger recipes from
https://www.buzzfeed.com

Portobello Veggie Burgers

---Ingredients

for 5 servings

15 oz black bean, 1 can, drained and rinsed
½ teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced
2 large portobello mushroom caps, finely chopped
½ cup , finely chopped
¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
4 tablespoons water

---- Preparation

Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).

In a large bowl, microwave black beans for 1 minute, or until softened.

Add salt and garlic. Mash until black beans are finely mashed.

Add mushrooms, walnuts, and parsley.

In a small bowl, mix ground flax and water and stir until thoroughly combined.

Add flax mixture to the mushroom mixture and mix thoroughly.

Using a ½ cup (120 ml) measuring cup, portion 5 patties from the mixture. Place onto a lightly greased parchment-lined sheet pan.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until firm and browned, flipping over halfway through.

Serve burgers with your favorite fixins.
Enjoy!

message 6: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Black Bean & Roasted Red Pepper Veggie Burgers

-----Ingredients

for 5 servings

15 oz black bean, 1 can, drained and rinsed
½ cup jarred roasted red pepper, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup cornmeal

---Preparation

In a large bowl, microwave black beans for 1 minute, or until softened.

Add roasted red peppers, garlic, cayenne, cumin, and salt. Mash until black beans are finely mashed.

Add cornmeal and mix until thoroughly combined.

Using a ½ cup (120 ml) measuring cup, portion 5 patties from the mixture. Place onto a lightly greased parchment paper-lined sheet pan.

Enjoy!

message 7: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Sunflower Veggie Burgers

Ingredients

for 5 servings

1 cup sunflower seed
¼ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup brown rice, cooked
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons water
1 cup carrot, chopped
½ cup celery, chopped

-Preparation

In the bowl of a food processor, add sunflower seeds. Process until finely ground.

Add onion, brown rice, thyme, salt, and water and process until combined.

Add carrot and celery and pulse several times to combine.

Using a ½ cup (120 ml) measuring cup, portion 5 patties from the mixture. Place onto a lightly greased parchment-lined sheet pan.

Enjoy!

message 8: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Black Bean & Corn Burgers

- Ingredients

for 4 servings

15 oz black bean, 1 can, drained, rinsed
½ cup brown rice, cooked
1 cup corn
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 egg
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
⅓ cup seasoned bread crumbs
canola oil
4 slices pepper jack cheese
tomato
red onion
avocado
pico de gallo

- Preparation

In a large bowl, add black beans, rice, corn, seasonings, and egg. Using a potato masher, mash the ingredients until thoroughly mixed together.

Once mashed, add the bread crumbs and mix to combine.

Take a quarter of the mixture and shape it into a patty using your hands. Repeat with the remaining mixture to create four patties.

In a pan, heat a small amount of oil over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 4-5 minutes, flip, top with a slice of pepper jack, and cook for another 4-5 minutes.

Place patties on buns, and top with sliced tomato, red onion, avocado, and fresh salsa.

Enjoy!

message 9: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Quinoa Pizza Burgers

--Ingredients

for 4 servings

1 cup , cooked
15 oz pinto bean, 1 can, drained, rinsed
¼ cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
4 slices mozzarella cheese
shredded parmesan cheese
fresh basil
tomato sauce

--Preparation

Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.

In a large bowl add the quinoa, beans, tomato, paste, and seasonings. Using a potato masher, mash the ingredients until thoroughly mixed together.

Take a quarter of quinoa-bean mixture and shape it into a patty using your hands. Repeat with the remaining mixture to create four patties.

Place the patties on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Top with mozzarella, and bake for 12-15 minutes.

Place the patties on buns, and top with tomato sauce, shredded Parmesan, and fresh basil.

Enjoy!

message 10: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Sweet Potato & White Bean Burgers

~~~ Ingredients

for 4 servings

1 medium sweet potato, roasted, peeled
15 oz white bean, 1 can, drained, rinsed
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
⅓ cup nutritional yeast
⅓ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
canola oil
chipotle mayo
1 red onion, sliced
1 avocado, sliced

~~~ Preparation

Preheat oven to 350˚F/180˚C.

In a large bowl, add the roasted sweet potato, white beans, onion, parsley, lemon juice, and seasonings.

Using a potato masher, mash the ingredients until thoroughly mixed together.

Once mashed, add the bread crumbs and mix them in.

In a pan, heat a small amount of oil over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.

Place patties on buns, and top with chipotle mayo, avocado, and red onion.

Enjoy!

message 11: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Chicken Broccoli Mushroom Stir Fry

- INGREDIENTS

1 pound chicken breast, cubed

Salt, to taste

Pepper, to taste

1 pound broccoli florets

8 ounces mushrooms, sliced

3 tablespoons oil for frying

- For the sauce:

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon ginger, minced

2 teaspoons sesame oil

⅓ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 cup chicken broth

¼ cup flour
PREPARATION

1. In a large pan, on medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until cooked through and browned.

2. Remove cooked chicken from pan and set aside.

3. In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add mushrooms. When the mushrooms start to soften, add broccoli florets and stir-fry until the broccoli is tender. Remove cooked mushrooms and broccoli from the pan and set aside.

4. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and sauté garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and stir until smooth.

5. Return the chicken and vegetables to the saucy pan; stir until heated through.

6. Serve with hot rice or noodles.

7. Enjoy!

Inspired by: Natasha's Kitchen

message 12: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Mediterranean Lemon Chicken

Ingredients

1 lemon
2 teaspoons dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 chicken legs

Directions

Prep
15 m

Cook
50 m

Ready In
1 h 5 m

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

In a 9x13 inch baking dish, grate the peel from 1/2 the lemon, squeeze out the juice (about 1/4 cup) and add to peel with the oregano, garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Stir until mixed.

Remove skin from chicken pieces and discard. Coat chicken pieces with the lemon mixture and arrange, bone-side up, in the baking dish. Cover dish and bake for 20 minutes. Turn and baste chicken.

Reduce heat to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) and bake uncovered, basting every 10 minutes, for about 30 more minutes. Serve chicken with pan juices.

Tip
Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
----------------------------

I don't care for chicken legs. I only use tenders or breast. So I would sub that. Lemon and oregano is how I usually make mine but I do it in a frying pan not stove.

message 13: by madrano (new)

madrano | 10334 comments The squash soup would go well with any of those burgers. I really like that soup--the simpler the better. Actually, i really like it when i can sip my soup from a coffee mug or cup.

Putting the mushrooms with the beans sounds like a tasty burger. Thanks for all the ideas for burgers, Alias.

message 14: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments madrano wrote: "The squash soup would go well with any of those burgers. I really like that soup--the simpler the better. Actually, i really like it when i can sip my soup from a coffee mug or cup.

Deb, my friend gave me some of the soup to take home and I had it exactly as you suggested. I put it in a mug, microwaved it and drank it. It really was delicious and hit the spot in my crazy cold apartment.

I think if I go to the gym tomorrow I will hit up the Trader Joe's for cut up butternut squash (either fresh or frozen) and make the soup.

message 15: by madrano (new)

madrano | 10334 comments It sounds fairly quick to make, as long as one has an immersion tool.

message 16: by Alias Reader (last edited Jan 04, 2018 09:26AM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Banana-Oat Pancakes

Banana-Oat Pancakes
Ingredients:

1 cup oat flour (easily made by blending old-fashioned oats in blender, dry)
1/2 cup whole grain flour (oat flour for Gluten-Free)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 ripe banana, mashed
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla
1 Tbsp. maple syrup (or, I used 1 tbsp. unrefined sucanat sugar)
1-1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 cup vanilla almond milk (plain will work fine too)

Add all dry ingredients (flours, baking soda, salt, walnuts) to large bowl, and mix together. Make sure to only use oat flour if gluten intolerant.

In another bowl, mash banana well with fork or potato masher. Add all other ingredients (vanilla, maple syrup (or unrefined sugar), apple cider vinegar, and almond milk). Whisk together thoroughly.

ombine both bowls–dry ingredients and wet ingredients, and stir well.

Heat large nonstick skillet. I use an Ozeri pan and am able to cook these with absolutely no oil. Pour small amounts of batter onto the heated skillet and cook until the tops bubble and edges are dry. Turn pancakes over and cook the other side for about 1 minute, until golden brown. Serve immediately with maple syrup drizzled over the top.

Recipe from The Cancer Survivor’s Guide by Dr. Neal Barnard

message 17: by madrano (new)

madrano | 10334 comments I've never used oil with pancakes, so am surprised at the statement about a specific pan. Am i alone?

message 18: by Alias Reader (last edited Jan 04, 2018 06:55PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments madrano wrote: "I've never used oil with pancakes, so am surprised at the statement about a specific pan. Am i alone?"

I use extra virgin olive oil/butter combo. Do you not grease the pan?

message 19: by madrano (new)

madrano | 10334 comments No, most of my recipes just call for heating the pan until water sizzles. Weird, eh? I now recall one which calls for ham fat but it also incorporated (melted) ham fat into the recipe. Delicious pancakes, btw, and the first wherein i whipped up egg whites before blending ingredients. Gosh, i haven't made those in so long...no ham. LOL!

message 20: by Alias Reader (last edited Jan 05, 2018 01:45PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments madrano wrote: "No, most of my recipes just call for heating the pan until water sizzles. Weird, eh? I now recall one which calls for ham fat but it also incorporated (melted) ham fat into the recipe. Delicious pa..."

I've never tried to make pancakes in a non greased pan. I should try it next time. I guess I just assumed one had to use oil/butter so they wouldn't stick. Maybe the key is a real hot pan as you noted.

More often then not, I now saute in water and or broth. And the last few minutes add a bit of oil or butter for taste. That sure cuts down on the calories ! Though I can't do that with pancakes. LOL

message 21: by madrano (new)

madrano | 10334 comments LOL. I want to add that the hot pan plan does not work with my waffle iron, even though it is coated with Teflon. (Of course it's packed away now but it just occurred to me that it was a wedding gift, so around 48 years old. But from the beginning it's needed to be brushed with oil.)

Often i will just saute my fresh vegetables immediately after washing them, so i don't need to add anything special. But most of my vegetables taste a tad better when i use broth.

message 22: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Is your pancake pan Teflon ? I've gotten rid of all my Teflon pan. That may explain why you don't need oil/butter.

message 23: by madrano (new)

madrano | 10334 comments No, the pan i cooked pancakes on was an aluminum griddle. For years i didn't use it because of talk about a tie between aluminum cookware & Alzheimer's. But i didn't get rid of it because i like it so much. Once the Internet arrived, i researched the connection and found that science is still unclear, so i resumed using it.

Over the years i've abandoned Teflon because it kept flaking and its non-stick features weren't as reliable for me. Most likely i was using it wrong. Now i just stick to my Revereware, although i do not have a pancake pan by them.

message 24: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments I got rid of the aluminum pans and also the Teflon due to health concerns.

I now use stainless steel, cast iron and enamel I think the coating is on one small frying pan that i have.

message 25: by madrano (new)

madrano | 10334 comments Since my goods are all packed away i'm not positive but i think that waffle iron is the sole Teflon i still have. I have an electric fry pan which i really like, which is not Teflon. Whenever i use it for guests, they want to know where to find one. Apparently, most are made with Teflon now. For me, i really like being able to scrub that thing, which is verboten with the Big T.

message 26: by Alias Reader (last edited Jan 21, 2018 03:13PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Bow Tie Pasta with Broccoli, Garlic, and Lemon

Ingredients

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (8 ounce) package farfalle (bow tie) pasta
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Warm olive oil in a small frying pan over low heat. Slowly cook garlic in oil until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Be very careful not to burn garlic. Stir in lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water. About 5 minutes before pasta is done, drop broccoli into the pasta water. Continue to cook until pasta is cooked and broccoli is crisp-tender. Drain.

Toss pasta, broccoli, and lemon sauce in a large bowl. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.

http://allrecipes.com

message 27: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments We are just recovering from 3 days of either flu or food poisoning. (I say the first, as we both had differing symptoms but DH is sure it is the fresh tomatoes we ate.) ANYway, food still sounds unappealing to me. Will check this out carefully later...

message 28: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Flu would at least a week.

Hope you are on the mend soon, deb.

message 29: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Then it must be food poisoning. Dan is okay now but my stomach is still weak. I'm here to tell you that i had full body aches which had me feeling every minute of my 67 years. How people who must endure such agony daily do so, i cannot imagine. (Here i'm thinking of arthritis and joint pains. Of course, to be fair, i couldn't take meds, which may help some.) ANYway, i have no doubt we'll both be as good as usual by the time that 7 day period ends. I didn't realize any timeline had been established--good to know.

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1216 comments That's weird. Stomach flu and THE flu (influenza) are two different things. I have never heard of stomach issues and those kind of body aches at the same time. Glad you are starting to feel better.

message 31: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Julie, apparently food poisoning was the problem. We are both not eating regularly yet. My husband didn't have body aching at all. Nor the chills i had. I am also presuming the "fever blisters" all over my bottom lip & parts of my chin are associated with whatever happened.

message 32: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Avocado Tzatziki:

1 avocado
1 small/medium cucumber or ½ large cucumber, cut in half and seeds scraped out with a spoon
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon red onion, diced
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon fresh dill (or mint, depending on your preference)
¼ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt (leave out for dairy free option)
sea salt and pepper, to taste

http://www.primallyinspired.com/greek...#

message 33: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Sloppy Joe's - Paleo & Whole30

Serves: 4-6

These Sloppy Joe's are Paleo friendly and Whole30 approved with so much more flavor than you'll get from the can and can be made in just 30 minutes.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 red pepper, or orange/green/yellow
1 large onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound grass-fed beef
¾ cup Paleo Whole30 Ketchup, or ketchup of choice if not following Whole30
¼ cup coconut aminos
2 tablespoons tomato paste

Instructions

Place the coconut oil in a large skillet.

Dice up the red pepper and onion and sauté in the coconut oil over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, until they start to soften and onions start to become translucent.

Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder and stir in.

Add the beef and break it up with a spatula. Cook until browned.

Add ketchup, coconut aminos, and tomato paste and stir to combine.

Let cook on low for at least 10 minutes. The longer it cooks the more the flavors will develop. I like to simmer it for 30-40 minutes.

Serve over zucchini noodles, a sweet potato, or just eat it out of a bowl!

https://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/201...

message 34: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Broccoli Cheddar Soup

This healthier twist on creamy broccoli cheddar soup contains only 155 calories per serving. And thanks to a generous helping of Greek yogurt, it also delivers 12 grams of protein per serving.

You’ll need:

16 ounces (or about 3 cups) frozen broccoli, cooked (for a thicker soup, use more broccoli)
¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
¾ cup cheddar cheese
2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste

What to do:
Blend all ingredients, and then heat puréed mixture in a small saucepan on the stove. This recipe makes four servings.

https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/h...

message 35: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments That Tzatziki sounds interesting. I like it as is but adding avocado sounds like an experiment i could enjoy.

message 36: by Alias Reader (last edited Feb 03, 2018 06:46PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Lentil Loaf

Lentil Loaf
Serves 4 – 6

2 cups water
1 cup grey-green or brown lentils
2 Tbs ground flaxseeds + 4 Tbs water
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup instant or regular rolled oats
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
2 Tbs ketchup

Bring water to a boil. Add lentils and simmer 25 – 30 minutes, until lentils are soft and water is evaporated. Drain any excess water and partially mash lentils. Scrape into mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.

Mix the flaxseeds and water together and let sit for about 15 minutes. (This will allow it to become sticky and will be a better binder for the loaf.)

Saute the onion in the oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.

Stir the onion and oats into the lentils until mixed. Add the flax mixture, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well.

Spoon into loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with non-stick spray. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Top with the BBQ sauce and ketchup.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until the top of the loaf is dry, firm, and golden brown. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edges of pan then turn out onto a serving platter. Top with additional BBQ sauce or ketchup if needed.

http://www.insonnetskitchen.com/lenti...

message 37: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Interesting recipe. I like the addition of flax seed, as well as the explanation of why to let it sit. Because my ground beef meatloaf uses prepared mustard in the sauce, i think i would add that to the ketchup and BBQ sauce. Neat.

message 38: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments I'm reading The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Make Your Loved Ones’ Lives Easier and Your Own Life More Pleasant by Margareta Magnusson and found she included recipes. This one blew me away.

Red Beet Sherry

2 1/4 pounds (1kg) beetroots
1 gallon (4 l) water
10 c. (2 kg) sugar
1 package (250 g) raisins
3 1/2 ounces (100 g) yeast
2 slices rye or other bread (do not use white bread)

Boil beets in water until soft. Retain the water & pour into a bowl. Add the sugar & raisins. Spread the yeast on the bread slices as you might butter a sandwich. Place the bread slices on top of the beet liquid. Cover & let stand for 1 month, stirring now & then (about once a week). Strain and pour into a bottle. Enjoy!

Well, if you are like me you are amazed by the bread aspect. What the?!? Because yeast is spread on the bread, it's not there for the yeast factor. Is it to "seal" or filter out incoming dust or such? I was wondering if anyone else has ever run across anything similar?

I'm not a fan of beets, so wonder if the taste of them would be retained. In other words, i cannot imagine myself making this but am curious about the reasons for the bread. I've tried Googling it, to no avail.

message 39: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments I love beets, but there is no way I would make this drink.

Is the bread for some type of fermentation? Does it become an alcoholic drink?

If one has high blood pressure, beets help lower your pressure. I think by relaxing the blood vessels. Though I just have mine in salads. I get the trader joe's already cooked ones that are vacuumed packed. I will also through leftover ones in smoothies.

message 40: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Putting them in smoothies is a good idea. To me most beets taste like dirt and i've heard others say the same. I wonder if it's one of those things having to do with individual's taste buds, like cilantro tasting like soap?

I'm guessing the bread must be for fermentation but i cannot find any online reference to it & Magnusson didn't explain it. Frustrating!

message 41: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Buttermilk Banana Bread

Yield: 1 loaf

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 50 minutes

Total Time: 60 minutes

---- Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed brown bananas (3 medium sized bananas)
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda

---- Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer or by using a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla until combined.

Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and soda. Mix until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Let bread cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Loosen the bread with a knife and carefully remove from pan. Let the bread cool completely on the cooling rack. Slice and enjoy!

https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/bu...

message 42: by madrano (new)

madrano | 10334 comments I'm so glad we don't have an oven in this motel...that recipe sounds too good to wait! I'm already fond of cooking with buttermilk but this looks even better than other quick breads i've tried over the years.

message 43: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments I normally don't bake. However, this looked easy.

message 44: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Here is how to prepare grain-and-sugar-free avocado brownies:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup mashed avocado (about 1/2 an avocado)
1/2 cup cooked sweet potato
1/2 cup creamy nut butter (almond, cashew, tahini, etc)
1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons cacao powder

Instructions:

Bake Time: 20 minutes

Preheat the oven to 325° F, and line a regular size loaf pan with parchment paper, or grease it with coconut oil. Then, leave the chocolate chips aside, and blend all other ingredients in a blender. When they are mixed well, add the chocolate chips, and transfer the batter to the loaf pan.

Use a spoon to level the batter across the pan evenly, as it will be sticky and thick. Bake for 20 minutes.

The, leave it to cool and slice it.

http://healthy-life-box.com/no-wheat-...

message 45: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1216 comments Interesting that they don't consider maple syrup to be sugar.

message 46: by madrano (new)

madrano | 10334 comments True, Julie. I think the fact that's it's "natural" is what makes it qualify but i don't think a diabetic would agree. I'm intrigued by the recipe because it cooks as long as most brownies but i don't know what holds it together without any grain. It almost sounds more like a candy. My husband wasn't intrigued, so i will not be trying this, i'm sorry to say. If someone here does give it a try, please let us know how they turn out.

message 47: by Alias Reader (last edited Mar 15, 2018 03:06PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments 2 tablespoons of maple syrup is a lot less than the typical brownie recipe with white sugar.

Maybe because white sugar is considered a processed food and maple syrup is not.

message 48: by Alias Reader (last edited Mar 15, 2018 03:14PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments Peanut Butter pancakes

Mix 3 eggs, 3 ripe bananas, 1/2 cup low sodium peanut butter*, 3/4 tsp. baking soda, dash cinnamon in a bowl.

Pour 1/4 cup batter on on greased skillet. Cook on medium until bubbles form on pancake then flip.

Serve with fresh or warm blueberries , sliced banana, or other fruit.

* Read labels. Make sure the only ingredient is peanuts. No hydrogenated oils, sodium or sugar added.

message 49: by madrano (new)

madrano | 10334 comments Am i reading the recipe correctly? No flour? It seems as though it would never get cooked enough to flip. Have i forgotten how to make pancakes? :-)

message 50: by Alias Reader (last edited Mar 16, 2018 04:44PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17723 comments madrano wrote: "Am i reading the recipe correctly? No flour? It seems as though it would never get cooked enough to flip. Have i forgotten how to make pancakes? :-)"

Deb, I can't find the recipe that I copied. It was an advertisement from Jimmy Dean sausage and Eating Well magazine.

However, I do recall it was Paleo. So there would be no flour.

I googled and found this recipe. It's not exact but it's the same idea.

There are quite of few of these flour-less pancake recipes online.

-----------------------
So you want to go beyond just making a great paleo breakfast and make amazing some paleo pancake recipe of your own, huh?

Well, you’re in luck, we have a great 3-ingredient recipe for you that we’ve tweaked a bit for our own tastes. What we ended up with is what I would call absolute perfection.

Pancake is a mainstay breakfast meal. But is a pancake without having to use flour even possible? Well, tell you what, the paleo pancake recipe is the answer to your question. Yes! We can make pancakes out of paleo based ingredients. All you need to get are ripe bananas, eggs, and a heaping of almond butter. And here is how we do it in 3 simple steps.

First, Mash up the bananas, add in the egg and mix into the batter. Second, stir in the almond butter to the mix (more almond butter = more pancake-y type texture) then cover pan with butter or coconut oil. Third, cook the pancakes until brown on each side then top with fruit as needed. And there you have it! Your very own home made paleo pancake!

This paleo pancake recipe is very easy to make, and it is also a good source of potassium because of the banana as the main ingredient of this recipe and that is something that you don’t get from ordinary pancakes. Enjoy!

Paleo Pancake Recipe

The great thing about these pancakes is they are super simple to make. Case in point: this only takes 3 ingredients.

Paleo Diet Breakfast Pancakes

Paleo Pancakes
Calories 23 kcal

--- Ingredients

2 Ripe bananas
1 Egg
1 tbsp Heaping of almond butter

--- Instructions

Mash up the bananas
Add in the egg and mix into the batter
Stir in the almond butter to the mix (more almond butter = more pancake-y type texture)
Cover pan with butter or coconut oil
Cook the pancakes until brown on each side
Top with fruit as needed

https://ultimatepaleoguide.com/paleo-...

« previous 1 3 4