Book Nook Cafe discussion

Movies,Theater, Music, & Art > Movies ~~ 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 774 (774 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

message 1: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17174 comments

Discuss movies you've recently seen. They can be old movies or new. Thumbs up or down...give us your review !

Heard some movie news? Tell us all about it !

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 2216 comments The Book of Henry
This is the story of a young man who is extremely smart watching over his mother, brother and the neighbor girl. When a major illness overcomes him, he leaves instructions for his mother to help her get by without him and also help the girl next door. I loved this movie but it did not do well. The subject matter is difficult and definitely adult oriented but I really connected with the young man and I loved the sets.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2685 comments Julie wrote: "The Book of Henry
This is the story of a young man who is extremely smart watching over his mother, brother and the neighbor girl. When a major illness overcomes him, he leaves instructions for his..."

Sounds like a good drama.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mkc2192) I watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. There was definitely some questionable writing choices and things that the main character did that would have definitely had consequences, but it's nothing I haven't seen in other revenge flicks and it is a movie so I'm allowed to suspend my belief. It was definitely entertaining and the acting was spectacular. I absolutely love Frances McDormand and to see her as this tough, anger-driven mother made for a fun and entertaining watch.

I give it a 4/5. Plot had some holes but I'm here for funny and tough women and will be watching it again and again.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2685 comments Tickyette wrote: "I watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. There was definitely some questionable writing choices and things that the main character did that would have definitely had consequences, but i..."

I definitely want to see this movie. Supposed to be Oscar material :)

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 2216 comments Tickyette wrote: "I watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. There was definitely some questionable writing choices and things that the main character did that would have definitely had consequences, but i..."

On my list to see.

message 7: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Ditto.

Book of Henry sounds good. Somehow (yet again) this is a film i have missed knowing about until now. Thanks.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2685 comments "Peggy Guggenheim: Art Addict" is a good documentary about the art collector/museum founder. She had a very interesting life....collecting art and collecting lovers. LOL

message 9: by Irfken (last edited Jan 05, 2018 11:58PM) (new)

Irfken | 126 comments I had difficulty sleeping last night and ended up watching True Lies, it was one of two Arnold movies that was on last night. It's a great bad movie. It was a lot fun and had some sensational scenes, I laughed all night. It is, however, riddled with issues and is longer than it's supposed to be, it had that old B movie feel in a lot of parts but on overall it was an enjoyable watch.

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2685 comments Irfken wrote: "I had difficulty sleeping last night and ended up watching True Lies, it was one of two Arnold movies that was on last night. It's a great bad movie. It was a lot fun and had some sensational scene..."

That's a fun movie. :)

message 11: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments HBO has been running some of his older movies, i've noticed. Of course i had to see my favorite parts of Terminator but just watched a bit of Kindergarten Cop. He was truly awful in that one but the kids and Pamela Reed atoned for his performance.

message 12: by Dru83 (new)

Dru83 | 217 comments Ahh... True Lies is indeed a classic even if it gets ridiculous at times. "We'll just drop a submachine gun down the stairs and it'll magically shoot all the bad guys". And of course, where else would we stage the final battle with the bad guy but on top of a Harrier fighter jet?

So... I watched In a Valley of Violence on HBO the other day. It's an interesting take on the traditional Western vengeance movie. It's not the greatest movie, and it's not all that uplifting, but there's plenty of action. The interactions between Ethan Hawke and John Travolta are what make the movie worth watching. John Travolta is the traditional father who doesn't like what his son has done, but has to defend him anyway because he's his son.

The other movie I've caught on HBO recently is Logan. It's a decent movie if you're into the X-Men. It's different seeing Wolverine being old and having weaknesses, but it's still neat for X-Men fans. It's good to see Patrick Stewart as Professor X again even if the character is showing his age through seizures that hurt the minds everyone around him. The young actress who plays Laura is quite good. It's a very violent movie though... almost too violent. It makes some of the previous X-Men movie seem tame in comparison with the amount of violence.

message 13: by Julie (last edited Jan 06, 2018 02:56PM) (new)

Julie (julielill) | 2216 comments I have had a lot of movies come in for me from the library -
The Lovers
I did not think I would like this but I did. A little slow in places but really liked this odd ball story about a couple who is having affairs with other people and the couple finally decides to end it but something happens that no one expects.

Wakefield
Talk about odd films- a man coming home after the train he was riding on broke down which forced him to walk home. Instead of going home he decides to camp out in his garage and watch his wife's reaction to him not coming home for the night. He keeps it up for a few days and then has no excuse for being late till it is too late to go home -or is it??? I love the ending.

My Cousin Rachel
What a beautifully filmed version of the 1951 novel by Daphne du Maurier. This is the suspenseful story of a cousin who plots revenge on his cousin for killing his guardian or did she?

message 14: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Wakefield sounds very good. I'm glad you shared about these,

message 15: by Julie (last edited Jan 07, 2018 02:12PM) (new)

Julie (julielill) | 2216 comments Hickok
This film stars the older brother, of the Hemsworth family, Liam and had a all-star cast but that was the only highlight of the film. There was a lot of over acting in this film and there something off about the coloring of the film. Can't recommend it!

The Perfect Family
Kathleen Turner, who I haven't seen in years, stars as a woman who is up for Catholic Woman of the Year except she finds out that her daughter is pregnant and her new partner is a woman. She also finds out her son is getting a divorce and she goes to extremes to hide those facts because of the award competition. This plot is so corny but despite that, I did enjoy it and it had some funny and sweet moments.

message 16: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Julie, at first i thought you were describing Serial Mom, the movie directed by John Waters. I looked it up & see it was released in '94. I guess Turner has that sort of skill to present as ideal mom, eh? Ideal maniacal mom?

message 17: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 126 comments I saw Mission: Impossible (1996) on Saturday and was very disappointed. It wasn't good, was filled with bland characters except for Tom Cruise's and had a highly predictable and boring plot. The latest one, Rogue Nation is definitely my favorite, it feels like an American James Bond. The first one, however, missed the mark for me.

I also watched Murder, She Said, one of my favorite films. It's a comedic and proactive take on Agatha Christie's Miss Marple, the title character being portrayed by the brilliant and effervescent Margaret Rutherford. I don't like admitting this but I am not a fan of Miss Marple but these Margaret Rutherford films changed that. She takes matters into her own hands rather than being a bystander.

message 18: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Rutherford was the best of the lot but i'm still not a fan of the Marple mysteries. Oddly, though, i've read quite a number. I just haven't liked any film version.

message 19: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 126 comments madrano wrote: "Rutherford was the best of the lot but i'm still not a fan of the Marple mysteries. Oddly, though, i've read quite a number. I just haven't liked any film version."

I never liked the Miss Marple books, nor any adaptation sans a few episodes of the recent TV show. I love Rutherford because she makes Miss Marple interesting and exciting while bringing humor, wit and charm.

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2685 comments Margaret Rutherford's 'Miss Marple' is the detecitve on steroids. :)

message 21: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Well stated, Barbara.

message 22: by Irfken (last edited Jan 09, 2018 02:24PM) (new)

Irfken | 126 comments Barbara wrote: "Margaret Rutherford's 'Miss Marple' is the detecitve on steroids. :)"

My sentiments exactly and I wouldn't have her be any other way. Haha.

message 23: by Irfken (last edited Jan 10, 2018 12:17PM) (new)

Irfken | 126 comments I watched Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, it's my favorite of the series. It has that James Bond feel that the rest have lacked. It's gorgeous to behold, filled with great and utterly charming characters and boasts some fantastic action sequences. It effortlessly combines old-fashioned spy thrills with modern sleekness, it's an edge-of-your-seat thriller that's funny, fun and compulsively watchable. I suggest it for all fans of action films.

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2685 comments Irfken wrote: "I watched Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation it's my favorite of the series, it has that James Bond feel that the rest have lacked. It's gorgeous to behold, filled with great and utterly charming c..."

I like all of the Mission: Impossible movies with Tom Cruise.

message 25: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 126 comments I watched Die Hard 2 last night and thoroughly loved it. Has anyone watched those old Airport movies from the 70's? Well, Die Hard 2 is Airport on steroids. It's a blast from start to finish, implausibility, insane action sequences and all. I think I may like it even more than the first one. It was action-packed, thrill-a-minute fun. I've been on an action binge recently and this has just continued it.

message 26: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments I vaguely recall seeing the original movie based on the book Airport by Arthur Hailey. Actually, i only saw the last 30 minutes or so. Given the '70s era, it still held up well today. A thriller is still a thriller, i reckon. One still holds her breathe.

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 2216 comments Irfken wrote: "I watched Die Hard 2 last night and thoroughly loved it. Has anyone watched those old Airport movies from the 70's? Well, Die Hard 2 is Airport on steroids. It's a blast from start to finish, impla..."

I love Die Hard 1 and 2. So thrill to watch.

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2685 comments "X-Men: Apocalypse" has plenty of action and good special effects. In the movie, one of the first 'mutants' - from ancient Egypt - comes back and wreaks havoc. If you're a fan of the films you'd probably like it.

message 29: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments I tend to get overwhelmed now by all the special effects movies to the point that they merge into one in my mind. X-Men is the hardest to keep in line due to the fact some of the characters have their own series of movies, such as Wolverine. However, i like ancient Egypt and mutant, so that sounds good. I've heard good things about Apocalypse, too.

message 30: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 126 comments I saw Quantum of Solace, Bond 22, last night and was thoroughly impressed by the action sequences, they are some of the best I've seen. That being said, the story was a humongous let-down. So much effort was put into the aesthetic that story-telling and character development fell to the wayside. It comes off as a sub-par by the numbers action film, it's narrative is it's downfall. Yes, it's pretty mediocre but if you're looking for great action scenes then you will be hard pressed to find better.

I also saw Call Me by Your Name and wasn't that impressed. It's one of those dime a dozen coming-of-age films, if you've seen one you've seen them all. It has nothing that truly sets it apart. It was sweet but an almost total bore. The critics have been singing it's praises but I found it to be sub-par and unspectacular. The last 10 minutes are superb but other than that it's just overrated.

message 31: by Julie (last edited Jan 13, 2018 02:34PM) (new)

Julie (julielill) | 2216 comments Gun Crazy 1950
Just recently, the actress Peggy Cummins died and I had no idea who she was but her most popular movie was Gun Crazy and our library system had it so I had to give it a go.
A young man who is a expert shot gets in trouble from robbing a store. He goes away to reform school and then to the military. Things are going well for him till he meets and falls in love with a young woman who itches for excitement and gets him involved in a crime spree. My husband and I enjoyed this oddball film. If you remember Russ Tamblyn, he portrays the main character as a child.

message 32: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Irfken, i'm glad you commented on Call Me by Your Name. I see the praises but when i see clips i'm close to yawning. Nothing i've heard has moved me to add it to my queue.

Julie, smart move. I saw the same obit and wondered why i didn't remember it. Most likely i just didn't see it. Now you have me wanting to do so. I remember Tamblyn, who was in West Side Story but in the Father of the Bride movies before that. Long career.

message 33: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 126 comments madrano wrote: "Irfken, i'm glad you commented on Call Me by Your Name. I see the praises but when i see clips i'm close to yawning. Nothing i've heard has moved me to add it to my queue.

Julie, smart move. I saw..."

I was hoping that Call Me by Your Name would be masterful but unfortunately it was just bland. I guess they don't make great movies anymore and since critics are jostling to find the next classic, they'll settle for anything given the rather mediocre output these days. I felt the same way about La La Land. It was a middling movie, lacking depth, character development and a sound plot. Yet it was heralded as the classic that the critics were waiting for. The music in La La Land was sub-par, the story was predictable and lifted from a myriad of similar musicals and the actors were acting like themselves, actors. In fact there was no story, it was a generic trope all round. It was just another movie using nostalgia to draw in the masses..

message 34: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 126 comments I saw Spectre, Bond 24, and I enjoyed it. I've always liked it. The visual aesthetic is gorgeous, the film looks absolutely sumptuous. The cinematography is brilliant and the action scenes are shot masterfully. Sure it gets ridiculous but that is where the charm of James Bond movies lie. It's my favorite of the recent crop of Bond films because it celebrates the rich legacy of James Bond and is the closest we'll get to the classic films with it's megalomaniacal villain, the sublime locations and the globetrotting excitement.

I also watched Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, it's one of the most boring films I've ever seen. Sure the first three MI films ranged from middling to downright awful but this one, however beautiful it looks, is the most snooze-worthy of all. For a supposed action-thriller, it lacks action and thrills and plot.

Bourne Identity, it wasn't for me. The idea is brilliant but the execution was not. It's also one of those action films lacking action and thrills, intrigue and chemistry between the leads.

message 35: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17174 comments Irfken wrote: I was hoping that Call Me by Your Name would be masterful but unfortunately it was just bland. ."

Someone at my gym just mentioned it to me. I thought I would try to get it from the library when it comes out on DVD as they mentioned it took place in italy.

I didn't realize it was a trilogy.

wiki
Call Me by Your Name is a 2017 romantic coming-of-age drama film directed by Luca Guadagnino and written by James Ivory, based on the 2007 novel of the same name by André Aciman. It is the third and final installment in Guadagnino's thematic Desire trilogy, following I Am Love (2009) and A Bigger Splash (2015). Set in Northern Italy in 1983, Call Me by Your Name chronicles the romantic relationship between Elio Perlman (Timothée Chalamet), a 17-year-old living in Italy, and his father's American assistant, Oliver (Armie Hammer). The film also stars Michael Stuhlbarg, Amira Casar, Esther Garrel, and Victoire Du Bois.

message 36: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments I didn't realize it was a trilogy, either, Alias. It seems odd that no one has mentioned that in reviews i've read.

Irfken, i think it has somehow become the norm for reviewers to praise even mediocre films. Do they feel obliged to promote them so they get early previews? I don't know but i've been much more disappointed than not.

LaLaLand is a perfect example. I've looked forward to being able to see that since it arrived on the screen. Now i have chances at least once a week, via HBO, and the bits i've seen look uninteresting, so i can't even motivate myself to watch it. Indeed, this is probably the straw to break the camel's back, as i was believing reviews, thinking i was the problem. While i'm not totally sure i'm not a big part, this may be because i am older & have seen more movies than those reviewers & movie-goers. I've seen much, much better musicals and the fact this one is contemporary doesn't cut much excitement if it doesn't even seem fresh.

End of tirade...

message 37: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie (bobbie572002) | 1084 comments I was with a group deciding what we wanted to watch one day and decided on LaLaLand. My mind kept drifting off and I remember asking -- so this was an award winning film right? I was not impressed. I think like you I definitely have seen better musicals. It made an impression because there hadn't been an original musical in so long. I was glad I hadn't paid to see it.

message 38: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 126 comments Alias Reader wrote: "Irfken wrote: I was hoping that Call Me by Your Name would be masterful but unfortunately it was just bland. ."

Someone at my gym just mentioned it to me. I thought I would try to get it from the ..."

Yes, it is part of a trilogy but not in the traditional sense. The films have nothing in common except that they take place in Italy and desire is a recurrent theme.

message 39: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 126 comments madrano wrote: "I didn't realize it was a trilogy, either, Alias. It seems odd that no one has mentioned that in reviews i've read.

Irfken, i think it has somehow become the norm for reviewers to praise even med..."

The term 'trilogy' is used very loosely when it comes to Call Me by Your Name and the other two films, one of which I've seen called A Bigger Splash. It's a thematic trilogy in that the recurrent theme is desire but otherwise they are separate entities.

I 100% agree. I don't think the reviewers have seen many musicals because if they had then I doubt La La Land would be causing them to lose their minds. I grew up on the musicals of yore and loved them and still love several modern musical as well. When I read that the critics were comparing this movie to the classics, I was intrigued. Suffice it to say I was duped. La La Land has nothing in common with old musicals. It's just an average story, one that's been told a dozen or so times before but usually without music. This time it was the same old story featuring forgettable tunes. Once again everyone went gaga over aesthetic and novelty, as Bobbie put it there haven't been many original adult-oriented musicals in a while. It was a waste of 90 minutes, there wasn't much story and so a short film would have been more appropriate.

In other news, I watched The Tourist starring Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. I've been meaning to watch it for a while but haven't found the time. It wasn't good, It was trying to be today's True Lies or a throw back to the classic romantic thrillers but that just didn't materialize. On the storytelling front it fell very short. The story feels like a television episode, very disposable and predictable. That being said, Angelina Jolie was quite good in it and it oozed glamour. The soundtrack was lovely too. On overall it's fun but disposable, nothing memorable.

message 40: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 93 comments Watched The Foreigner the other day. Action movies aren't my favorite genre, but I really enjoyed it. I don't care how old Jackie Chan gets, he'll always be a badass. And Pierce Brosnan is aging quite nicely.......

message 41: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17174 comments Irfken wrote: "Yes, it is part of a trilogy but not in the traditional sense. The films have nothing in common except that they take place in Italy and desire is a recurrent theme.

Thank you. So it's a stand alone film.

message 42: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Interesting about the trilogy aspect. I'm thinking there was a similar thing several years (decades?) ago from a French director. I'm thinking the titles were all primary colors or something. In my memory it seems not much connected them but it's been a long time &, frankly, i saw them spaced apart, so that i may well have missed the theme.

Anita, Chan is impressive, i agree. Ditto Brosnan.

I didn't like The Tourist nearly as much as you did, Irfken. To me it seemed the point was to highlight Jolie's style and glamor, which failed to register with me until it was all over. You mentioned it tried to suggest older classic movies. It reminded me of those awful 60s action movies with the likes of Dean Martin, wherein women were there for the fashion but could sometimes do something else. Much as i like Depp, i couldn't follow him into this film.

message 43: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 126 comments madrano wrote: "Interesting about the trilogy aspect. I'm thinking there was a similar thing several years (decades?) ago from a French director. I'm thinking the titles were all primary colors or something. In my..."

I didn't like The Tourist but the glamorous shots were lovely. The plot was abysmal and a massive let-down.

message 44: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments LOL--that was the impression i got from your original comments. Honestly, i even found the glamor shots annoying because i was seeing it through the glasses of one who didn't like that aspect of those '60s movies, including the goo-goo eyed male passengers on the train. The only way i could have disliked the film more was if those men broke out in a song & dance routine.

message 45: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 126 comments madrano wrote: "LOL--that was the impression i got from your original comments. Honestly, i even found the glamor shots annoying because i was seeing it through the glasses of one who didn't like that aspect of th..."

The plot was terrible and the twist was so ridiculous. When the film started, I was quite enjoying it. Suddenly it just went on a downward spiral of awfulness and never recovered. The potential was great but the final result was the opposite.
It marks another disappointing watch for me in the last couple of weeks, one that had potential but ended up being a dud. Can you believe the guy who directed it also directed The Lives of Others?

message 46: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Wow! No, i didn't know that. What went so terribly wrong? Hollywood?

message 47: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 126 comments madrano wrote: "Wow! No, i didn't know that. What went so terribly wrong? Hollywood?"

I think it must have been a lot of studio interference. The film is a remake of a French film.

message 48: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2685 comments "The Legend of Tarzan" - the 2016 movie stars Alexander Skaarsgard. Tarzan (now Lord Greystoke) goes back to the Congo to stop the Belgians from enslaving the population and stealing all the diamonds. Christolph Waltz plays a very convincing bad guy. I liked the movie. It's fun to see Tarzan swinging throught the jungle on vines.

"Nine Lives" - in this comedy a wealthy corporate workaholic (played by Kevin Spacey, pre-scandal) gets trapped in the body of a cat.....and learns his lesson about valuing his family and so on. This silly(ish) film has a great cast: Jennifer Garner, Christopher Walken, Mark Consuelos. Not gonna win awards but it's amusing.
(I so hate it that Spacey turned out to be an abusive scumbag.)

"Lion" - nominated for lots of Oscars; a young Indian boy gets lost far from home, is adopted by an Australian couple, and - 25 years later - finds his bio family (with great difficulty). Good movie. Very touching.

message 49: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Ah, remakes of good films from other nations. It's so rare they even approach the quality of the originals.

Barbara, that's an eclectic list of films. I haven't seen any of them but had Lion on my "Wanna Watch" list.

It's difficult to watch a number of actors & see films from certain producers now with the knowledge of the accusations against them. It's easier for viewing producers because i often haven't noticed until the ending credits, at which point the pleasure becomes muted.

message 50: by Brenna (new)

Brenna | 49 comments Maudie
About the life of artist Maud Lewis who suffered from arthritis and her relationship with her fish-peddler husband, starring Sally Hawkins and Ethan Hawke. This is a beautiful film, I was so impressed with it. Sally gives a delicate, yet strong performance and it is the best I've ever seen Ethan. It is a very hopeful and heartbreaking film. I was taken aback by it, just beautiful. I can't wait to see The Shape Of Water after how brilliant Sally Hawkins is in this film.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16