Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Adding New Books > Adding an Existing Book to Author's Page

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Turley | 10 comments I recently contributed a story to an anthology edited by someone else. I would like to add this book to my author's page, with the other person listed as the editor and myself as a contributor. However, the prompt on my author's page ("To add more [books], click here") only covers adding new books, not books already on Goodreads. In trying to enter the relevant information on the "Add a New Book" form, I ended up creating a new, spurious edition, with me listed as author and no rating information. I would like this bogus edition removed and the "real" book (which appears under my "Recent Updates" since I wrote a review of it) substituted for the bogus edition. A Goodreads support staff member told me that he had removed the bogus edition, which I would see after "clearing my cache." Unfortunately, I don't know what that means or how to do it! So my two dumb questions are: (1) How do I add an existing book to my author's page; and (2) How do I "clear my cache?" If you need to examine my author's page, it's at: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show.... Thanks!

message 2: by Empress (last edited Dec 30, 2017 12:24PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Hi Thomas

(1) How do I add an existing book to my author's page
- you ask here and preferably provide a link to the book to make it much easier for us. Or at least a title.

found the book ... working on this .....

- Merged the "bogus" (duplicate) hardback edition into the actual hardback.
- Added contributors to the other two editions of the book.

I assume this was it? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

(2) How do I "clear my cache?"
- you can google that but I don't think you need to do that. I think you had added two editions and the person that helped you deleted only one, rather than both. Maybe they misunderstood your request. I have resolved this for you. If by any chance you are seeing it on your author dashboard it will go away in few days.

message 3: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Turley | 10 comments Ellie,

Many thanks for deleting the false edition, and for getting me listed as a contributor to the book. Now that that's done, will the "official" version also appear under "Thomas A. Turley's Books" eventually? The false edition is gone, but the new one hasn't shown up yet. Thank you for clarifying the procedure for adding books, which I'll follow in the future. I appreciate your help!

Tom Turley

Tom

message 4: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Hi Thomas,

you are welcome.

I'm surprised I am not seeing the book on your author page yet. It should appear soon, but It make take a day or two.

All I can say is that the book will be visible on your public profile.

When you click on "Thomas A. Turley’s books" you get to this page where you can already see the book so it is just a matter of time until your profile displays it too.

I know authors have something called "author dashboard". That is something librarians have no access to and I honestly do not know if you will see the book there or if you only see books you are set as Primary author (such as "Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure of the Tainted Canister where your name is first"). I'm sorry. I would advise you to join this group if you have more author-related questions: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 5: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Turley | 10 comments Thank you!

message 6: by C.K. (new)

C.K. Combs | 3 comments I have the same kind of request. Should I start my own thread?

message 7: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments C.K. wrote: "I have the same kind of request. Should I start my own thread?"

Please do not bump a thread that is years old.
If the book is already listed on Goodreads please start a new thread in 'Book Issues' folder.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.