Book Nook Cafe discussion

Books > Kindles, Nooks, & Audio books ~ 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments

Here is the thread to discuss Kindles, Nooks, e-Reading, and audiobooks.

Share your thoughts and tips right here. :)

Read a good book on your eReader? Listened to a terrific audiobook? Did you find a terrific audiobook reader? Have an audiobook or eReader book you want to warn others away from? Dish here ! :)

Find any good deals on eBooks or audio books?

We want to hear all about it.

message 2: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments Audiobooks

Solo
by Kwame Alexander with Mary Rand Hess; narrated by Kwame Alexander with Randy Preston

What it's about: In engaging free verse and his own song lyrics, 17-year-old songwriter Blade Morrison relates the challenges he faces as the son of a drug-addicted rock musician. (Teen Fiction.)

Narration: In this AudioFile Earphones Award-winning recording, the author's own voice convincingly portrays the character he created.

Landscape with Invisible Hand
by M.T. Anderson; narrated by M.T. Anderson

What it's about: After the alien vuuv invasion destroyed earth's economy, chronically ill teenager Adam dreams of buying advanced medicine for his illness, which is available only to the ultra-rich. However, his scheme to earn cash from the vuuvs may not survive after he and his girlfriend break up. (Teen Science Fiction.)

Narration: Author M.T. Anderson sardonically renders this sophisticated social satire in a future-earth setting.

Ranger Games: A Story of Soldiers, Family and an Inexplicable Crime
by Ben Blum; narrated by Johnathan McClain

What it's about: In this sobering account, author Ben Blum tries to find out why his straight-arrow Army Ranger cousin Alex Blum became involved in a crime pulled off by some of his buddies. What happened to induce Alex to go along with this scheme? Ranger Games raises questions about the effects of military training on young men's moral compass. (Nonfiction.)

Narration: Johnathan McClain's resonant, laconic voice brings the scenes to life.

The Seagull
by Ann Cleeves; narrated by Janine Birkett

What it's about: In this 8th book in the series, D.I. Vera Stanhope visits an old adversary in prison and promises to look into a cold case. Much to her surprise, the case has connections with her late father. (Mystery.)

Why you might like it: Vera Stanhope's quirky character remains intact, even as the past haunts her with dark memories.

Narration: This is narrator Janine Birkett's 3rd Vera Stanhope production, and her clear, well-modulated voice will please Vera's fans.

Little & Lion
by Brandy Colbert; narrated by Alisha Wainwright

What it's about: On summer break in Los Angeles after a year at boarding school, Suzette is glad to reunite with her multiracial family. However, her brother Lionel, who has bipolar disorder, burdens her with an uneasy secret, and Suzette is confused by her attraction to two different people. (Teen Fiction.)

Narration: Alisha Wainwright evocatively portrays this emotionally complex, character-driven story about love and loyalty.

The Duchess Deal
by Tessa Dare; narrated by Mary Jane Wells

What it's about: Beauty meets Beast in this 1st in the Girl Meets Duke series: seamstress Emma Gladstone requests payment from the Duke of Ashbury for his ex-fiancée's wedding dress, but receives a marriage proposal instead. Can the Duke, who needs an heir, satisfy Emma's desire for a more romantic union? (Regency Historical Romance.)

Narration: Mary Jane Wells' engaging narration hits the right tone for the novel's witty banter, comedic situations, and emotional intensity.

Empire Made: My Search for an Outlaw Uncle
by Kief Hillsbery; narrated by James Cameron Stewart

What it is: In Empire Made, author Kief Hillsbery relates his travels following in the footsteps of a distant English uncle, who'd worked as an East India Company clerk in the 1840s and then "gone native." Going back and forth in time, Hillsbery also recounts his relative's experiences, including slices of Victorian-era gay life. (Nonfiction.)

Narration: James Cameron Stewart's British accent is especially well suited to rendering this narrative.

Good Me Bad Me
by Ali Land; narrated by Imogen Church

What it's about: At 15, Annie turned her mother in for serious crimes. Now she's living under an assumed name in a psychologist's home, preparing for her mother's trial, but her foster sister resents her and she's being bullied at school. Can she escape the influence of her mother's toxic personality? (Psychological Suspense.)

Why you might like it: This gripping debut is a tense, disturbing read.

Narration: Imogen Church presents a believable Annie while distinguishing clearly among the voices of various characters.

Emma in the Night
by Wendy Walker; narrated by Therese Plummer and Julia Whelan

What it's about: Sisters Cassandra and Emma disappeared together; three years later Cass reappeared alone with a complicated explanation. Now FBI forensic psychiatrist Abby Winter is sure that Cass isn't telling her everything. What really happened, and could their mother have played a role? (Psychological Suspense.)

Why you might like it: Unreliable witnesses, a dysfunctional family, and a convoluted plot will keep your attention.

Narration: Therese Plummer and Julia Whelan provide an intense narrative performance that powerfully supports the plot.

Sing, Unburied, Sing
by Jesmyn Ward; narrated by Kelvin Harrison Jr., Rutina Wesley, and Chris Chalk

What it is: The award-winning Sing, Unburied, Sing relates a powerful story of how the past affects the present and of deeply entrenched racism. Featuring 13-year-old biracial Jojo and his black, drug-addicted mother, the novel delivers deeply affecting characters, a strong sense of place (rural Mississippi), and a touch of magical realism. (Fiction.)

Narration: Kelvin Harrison Jr., Rutina Wesley, and Chris Chalk display their talents as they voice three distinct characters in a masterly rendition of this complex and affecting novel.

message 3: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments Comments about the narration is a good idea.

message 4: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments As we posted here in December author Sue Grafton passed away.

Her books in the popular alphabet series (A-O) are on sale today for $2.99 for the Kindle.

message 5: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments I'm probably the last person to read this book. Amazon has The Handmaid's Tale on sale for the Kindle for $3. So I bought it.

message 6: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments LOL--nope, i haven't read it either. This is shameful because back when she was a poet Margaret Atwood was one of my favorites. We were overseas when the tv/movie show last year aired, so missed the fanfare & associations made, which might have motivated me.

message 7: by Alias Reader (last edited Mar 04, 2018 01:28PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments madrano wrote: "LOL--nope, i haven't read it either. This is shameful because back when she was a poet Margaret Atwood was one of my favorites. We were overseas when the tv/movie show last year aired..."

It's still on the bestseller lists, deb. Probably due to the TV show. Which I didn't see as I don't get that channel. However, it is also currently popular because many say it resonates in today's political climate.

message 8: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments I've seen protest photos of women wearing the "habit".

message 9: by Alias Reader (new)

------ The Closest I've Come
by Fred Aceves; narrated by Christian Barillas

What it's about: Living in a poor neighborhood with his neglectful mother and her abusive boyfriend, it's hard for 15-year-old Marcos Rivas to see any way out. But when an unexpected opportunity arises -- his high school principal chooses him for a program for underachieving but promising students -- Marcos begins to let himself hope.

Narration: Actor Christian Barillas, who has a recurring role on the television show Modern Family, brings to life this gritty yet inspirational young adult story.

---- The Floating World
by C. Morgan Babst; narrated by Christa Lewis

What it's about: As Hurricane Katrina approaches, Creole artisan Joe Boisdoré and his high-society wife flee, while their eldest daughter, Cora, refuses to leave. Six weeks later, Joe and Tess have separated, and Cora is nearly catatonic. When a body is found in the house Cora had sheltered in during the storm, the question morphs from "What happened to Cora?" to "What did Cora do?"

Narration: Narrator Christa Lewis skillfully evokes a devastated and racially divided New Orleans in this complex tale.

---- The Last Mrs. Parrish
by Liv Constantine; narrated by Suzanne Elise Freeman and Meghan Wolf

What it's about: Amber Patterson wants one thing: to leave behind her poor background and land a wealthy husband -- in this case, Jackson Parrish. The fact that there's already a Mrs. Parrish doesn't bother her too much; she hopes to use Daphne Parrish to get to Jackson.

Is it for you? Fans of the amoral characters in Gone Girl will want to give this debut a try.

Narration: Suzanne Elise Freeman and Meghan Wolf give voice to the dual narratives in this psychological thriller.

----- Ali: A Life
by Jonathan Eig; narrated by Kevin R. Free

What it is: a sweeping biography of boxer Muhammad Ali, relating his family background, boxing career, the complexities of his celebrity status, and his later life. Author Jonathan Eig also examines political and personal controversies in the context of the 1960s, and draws on previously unavailable sources.

Book buzz: Eig is now working with filmmaker Ken Burns to make a documentary about Ali.

Narration: Read with enthusiasm by Kevin Free.

---- Sticky Fingers: The Life and Times of Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone Magazine
by Joe Hagan; narrated by Dennis Boutsikaris

What it is: a vividly descriptive portrait of Jann Wenner, the founder of Rolling Stone magazine. Beginning in 1967, Wenner piloted the counterculture, ultimately fulfilling his ambition to become the rock journalism equivalent of mainstream media-mogul Henry Luce.

Is it for you? Yes, if you're a fan of popular culture and rock music.

Narration: Dennis Boutsikaris has received eight Audie Awards and two Best Voices of the Year Awards from AudioFile.

----- Righteous: An IQ Novel
by Joe Ide; narrated by Sullivan Jones

What it's about: In this sequel to IQ, Isaiah “IQ” Quintabe continues to examine the circumstances surrounding his beloved brother Marcus' hit-and-run death eight years earlier. And when he and his volatile sidekick, Dodson, head to Sin City to help his ex-girlfriend’s sister, they end up dealing with Chinese gangsters and a formidable loan shark.

Narration: Sullivan Jones' reading will hook anyone looking for a modern, gritty take on Sherlock Holmes.

----- Wilde in Love: The Wildes of Lindow Castle
by Eloisa James; narrated by Susan Duerden

What it's about: In this 1st in The Wildes of Lindlow Castle romance series, the author of popular travel memoirs, globe-trotting Lord Alaric Wilde, returns to England to discover that he's a celebrity. Suddenly, women are throwing themselves at him. Well, except for the one he's truly interested in, Miss Wilhelmina "Willa" Ffynche, who's not at all impressed.

Narration: Listeners who enjoy British accents -- and verbal sparring -- will enjoy narrator Susan Duerden’s lively take on this Georgian romance.

---- Hanna Who Fell from the Sky
by Christopher Meades; narrated by Caitlin Kelly

What it's about: In her isolated town of Clearhaven, polygamy is the norm, so 17-year-old Hanna has never questioned that on her 18th birthday she'll become the fifth wife to a man three times her age. But a chance meeting with a stranger -- and a revelation from her mother -- has her thinking about other options.

Narration: The melodious, fluid voice of narrator Caitlin Kelly is a good match for this unusual coming-of-age novel, which weaves in elements of magical realism.

----- There's Someone Inside Your House
by Stephanie Perkins; narrated by Bahni Turpin

What it's about: Fans of young adult author Stephanie Perkins know that her books typically feature relatable characters, poignant emotions, and swoon-worthy love interests. This latest book, starring high school senior Makani, has all of those -- plus shady secrets and grisly serial murders.

Is it for you? If you love slasher flicks, you don't want to miss this thrilling new direction from a popular author.

Narration: Bahni Turpin moves skillfully between the romantic and horror elements of this chilling tale.

----- An Unkindness of Ghosts
by Rivers Solomon; narrated by Cherise Boothe

What it's about: Born into slavery aboard the starship Matilda, Aster Grey struggles to survive in a rigidly stratified society ruled by the elite of the upper decks. But Aster's discovery that something is wrong with the ship sets the stage for dramatic transformation -- both personal and political.

Narration: Cherise Boothe is an accomplished stage and television actress who has also twice been a finalist for an Audie Award, making her well-suited for this ambitious debut that tackles weighty topics like race, class, and gender.

message 10: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments Amazon
Free
for Kindle

The Great Gatsby & The Beautiful and Damned Kindle Edition
by F. Scott Fitzgerald

message 11: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments The notes about the narrator when listing audiobooks continues to delight me. It helps answer the question, "What ever happened to..?" In the above list, "Dennis Boutsikaris has received eight Audie Awards and two Best Voices of the Year Awards from AudioFile." I've liked his acting from way back (70s, i think) but see less of him. It seems to me it would a good pick for Sticky Fingers: The Life and Times of Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone Magazine by Joe Hagan.

I don't think i've heard an audio by a well-known name. Possibly this explains my unsuccessful history with the form.* Regardless, thanks, Alias.

*I just recalled that i did like my own daughter's audiobook. It was like having my kid in my ear...except this time 'round, i could just unplug myself from her. LOL!

message 12: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments madrano wrote: "I don't think i've heard an audio by a well-known name. Possibly this explains my unsuccessful history with the form.* Regardless, thanks, Alias. "

A lot of celeb read their own books. Quickly looking at my books on GoodReads- I listened to Dick Van Dyke read a few of his books. I also listened to Rita Morano do Sonia Sotomayor's book. Between the World and Me memoir read by the author. Leah Remini read her Scientology experience book. Alan Cumming read his memoir. Rosie Perez read her terrific memoir. Her accent really added to the story.

A lot of these are celeb memoirs. Perhaps you don't listen to that genre.

message 13: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments You are right, i rarely read that genre. Morano reading Sonia Sotomayor's My Beloved World sounds good, though, as i really liked that book.

It is interesting, though, that these are performers but when i've heard non-theatrical authors read their own material, i haven't liked it. Same with poetry, maybe it's that i imagine the words another way?

message 14: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments madrano wrote: It is interesting, though, that these are performers but when i've heard non-theatrical authors read their own material, i haven't liked it. Same with poetry, maybe it's that i imagine the words another way? .."

It really is a personal thing. The narrator can make or break a book for me.

message 15: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments A few months ago i mentioned that i stopped listening to Rainbow Rowell's Landline because the narrator bothered me. When i got the hard copy from the library, i whipped right through it. Clearly it wasn't about anything other than the voice acting.

message 16: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments This book is the movie tie-in. On sale at Amazon. The reviews seem quite good.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I plan on it. I may read the book, too.

Darkest Hour
By Anthony McCarten

The gripping true story that inspired the Academy Award–winning film: In his first days as Britain’s Prime Minister, Winston Churchill held the fate of the world in his hands. This well-written account of his wartime actions is impossible to put down.
$1.99

message 17: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments I wonder what makes this one different? Darkest Hour: How Churchill Brought England Back from the Brink is 400 pages or so. The description stated that it is a "day-by-day, often hour-by-hour account" from Anthony McCarten, so maybe that's the difference. Interesting.

message 18: by John (new)

John | 995 comments I've been making my way through the Marcus Didius Falco series over the past several weeks, now on #17 (of 20): See Delphi and Die. This is the last one read by Simon Prebble, whom I'll miss as a narrator. Rest are read by Christian Rodska, who did the first book as well. Some folks have mentioned disparagingly that these are 21st century characters playing at being ancient Romans. I can't say I'll totally disagree with that, but it does make the stories more approachable that way.
Hadn't realized until recently that after Falco's "retirement" there are currently five books in a spin-off series featuring his foster daughter, Albia, also a P. I.

message 19: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments I haven't heard of the series, John, but i've added it to my list. This sounds informative as well as fun. A sort of fleshing out of the ancients.

message 20: by John (new)

John | 995 comments Tackling Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby these days during a long European vacation (Ireland and UK). I hate bullies, so the school scene was incredibly depressing, but now that Nick has left the book has taken off more into a collection of quirky characters, which is what I wanted. Simon Vance does these books well.

message 21: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments John wrote: "Tackling Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby these days during a long European vacation (Ireland and UK). I hate bullies, so the school scene was incredibly depressing, but now that Nick has l..."

Enjoy your vacation, John !

message 22: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments Yes, enjoy the holiday! Neat travel reading, i think, too. I haven't read that Dickens, so am pleased to read your comments on it.

message 23: by Alias Reader (last edited May 12, 2018 07:30PM) (new)

---------- The Hazel Wood
by Melissa Albert; narrated by Rebecca Soler

What it's about: After years on the road with her mother, running from their freakishly bad luck, Alice is resourceful, tough, and angry -- qualities she'll need after her mom is kidnapped. Desperate to rescue her, Alice looks for clues from a forbidden source: Tales from the Hinterland, the cult classic book of sinister fairy tales written by her grandmother.

Narration: Rebecca Soler convincingly conveys the perspective of teen protagonist Alice.

---- Census
by Jesse Ball; narrated by Chris Andrew Ciulla

What it's about: The widowed father of young man with Down syndrome is dying -- and must figure out how to provide for his son after his death.

Narration: In this AudioFile Earphones Award-winning recording, Chris Andrew Ciulla's gentle narration highlights author Jesse Ball's allegorical and poetic prose.

-------- The Grave's A Fine and Private Place
by Alan Bradley

What it's about: This 9th entry in a charming series set in 1950s England finds Flavia and her two older sisters at a crossroads even as Flavia once again sets out to solve a murder. Newcomer? Start with the 1st book, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

Narration: Jayne Entwistle

-------- The Monk of Mokha
by Dave Eggers; narrated by Dion Graham

What it's about: Mokhtar Alkhanshali grew up in San Francisco's notorious Tenderloin district, lived with his grandparents in Yemen as a teen, and later moved back to the U.S. to pursue a career importing Yemeni coffee. Then, a 2015 civil war left Mokhtar stranded in Yemen, trying to get home via any path he could.

Narration: Listeners will find Dion Graham's stirring narration as nail-biting as Alkhanshali's remarkable true story.

----- The Woman in the Window
by A. J. Finn; narrated by Ann Marie Lee

What it's about: Anna Fox, agoraphobic and alcoholic (which doesn't mix well with her medications), likes to sit by the window and spy on her neighbors. When she witnesses what looks like a murder, no one will take her seriously. In fact, they claim the victim doesn't even exist.

Narration: Ann Marie Lee believably portrays Anna's descent into paranoia, modulating the pace and pitch of her voice to heighten the tension.

----- Force of Nature
by Jane Harper; narrated by Stephen Shanahan

What it's about: Whistleblower Alice Russell disappears while on a corporate retreat with four other women in the Australian Bush. Federal agents Aaron Falk and Carmen Cooper, who were working with her on a money laundering case, uncover plenty of possible suspects, including a serial killer's son.

Narration: Stephen Shanahan's Australian accent is perfectly suited to the setting of this intriguing whodunit.

----- Speak No Evil
by Uzodinma Iweala; narrated by Prentice Onayemi and Julia Whelan

What it's about: Star athlete Niru is bound for the Ivy League...until his loving but traditional Nigerian parents discover that he's gay. The repercussions are violent and far-reaching.

Narration: Prentice Onayemi sympathetically captures Niru's fraught life, alternating between a light tone for his public persona and a brooding tone for his private doubts and insecurities. Julia Whelan's performance as Niru's best friend Meredith emphasizes the girl's struggle to reconcile her role in Niru's outing.

------ Feel Free: Essays
by Zadie Smith; narrated by Nikki Amuka-Bird

What it is: a collection of essays from novelist Zadie Smith, on topics ranging from social media and British politics to pop culture and American race relations. She also writes about books, paintings, and people (like singer Billie Holliday, comedy duo Key and Peele, and author J.G. Ballard).

Narration: British actress Nikki Amuka-Bird's confident narration is well-matched to this sprawling collection, traversing disparate topics with ease.

----- Educated: A Memoir
by Tara Westover; narrated by Julia Whelan

What it's about: Raised in a fundamentalist Mormon family who prepped for the "end of days," Tara Westover grew up without a formal education. Hungering for knowledge, she began educating herself, eventually pursuing an academic career at Harvard and Cambridge.

Narration: Julia Whelan's smooth, straightforward narration underscores the traumas described in this gripping memoir.

------ Grist Mill Road
by Christopher J. Yates; narrated by Dan Bittner, Will Damron, Graham Halstead, and Saskia Maarleveld

What it's about: In this dark, chilling literary tale, a terrible crime in the woods links Patrick, Hannah, and Matthew together -- and 26 years later, when all three reunite, the results are devastating.

Narration: Shifting perspectives are conveyed to captivating effect by narrators Dan Bittner, Graham Halstead, and Saskia Maarleveld; Will Damron provides tight omniscient narration of the characters' unsettling reunion as adults.

message 24: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments I'm intrigued that Westover didn't narrate her own book. Indeed, i'm often curious how such decisions are made. In her case, judging from the interviews of her i've seen, it appears to me that her voice would have been a natural for this project. Go figure, eh? Maybe she couldn't breath so the microphones wouldn't pick it up.

message 25: by Petra (new)

Petra | 984 comments Alias Reader wrote: "Audiobooks

-------- The Grave's A Fine and Private Place ..."

This was the only Flavia de Luce book I read (won it in a Giveaway). I prefer the audio books. The narration is wonderful and the stories are just right for listening to while commuting.

message 26: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments Gosh, it seems that Flavia books would be ideal for listening pleasure. I hadn't considered that until your post, Petra. It's a way i can "read" them without "reading" them.

message 27: by Ann_R (new)

Ann_R (ann_reads) Not about a specific book but has anyone ever (purposely) permanently deleted some of their kindle books? (It can be done through the Amazon website, using the "Your Content and Devices" link.)

I recently did a kindle book purge and it ended up being a relief. Some of my past ebook choices & freebies (back to 2012) no longer interested me. For the Kindle books I had read, it was hard to let go of some titles. It helped to ask myself if I owned a paper copy, would I keep it or be interested in a reread. I still kept some anyway, just in case, but my "library" seems more manageable now.

message 28: by John (new)

John | 995 comments Sure, I rarely reread books so usually delete Kindle books when I'm done.

message 29: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments I haven't deleted.

But I thought if I did, they would go to the cloud and I could retrieve them. Is that correct ?

message 30: by Ann_R (last edited May 17, 2018 02:05PM) (new)

Ann_R (ann_reads) Thanks for your comment, John. I think I'll delete ebooks more often now, even though they don't take up physical space.

message 31: by Ann_R (last edited May 17, 2018 02:24PM) (new)

Ann_R (ann_reads) Alias Reader wrote: "I haven't deleted.

But I thought if I did, they would go to the cloud and I could retrieve them. Is that correct ?"

No, technically I was referring to permanently deleting them from "the cloud" through Amazon's website. (It cannot be done using the kindle book app.) On my kindle device, when I go to BOOKS >> LIBRARY >>ALL , the books I deleted are no longer listed.

Using my kindle, I regularly remove downloaded ebooks from my device, but they are still available "in the cloud".

Sorry, if I made things confusing.

message 32: by John (new)

John | 995 comments To delete books for good requires going through the Manage Content and Devices aspect of one's account. I'd rather have a more streamlined list.

For Audible books, I mark them as read, but keep my phone app set to display unread only.

message 33: by Ann_R (new)

Ann_R (ann_reads) John wrote: "To delete books for good requires going through the Manage Content and Devices aspect of one's account. I'd rather have a more streamlined list. ..."

Yes, that's what I was going for; a more streamlined list of kindle books in my library. It is really easy to accumulate digital books, which makes for a long list. The "search function" helps, if one can recall the correct title. :-)

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1208 comments The only kindle books I have deleted from the cloud are library books because I can't read them unless I get the book again anyway. They were still showing up in my cloud list on some devices and were annoying me because I thought I owned them! I'm assuming they stay in the cloud in order to save your highlights and stuff if you get the book again.
I would probably never delete a book I actually paid for. It doesn't take up physical space.

message 35: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments That's what I do , Julie. I don't feel they clutter my kindle as I don't see the titles that are in the cloud.

message 36: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments I have yet to purchase an ebook, so haven't checked to see if my library books are in my cloud. That would bug me. Personally, i thought the beauty of the cloud and book buying is that one could keep them forever without needing to use physical space! :-)

message 37: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 225 comments madrano wrote: "I have yet to purchase an ebook, so haven't checked to see if my library books are in my cloud. That would bug me. Personally, i thought the beauty of the cloud and book buying is that one could ke..."

A borrowed book wouldn't be in your cloud. It disappears when it's returned. Though when I accidentally borrowed a book from Amazon, they told me I had to go to the cloud in order to return it. Once I did that it was gone.

message 38: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments Oh, thanks for that info, Shomeret.

message 39: by John (new)

John | 995 comments Library books have a two-step process - -

One "returns" the book from Manage Content and Devices, which does just that, changes the status from borrowed to returned; I have not had it happen, but I suppose the same is true when an ebook expires.

At that point, the title remains in one's Kindle listings as a" shadow" item, in case the borrower wants to preserve highlighting and notes (?) for future borrowing or purchase. To remove the title from the cloud, one has to delete the book (again).

message 40: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments This seems to explain why (when we are on a cruise, for instance) an expired library ebook remains as an icon but i cannot open it. And, when i sometimes am able to get the book as soon as i "return" it, my notes are saved. Light dawns on Borrower Deb.

message 41: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1208 comments John wrote: "One "returns" the book from Manage Content and Devices, which does just that, changes the status from borrowed to returned; I have not had it happen, but I suppose the same is true when an ebook expires...."

Yep, mine all say "Borrow Expired" next to them in the cloud. (I don't normally return library kindle books, I just let them expire).

message 42: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments Julie, am i correct in presuming that this means the book itself is off your cloud and only the notation remains? For me, i never see the book again, making it harder for me to remember what book i left unfinished when they expire. That notation would help.

message 43: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1208 comments Not sure what you are asking. It remains listed in the cloud on amazon.com under "Manage Your Content and Devices" but it should disappear off your kindle itself if you have your wifi on. That's if you have a regular kindle. But my kindle fire allows me to see everything in the cloud and it will show it to me there. That's what I find confusing because I think I own it and can read it when I can't.

message 44: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments Ok, i see what you mean. It's all about the wifi. Thanks, Julie.

message 45: by Alias Reader (last edited May 23, 2018 05:56PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments Does anyone know if I purchase the Kindle version of
The Guns of August for $8.99
and click on: Add Audible book to your purchase for just $7.49

Does this mean I can read AND listen to the audio at the same time?
I want to follow along as the book is read.

Also if they offer the narration does that mean the audio and the kindle book are exactly the same edition. So they will match up as I read along?

Anyone read ?
The First World War-John Keegan

I am looking for 2 things in a WWI book.
- a book that is preferable around 300-400 pages.
- a book that does not focus a lot of military strategy and battles.

I want to know more about the people.

Thanks !

message 46: by John (new)

John | 995 comments I'm a bit confused. Of course you can read along at the same time - Audible likes to tout that feature (immersion?). As for the same edition, the text of the unabridged book should be the same. I'm not sure which audiobook you are looking at as Audible appears to have two editions, but John Lee and Nadia May are each high quality narrators.

message 47: by Alias Reader (last edited May 23, 2018 07:14PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments I read a post online that said you can only do one at a time; Read the book or listen to the audio. Maybe it was an old post and now Amazon lets you do both at the same time.

Thanks, John !

message 48: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17227 comments Today I noticed that this one is on sale for the Kindle for $2. It's been on my list so I purchased it.

The Stranger in the Woods The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit---Michael Finkel

Many people dream of escaping modern life, but most will never act on it. This is the remarkable true story of a man who lived alone in the woods of Maine for 27 years, making this dream a reality—not out of anger at the world, but simply because he preferred to live on his own.

A New York Times bestseller

In 1986, a shy and intelligent twenty-year-old named Christopher Knight left his home in Massachusetts, drove to Maine, and disappeared into the forest. He would not have a conversation with another human being until nearly three decades later, when he was arrested for stealing food. Living in a tent even through brutal winters, he had survived by his wits and courage, developing ingenious ways to store edibles and water, and to avoid freezing to death. He broke into nearby cottages for food, clothing, reading material, and other provisions, taking only what he needed but terrifying a community never able to solve the mysterious burglaries. Based on extensive interviews with Knight himself, this is a vividly detailed account of his secluded life—why did he leave? what did he learn?—as well as the challenges he has faced since returning to the world. It is a gripping story of survival that asks fundamental questions about solitude, community, and what makes a good life, and a deeply moving portrait of a man who was determined to live his own way, and succeeded.

message 49: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9820 comments Sounds good and great price!

message 50: by trekkie_957 (new)

trekkie_957 | 9 comments Thanks for the info! I just came across this one earlier today and it sounds pretty interesting...

« previous 1