Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Archives - 2018 Challenges > 500 books by Nora

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Dec 30, 2017 11:56AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5730 comments Mod
Since this is our third year doing this challenge, it’s time to lower that goal, which is to read 500 books by Nora by December 31, 2018.

Here's how the challenge tool works:

1. You can find the challenge here or on the group home page.
2. After selecting the challenge, complete the information requested, including the number of Nora/J. D. Robb books you plan to complete in 2018 (Jan-Dec). Where it asks for a shelf name, type in your profile name. Save the information.
3. Go to your shelf and edit "bookshelves." Type in "2018-nora" (without the quotes) and then select "Add." This will be the shelf you'll use to track your progress (more to come). If you'd prefer another shelf name, feel free to create your own.
4. Return to the group home page and select "update my entry" and add the shelf name EXACTLY as follows, including the hyphen and lower case: 2018-nora (If you created a different name, enter it here. Be sure to use lower case and the hyphen.)
5. Click "Save."
6. You've now entered the challenge!

Now, how do you track your series progress?
Whenever you finish listening to a Nora/J. D. Robb book, add that book to your 2018-nora shelf. It will automatically be included in the challenge results. You'll need to go back and add all your January reads to this shelf. (It also has to be in "read" status with a 2018 date completed.)

Books you may have started at the end of December 2017 but finished reading in January should be included in your totals.

You may join the challenge anytime on or after January 1, 2018. We hope everyone will join!

message 2: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 164 comments I'll go again for 30 - recently I started re-reading the In Death series and there're still some books I not read yet - especially since Nora Roberts is one of the authors my libraries are not so fussy about - at least if I'm willing to read them in German :-)

message 3: by Vi ~ Inkvotary (new)

Vi ~ Inkvotary (inkvotary) | 126 comments I am in with only 2 books. Not much, I know, but I have no clue if I will have the time to re-read her older books. And the new ones aren´t yet out *smile*

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie | 386 comments Thanks for starting this one up again!!! I'm going for 25 for 2018. Will we do the "pages read" challenge again?? I sure hope so!!

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Absolutely!

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 567 comments I am go for 400 again I think I did this year if you court the box set I readed

message 7: by Agnieszka (last edited Jan 01, 2018 03:43AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 164 comments Barbara "Cookie" wrote: "I am go for 400 again I think I did this year if you court the box set I readed"

Do you really mean 400 Nora Roberts/JD Robb books this year allone or is it a typo? :-)
I was really convinced she's written something between 200 & 300 books

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 567 comments If was a typo I mean 4 not 400

message 9: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ | 156 comments I’m going to say 10 for this year.

message 10: by Tanvi (new)

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 79 comments I have been unable to meet the goals I set for both of the previous years and that just makes me very sad because I love NR and I don't know why I'm not picking up more of her books...this year I'm going to keep the goal at 5 books and then I'll see how it goes.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 12 comments I’m sure I’m good for at least 200.

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Garcia (ruth5garcia5) | 51 comments I'm aiming for 30 this year. I'm starting off with The Dream Trilogy.

Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑ (jenniferjustbeyondnormal) I am going for 30 again. I hit my 30 last year.

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda | 81 comments Question: If you meet your quota early can you add more books in?

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Absolutely. You don’t have to change your goal, however.

message 16: by Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑ (last edited Feb 21, 2018 10:29AM) (new)

Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑ (jenniferjustbeyondnormal) I have 8 of my 30 done. I am just about finished up with her 1983 books. Slowly working through the list :-)

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda | 81 comments Question - I rarely DNF Nora but I have just tried to read her Stars of Mithra series and couldn't get into any of them. So I have 3 books that are showing DNF but it automatically notes them as read. I haven't put them into my folder for this challenge as I don't think it is fair as I did my normal trick when a book bores me ( I skipped to the end). This correct or do you want me to include the books?

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

I think if you read at least 50% of the books before you gave up, they should be counted.

message 19: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 61 comments I can’t say I’ve read all of her books. I’ll put at about 60%.

I've read all of the IN DEATH series. I haven’t kept up with her standalone books in a long time.

Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑ (jenniferjustbeyondnormal) 14 of 30! Not sure I have ever DNF'd a Nora book. the books from the 80's can be a little rough to read, but that is just because of the time they were written. For me anyway.

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

Let me clarify...

I was responding to Linda’s question about whether she should count the three books she ended up categorizing as DNF as books read. If she’d read more than 50% of each book before quitting, they should be counted as read.

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda | 81 comments Thanks Jonetta for the reply, hopefully I won't have too many more books I have that reaction to. Knowing me I could probably pick the series up in a few years and read them quite happily. Just at the moment they didn't suit.

message 23: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 283 comments I'll participate again. Going to go for 10.

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

Yay!

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 98 comments Late to the game because it took me a while to figure out how to set it up, usually on my iPad so I figured out I actually had to set it up on my computer. I've been in a Nora/JD re-read mood this year and I read a lot so my goal will be high-I've already logged in 54 and will probably add a few more before the end of the year.

message 26: by Jonetta (new)

You can do this on your iPad (I do) but you have to switch from the mobile view to desktop, which is where I stay.

THANK YOU for joining!!!

Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑ (jenniferjustbeyondnormal) challenge complete.

message 28: by Jonetta (new)

Congrats Jennifer!

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

Yay! Looks like we’ve surpassed our goal! Right now, we’ve collectively read 597 books by Nora to date.

Congratulations to all who participated 🎉🎉🎉

Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑ (jenniferjustbeyondnormal) Awesome!! We sure rocked it this year!! Great job everyone!!

message 31: by Vi ~ Inkvotary (new)

Vi ~ Inkvotary (inkvotary) | 126 comments Jonetta wrote: "Yay! Looks like we’ve surpassed our goal! Right now, we’ve collectively read 597 books by Nora to date.

Congratulations to all who participated 🎉🎉🎉"

YAY! This is great! Are we doing this challenge in 2019 again? Would love to.

message 32: by Jonetta (new)

Absolutely!

message 33: by Vi ~ Inkvotary (new)

Vi ~ Inkvotary (inkvotary) | 126 comments Jonetta wrote: "Absolutely!"

Perfect! Can I already create the shelf for it following your above to read instructions? Or better not and wait until you post a new thread for 2019?

Best wishes
Vi

message 34: by Jonetta (last edited Dec 07, 2018 11:05AM) (new)

You may create your shelf but we cannot open the challenge until January 1.